As the title says, I need a good practice amp. I have settled on a PRS SE Singlecut, a Peavey Triple XXX Super 40 combo, and a Boss ME-50 as my main rig (I'll be buying all that soon). I know you'll all have comments about that, but I need help with the last thing I'll add to my gear, the practice amp.

The main problem I'm having is I'll be bring an amp to school for rehearsals and stuff, maybe up to 3 times a week, and I don't want to bring my big ol' tubey back and forth every time. It's heavy, cumbersome, and I don't wanna be banging it around over and over every two days. What I need help with is, which practice amp should I get that has DECENT (not necessarily AWESOME) tone, that I can practice with alongside a drummer, another guitarist, and a bassist? (this is not our own band, this is like a school band, we'll be playing stuff for the school) I don't want to compromise a lot of tone, but I need at maximum a 20 watt solidstate. I only plan to bring the Triple XXX to the actual shows, but for rehearsals, I need something light, dependable, and decent in tone.

Again, the things I need:
-around or under 20 watts SS. I'll be playing with the usual band setup, drummer, guitarist, bassist, singers. I don't need one loud enough for any audience, just for us to hear each other. We won't be playing very loud music either anyway, no metal or heavy rock, so it doesn't need to be THAT loud, just loud enough.
-one that won't greatly compromise tone; again, I'll be using a PRS SE and Boss ME-50 multi-effects.(I know you all have comments about that but lets stick with discussing the practice amp ) For the actual shows I'll be using the Triple XXX so tone isn't THAT big of a deal here, because I won't have an audience while using the practice amp. I don't want a crappy one though, I hope you get me
-I would very much like one with some kind of direct out or line out for putting through a PA system. With your suggestions, could you say whether the amp you're suggesting also monitors while that line out is being used? In other words, whether the amp's speaker is still in use when the line out to a PA system is being used.

I hope I made sense. I really need help here.. any suggestions will be greatly, greatly appreciated.

P.S. as for budget, I'm guessing the best SS practice amp under 20 watts will still be within my budget, so I just need suggestions that fit the criteria. Thanks again in advance.
You say you want an SS one, but seeing as you'll be getting effects from your Boss, you could get a small valve amp like a Peavey Super Colossal, Epiphone Valve Jr, Crate Blackheart etc. That way, you'll have the same volume as a 20W SS amp, but it will sound better at the higher volumes.

Though if you're set on SS, or your budget dictates that, there's the Vox Valvetronix, Roland Cube, Fender G-DEC ranges ...

Do you have a specific budget in mind?
Last edited by blue_strat at May 16, 2008,
If you're using the ME-50, I'd go with a Roland Cube because the effects will sound very good through it. I'd say the 30 or 50, to have a little extra volume just in case.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
not really...I'm thinking, the most expensive under-20-watt SS would probably still be within my budget.
Quote by Sid McCall
If you're using the ME-50, I'd go with a Roland Cube because the effects will sound very good through it. I'd say the 30 or 50, to have a little extra volume just in case.

yeah, I've been considering the Cube..I just won't be using the effects on it, so I might be spending extra money on something I don't need. wait, the Cube has its own effects right? correct me if I'm wrong..
I'd go with a Roland Cube. They have inbuilt effects that are apparently pretty good, and they're probably one of the most respected solid state practice amps.
I dont think you're gonna cover a drummer, a guitarist, and bassist with a 20 watt amp...maybe just enough, but 10 more watts might be useful. I've heard good things from Roland Cubes. They have a 30 watter.

Any "line out" should have the speaker still remain on, otherwise the jack would be labeled as "extension speaker." Unless theres some cheap amps that don't label things right...
TheBurningFish wrote:
I don't mean to generalise but I don't believe the average Coldplay fan is a massive musical theory nut.

FS/FT: Cort SP1 Stratocaster
Zoom GFX5 fx processor
Washburn BD40 amp
$100 each OBO
Quote by emr_steelmech

Any "line out" should have the speaker still remain on, otherwise the jack would be labeled as "extension speaker." Unless theres some cheap amps that don't label things right...

ahh...does the roland cube have a line out or extension speaker then?
If you have effects already, I honestly would suggest the Peavey Trans-tube series...they're the closest I've seen a SS come to tube-sound. Still not there, but better than most solid states. Crate has some good ones too.

The line out on the Cube mutes it, btw

edit: The Cube 60 has an external speaker out, I dunno about the smaller ones.
Nope, no sig here.
Last edited by Mutant Corn at May 16, 2008,
yeah, those are one of my options. How about the other little peaveys, the Audition, Backstage, and Solo?
the peavey transtube rage has a direct out and a headphone jack, I'm guessing the direct out means line out, am I correct?
the distortion on a peavey backstage ive tried was the worst thing ive ever heard in my life
Inspired by Ibanez RGA321F Prestige, Gibson Les Paul Standard