Just out of curiosity, what difference would replacing the pots in a guitar make? I've read many recommendations to replace the stock pots in the Fender '72 Telecaster Deluxe with 1K (?) pots instead...
Well, pots generally give a slight difference in tone, the higher the value the brighter the sound. Single coils generally need 250K pots and buckers need 500K. Your were probably suggested to use a 1 Meg pot, not 1K, but I never used one of those so can't comment on the sound.

The difference is definitly audible though, people always think for example the 490r and 498t stink, but a big part of the muddy undifined sound newer gibsons give is due to their use of 300K pots. I switched my 300K pots for 500K pots and it opened up the sound nicely. Also, the more pots you have the darker your tone.

I think a tele with 1 meg pots is insanely bright, tele's are already bright, but with a 1 meg pot.... :S
Gear:
Gibson les paul Studio faded, modded Buckethead style (killswitch, 1 tone, 1 vol)
Taylor Big Baby 306-GB
Modded Cort KX-5, runaway (neck) and warthog (bridge)
Laney VC-15
Digitech Bad Monkey, EH Big Muff, crybaby JH-1
Quote by Octavianus
I think a tele with 1 meg pots is insanely bright, tele's are already bright, but with a 1 meg pot.... :S
Regular Tele, yes. But this is a '72 Deluxe. Dual HBs.

TS, That's probably 1Meg not 1K. 1K would be ridiculously low.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
Regular Tele, yes. But this is a '72 Deluxe. Dual HBs.

TS, That's probably 1Meg not 1K. 1K would be ridiculously low.

In the words of mr. Simpson.....

DOH!
Gear:
Gibson les paul Studio faded, modded Buckethead style (killswitch, 1 tone, 1 vol)
Taylor Big Baby 306-GB
Modded Cort KX-5, runaway (neck) and warthog (bridge)
Laney VC-15
Digitech Bad Monkey, EH Big Muff, crybaby JH-1