i want to build a guitar from scratch, and having read lots of stuff already i think i would still benefit from a very thorough book on the topic.

can anyone advise a book that could give me all the advice i need to make a good quality instrument for my first time? preferably a book that can be ordered through amazon, since i dont really live near any decent book stores, but if its a really good book, then i'll make the exception.

cheers everyone
Make Your Own Electric Guitar [Paperback] by Hiscock, Melvyn

look into this, I have it and it looks pretty comprehensive, and amazon is where i bought it.
Quote by Helpy Helperton
Make Your Own Electric Guitar [Paperback] by Hiscock, Melvyn

look into this, I have it and it looks pretty comprehensive, and amazon is where i bought it.

you can learn everything that's in that book by searching the net.
GEAR:
Epiphone LP special model 2 (Heavily modded - killswitch and custom midi X-Y touch pad).
Digitech Whammy, Zvex Fuzz Factory, Boss Dynamic Wah, Electro harmonix Little Big Muff, Zoom G7.1ut, Digitech Grunge, Korg KP2.
Marshall AVT 50x
Quote by funguy
you can learn everything that's in that book by searching the net.

did you even read the guys question? he's said he thinks he would benefit from having a thorough book on the subject, you can't read the internet when sitting on the bog or out in the garage which is where i read my book mostly haha
yeah, thats what im thinking.

reading online is what i plan to do first off, and that'll be great as a background (ive already started) but i dont really have a habit of remembering stuff like this very well, so i wanted a book to have with me for when i'm doing it. plus i would imagine it will put it in a sort of order of how to do, whereas online i might end up getting things wrong because i should have done something else first
Quote by CobenBlack
yeah, thats what im thinking.

reading online is what i plan to do first off, and that'll be great as a background (ive already started) but i dont really have a habit of remembering stuff like this very well, so i wanted a book to have with me for when i'm doing it. plus i would imagine it will put it in a sort of order of how to do, whereas online i might end up getting things wrong because i should have done something else first

print off all the useful info as you do it. read it and bullet point it all the important stuff.
GEAR:
Epiphone LP special model 2 (Heavily modded - killswitch and custom midi X-Y touch pad).
Digitech Whammy, Zvex Fuzz Factory, Boss Dynamic Wah, Electro harmonix Little Big Muff, Zoom G7.1ut, Digitech Grunge, Korg KP2.
Marshall AVT 50x
Quote by Helpy Helperton
did you even read the guys question? he's said he thinks he would benefit from having a thorough book on the subject, you can't read the internet when sitting on the bog or out in the garage which is where i read my book mostly haha

Laptops, toss linux on an ipod, PDA, etc.

I do enjoy having some quiet time with a tangible book, though.
Last edited by JohnnyBeep at May 17, 2008,
not everyone has a wireless internet connection, signal strength is about 5% in my house for some reason.
I was thinking more along the lines of using something like HTTrack to pull the site content locally, then viewing via mobile device.
Quote by JohnnyBeep
I was thinking more along the lines of using something like HTTrack to pull the site content locally, then viewing via mobile device.

right, because that's easier than reading a book
Quote by JohnnyBeep
It's not a difficult process and depending on how much your read, it's economically sound.

less difficult than turning a page with one finger?
Cheers for that cajunboy2k!
Quote by Kensai

Awesome guy right here
Quote by Helpy Helperton
less difficult than turning a page with one finger?

Like I said earlier, it depends how much you read. Taking a few minutes to keep things digital for the sake of a portable library and saving some cash in the process is well worth it to me.

When I finish one book, I can use one finger to open another and turn pages... Wherever I am.