hey there.

so here's the deal:
my dad had an old wireless headphone, so I used it to make an wireless system for my guitar. I have everything working now. but the transmitter uses an 12V adapter, and it isn't very useful if I can play 50m away from the amp but I do have to plug the adapter in. anyone knows how I can make a 12V battery or something like that? like connecting 2 6V batteries?

Thanks, Farether
A hero of war, Yeah that's what I'll be

(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)
You could use a 9v battery perhaps. Or you could try one of those tiny 12v batteries they use in car keychain remotes.

They both probably wouldnt last long.
Quote by Orethor
What current does the adaptor supply

the input is 230V and the output it 12V regulated and 200mA

edit: If I can find an 12V battery somewhere, how can I connect it to the transmitter?

(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)
Quote by Farether
the input is 230V and the output it 12V regulated and 200mA

edit: If I can find an 12V battery somewhere, how can I connect it to the transmitter?

My car uses a 12V battery:

(Invalid img)

495A though.

Quote by -MintSauce-

(Invalid img)

495A though.

XD, but I think it's a little bit big and heavy

Go to Radio Shack and find a small 12v battery pack with charger.

Read this:
http://www.bradlinder.net/2007/07/building-external-battery-pack-for.html

He uses that to power a Zoom H4 Handy Recorder.
Irrelevant quote from obscure person
Obnoxious statement regarding size of e-ween
Italicized text indicating bandwagoning masquerading as deep thought
ASCII graphic that will take over the world if you put one in your signature
Made up statistic
you could use 2 9V batteries in series with a resistor. 200 to 300 ohm resistor would do the trick. It'd be the cheapest of all these solutions.
Quote by -MintSauce-

(Invalid img)

495A though.

do that, carry it in a backpack, hell maybe throw a camelback system in there. great idea Mintsauce

but no, seriously, im liking the idea of two 9v's with resistors..maybe build it and put it in a little encloser that could attach to your strap, or just put the circuit inside the guitar. whatever you think, best of luck dude.

Quote by Invader Jim
The questions people ask here makes me wonder how the TS's dress themselves in the morning and can shower without drowning...
I saw you said 200mA and that'll drain a 9v really quick. Best bet is going to radioshack and find something that holds 8 AA batteries. that's 12 volts and it'll last forever whereas the 9 volts will last 20 -30 minutes with a 200 Ohm resistor
8 AA batteries is a lot. a lot of weight. where can you store that in or on your guitar? or, just get a button cell 12 V.
Quote by Invader Jim
The questions people ask here makes me wonder how the TS's dress themselves in the morning and can shower without drowning...
Quote by Farether
hey there.

so here's the deal:
my dad had an old wireless headphone, so I used it to make an wireless system for my guitar. I have everything working now. but the transmitter uses an 12V adapter, and it isn't very useful if I can play 50m away from the amp but I do have to plug the adapter in. anyone knows how I can make a 12V battery or something like that? like connecting 2 6V batteries?

Thanks, Farether
I think you may have a problem here. Transmitters for wireless guitar rigs are designed with the limitations of batteries in mind. Not so for this transmitter for the headphones. Before choosing a battery and using this on your guitar, you should put a 1 ohm resistor in series with the adapter. Then measure the voltage drop across the resistor when running the system. 1 mV = 1 mA. Or just use a ammeter in series to measure the current if you have one. Some of the smaller batteries suggested may not be suitable.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
I think you may have a problem here. Transmitters for wireless guitar rigs are designed with the limitations of batteries in mind. Not so for this transmitter for the headphones. Before choosing a battery and using this on your guitar, you should put a 1 ohm resistor in series with the adapter. Then measure the voltage drop across the resistor when running the system. 1 mV = 1 mA. Or just use a ammeter in series to measure the current if you have one. Some of the smaller batteries suggested may not be suitable.

+1

But you can try 2 9 volts with a 200 ohm resistor. it's certainly be cheap enough to do and if it doesn't work try something else
for the record, two 9 volt batteries don't give you 18 volts... its still 9 volts...

and I know theres a store in my home town called battery geeks or something, that make custom batteries and packs... i'm sure you could make a rechargeable one that can fit in your pocket or something...

just looked at some 12 volt battery packs and the ones I saw where kinda expernsive
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
Last edited by ICANSEEYOU7687 at May 16, 2008,
^ Pretty sure you can wire batteries to give you either the same voltage but with increased current/battery life, or with cumulative voltage...
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by ICANSEEYOU7687
for the record, two 9 volt batteries don't give you 18 volts... its still 9 volts...

and I know theres a store in my home town called battery geeks or something, that make custom batteries and packs... i'm sure you could make a rechargeable one that can fit in your pocket or something...

just looked at some 12 volt battery packs and the ones I saw where kinda expernsive

Two 9V batteries in series -> 18V.
Quote by -MintSauce-
Two 9V batteries in series -> 18V.

...and two 9V batteries in parallel -> 9V

whichever is best for your application
Call me Dan

Gear:
2015 Les Paul Studio - Wine Red
Ibanez SA120 (black)
Marshall MG100HDFX
Custom Les Paul (work in progress)
About 10 other guitars and a big pedalboard. lol
you'd want them in series to get 18V then after that you figure your drawing around 20 mA

EMF - V = Vnet V=IR I= 20mA? 6v = .02A x R R =300Ohms

18 - 6 = 12 which is total output. I said 200 so he'd get a bit better battery life and possibly extended range.

Oh and you can get 2 9V batteries to equal 18V. In parallel Voltage is constant and amperage adds. In series, Voltage adds and amperage is constant.
Last edited by ESP_Shreder at May 17, 2008,