When im practicing changing between major and minor chords, i set my metronome to a certain bpm and practice changing between a pair of them, such as A and D, D and E etc. then build up my speed by increasing the bpm. I find it works quite well for me. was wondering if this is a good method of practice or if anyone else has any other methods you've had success with?

Also im trying to make sure i get each chord change to a good speed before moving onto the next set of chords, how fast should i be able to change chords is terms of bpm before i move on from that set of chords?
no clue in terms of bpm but you should be able to do it almost instantly.....go learn desire by u2...it just uses D A E....it'll get you more used to the actual feel of switching chords
might be a good idea to practise chord changes with songs that you like. makes things more interesting that way.
Quote by avenger86
might be a good idea to practise chord changes with songs that you like. makes things more interesting that way.

+1

Very early on just strumming chords and moving your fingers is about all you can do, but as soon as you can (ie once you have the shapes memorized) you might want to try strumming a simple song so chord changing doesnt get too boring.
My Gear
Epi Les Paul
Roland Microcube
Boss DS-1 pedal
Shure SM57
M-Audio Fasttrack
I doesn't bother me much as i don't seem to get bored of it, i do it in to a timer as well, i do at least 5 minutes on each set of chords, the time increases depending on the amount of time i have to practice. At the moment im still doing A, D and E major chords and i can change at about 90 bpm between them.

I think it would be good for me to start playing some songs, problem is most of the music i listen does not use basic major and minor chords. i suppose ill just have to broaden my musical tastes, any suggestions on simple songs to look for?

i managed to transpose white stripes' song 'fell in love with a girl' into a simpler version using mostly major chords and a couple of barre chords and it sounds alright, is it a good idea to transpose power chord songs into major chords as they are neither major nor minor in theory?