Hey, im lookin for thoughts on a new bass. i have a MIM jazz as it is, and i play bass in a blues band, on the lookout for something new, i might sell some gear and save up a bit.

so, i've been creaming over this for a while now

http://www.jbsmusic.co.uk/view/1983/

active pups, HB/J set in there. plays awesome, perfect for the slap etc i play at home. can handle bluaz no problem

but

im also looking at fretlesses.

namely this one

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/71397

i live for jazzes and i like the reliced finish

and theres the squier VM fretless, but at least the vintage has a cool finish, and plenty of mojo, whereas a squier will just be in the shadow of my fender in every way

im gigging in the UK too, budget around £200 (~$400) ish. tight i know, but this is more of a backup/little something to spice things up

appreciate the advice guys!

cheers,

Steve.
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Man you got it soo much better than me. I'm going gigging with a Ibanez GSR200 and a cheap under £100 fender P-bass knockoff. But I like the look of that fretless. Seems pretty good in the picture anyway would need to try it to see if i like it.
I'm not really sure about either of those basses

but just from the looks

I'd sayour MIM J is better than either of them.
More people slap on jazz basses than I care to try and comprehend, so I dont see why that isn't perfect for the style you play, and I KNOW it can handle the blues (I play 'em on one)

With that being said, the kinda money you wanted to spend on the Fretless(or slightly more, that wouldnt hurt), in my opinion, I'd rather direct towards one of the Rock Basses on that very website. They'd actually sound different from your Jazz (I don't know how good they are exactly but I've heard acceptable things about them) and they're available fretless

Thats just what I think.
I like the sound of the fretless Rockbass bass' they may be an under-company of Warwick but there pretty good instruments and at a price thats pretty good too.

I believe you can have all models of them fretless and in about 10 different colours on the gak website.

Just backing up what 'rock bassist' said.
Do you have any preferences whether its pickups are passive or active?
Quote by Rywad
Do you have any preferences whether its pickups are passive or active?

not really. i could install an active/passive switch if needed. itd be a nice bonus, but not essential
I'll have a quick look on some online shops and see if i can find anything you might like
Active passive switches only use or bypass a preamp. Pickups are either active or passive.

As your MIM Jazz is a pretty good bass, I would actually recommend using the money to upgrade it, with a BadAss II bridge and a new set of pups.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Last edited by gm jack at May 16, 2008,
From what i've seen there doesnt seem to be much really.. Theres a few Squiers but as you have a MIM Jazz theres not much point in getting one of them. I did see OLP come up a few times but I had a look and wasn't too sure about it. Personally i've never tried one but if there anything like my friends Musicman S.U.B. I would be amazed. But I think 'gm jack' has a good point, upgrading would be a good option.]

The two bass' that you pointed out are probably the best for jazz in that price range out of a squier as most bass' now days just scream the words rock/metal and punk.
Last edited by Rywad at May 16, 2008,
Quote by gm jack
Active passive switches only use or bypass a preamp. Pickups are either active or passive.

As your MIM Jazz is a pretty good bass, I would actually recommend using the money to upgrade it, with a BadAss II bridge and a new set of pups.

i was thinking that, but i dont like the idea of cutting my own grooves.

white jazz, all black hardware, black anodized scratchplate

but i get pretty awesome slap tones out of my current setup, so active pups wont improve my life that much.

im liking that vintage fretless atm
I wasn't necessarily saying to get a active pups (I prefer passive pickups with active electronics myself), but better pups can do wonders for a tone.

And you can buy a BA2 with the grooves cut, or you could pay someone to do it for you. For not a lot of work, it will improve your sustain massively. Throw in a pair of Frailin pickups, and you will have one nice bass.

Best thing is, if you ever upgrade the bass, you can also swap out the upgrades to the new bass as well.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by gm jack
I wasn't necessarily saying to get a active pups (I prefer passive pickups with active electronics myself), but better pups can do wonders for a tone.

And you can buy a BA2 with the grooves cut, or you could pay someone to do it for you. For not a lot of work, it will improve your sustain massively. Throw in a pair of Frailin pickups, and you will have one nice bass.

Best thing is, if you ever upgrade the bass, you can also swap out the upgrades to the new bass as well.

gotta agree with that tbf, but for the future when theres more cash on the go for me

oooh, hang on. what does everyone know about defretting? i have an old P special copy which is really quite good (pups blow though). if the vintage doesnt work out, would it be easy to defret?