It's not limited to Metal but this is where I have heard it the most. The solos sound really full and sort of multi-dimensional it's kind of hard to describe. My solo's always sound so flat and ho-hum by comparison.

I believe it's a recording method because I don't hear this quality in live performances, so I don't think it has anything to do with you amp/effects etc? Perhaps I am wrong.
maybe it has something to do with the acoustics of the room you record it. i honestly have no clue.
i'm a rhythmist, but when i do solo, i have 2 different distortion sounds 1) for the main rhythm, which usually has a heavy, chug-like distortion to it and 2) with minimal distortion, just enough to highlight harmonics and the such

hope it helped
I don't think that's it mainly because this quality can be heard only on certain albums, it's not a commonly used technique.

If you want to hear exactly what I am talking about listen to some early In Flames and Opeth stuff, you can really hear it on there.

Again, I hear only a handful of bands do this and it always sounds the same, so I don't thing it's gear specific.
Last edited by ixelion at May 16, 2008,
What part of the song are you talking about. There's some harmony riffs, some with lead tone with reverb and a tad of delay it sounds like. Can you be more specific please.

DS
Irrelevant quote from obscure person
Obnoxious statement regarding size of e-ween
Italicized text indicating bandwagoning masquerading as deep thought
ASCII graphic that will take over the world if you put one in your signature
Made up statistic
using the neck pickup helps. gives a slurred liquidous sound thats associated with most shredding.

use a little more gain than you would if you were straight up riffing, small splash of 'verb or delay is nice too.

after listening to the clip, well thats not really a solo.. but getting that kinda sound would be from a bridge pickup, some gain and some good midrange.

don't scoop your mids.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Last edited by Kivarenn82 at May 16, 2008,
ur not talking bout the harmonies are u?

I think it is harmonies, do I need an octave pedal or a pitch shifter for that sound?

As I stated before you don't hear this sound on many albums, but once in a while I will hear it on some melodic death solos or lead melodies.

You can also hear it on some early Opeth albums but I cant remember a specific song at this very moment.
Last edited by ixelion at May 17, 2008,
Quote by ixelion
I think it is harmonies, do I need an octave pedal or a pitch shifter for that sound?

As I stated before you don't hear this sound on many albums, but once in a while I will hear it on some melodic death solos or lead melodies.

You can also hear it on some early Opeth albums but I cant remember a specific song at this very moment.

Either that, or a second guitarist who plays one part of the harmony and you play the other. Or when you record, record yourself once and then the harmony over what you played.
Ok so this is similar to double tracking? I was only doing that with rhythm stuff, but I will try it out with lead and see if I cant replicate that sound.

Also thanks for helping me identify this, it took a while but we got it :P
It should also be noted a synth is doubling the R channel Lead at some points.