Is there a difference between a guitar amplifier and a guitar pre-amplifier? Or do they have the same functions? I'm not talking about different brands but just pre amp and amp.
Lead Guitarist sort-Into GNR sort of music and Metal
Playing since November, 2007

AC/DC "For those about to rock, we salute you"
And amplifier (like a head) has a preamp and a power amp built in.

A preamp just processes the tone, and puts distortion and whatever. You need to send that to a power amplifier.
^ +1

yeah, any head or combo is the pre-amp and power amp built into a package. if you were to purchase a guitar pre-amp and wanted to use it through a cabinet or whatnot, you would need to send the output of the pre-amp into a power amp, such as a mesa 2:90.
Quote by evening_crow
As far as i know the only liquor that should not be stored after opened is wine, and even then it's mainly the french one. American wine usually has conservatives in it to stop this.
^pretty much. An oversimplified description:

Preamp = tone

Poweramp = volume
Suhr Custom, Flaxwood Rautia or Grosh Tele thru
HBE Medicine Bawl Wah
Analogman BiComp
Texas Two Step OD
Fulltone Ultimate Octave/Fuzz
Boss CE-2
TC Nova Delay
SLO-100, 65 London or Bogner Shiva
Ask me about any of this stuff!
So a complete set up includes a head, preamp, and poweramp? Any good combos for my slash signature les paul?

If you buy a head, it will contain a preamp and power amp.

Here's your options for guitar rigs:

1. Head, cabinet, guitar.
2. Preamp, power amp, cabinet, guitar.
3. Combo amp, guitar.

As for what to buy, what's your budget?
Ibanez RGA121 | ESP LTD H-1000
Axe-FX Standard
Quote by EclipseMoon
So a complete set up includes a head, preamp, and poweramp? Any good combos for my slash signature les paul?

a head is a preamp and poweramp.
JCM 800 assuming you want Slash's tone, or one of those vintage moderns (he plays those nowadays i believe).

you'll have to give us much more information in order to give you a good amp recommenation
Budget? I can afford anything on musicians friend paying by month. Im 16 so I only make around 1000 a month. Yeah, I really like slash's tone. Best tone I've ever heard. I want that tone! Lol.

I got the info I want. Thanks.

Quote by forsaknazrael
Don't buy via loan or whatever on MF...Good way to potentially screw up your credit rating.

Can also be a good way to build good credit at a young age as well, but you need to be very responsible, plus paying with credit through MF and paying payments every month means you'll be paying potentially a lot more than the amp actually cost in the first place unless you pay a lot more than the minimum per month..

Quote by forsaknazrael
BTW, 1000 a month and you're 16? ...Are you selling crack?

+1
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com