Hey guys, I'm after a great noise reducing pedal and after looking through a few threads and watching some videos it appears that the ISP Decimator is the best of the bunch. What I'd like to know is, is it worth getting the more expensive model, the ISP Decimator G String or will the standard pedal do me? I play metal, so I need as little noise and as little change in tone as I can get away with.

Thanks
Ibanez RG1570 w/ Bareknuckle Pickups
Ibanez RG655
PRS SE Fredrik Åkesson Singlecut
Blackstar HT-5
Harley Benton G212 Vintage
BOSS TU-2
MXR M-108
Digitech Bad Monkey
my decimator is awesome, i dont have the g string. but ive seen/heard it used and its even better, because it tracks your guitar signal and its in your effects loop, so it reduces noise from two points.
Quote by evening_crow
As far as i know the only liquor that should not be stored after opened is wine, and even then it's mainly the french one. American wine usually has conservatives in it to stop this.
Well I don't use an effects loop, I just have everything in a line from my guitar to the amp. Do I really need the G String then?
Ibanez RG1570 w/ Bareknuckle Pickups
Ibanez RG655
PRS SE Fredrik Åkesson Singlecut
Blackstar HT-5
Harley Benton G212 Vintage
BOSS TU-2
MXR M-108
Digitech Bad Monkey
i would reccomend putting some things in the effects loop as they will sound a lot better, like delay and modulation effects. noise reduction works better in the effects loop anyways if you want to cut noise from the amp and all of your pedals.

edit: if its in your effects loops you can squelch feedback with it too
Quote by evening_crow
As far as i know the only liquor that should not be stored after opened is wine, and even then it's mainly the french one. American wine usually has conservatives in it to stop this.
A noisegate is rarely used in an FX loop because your preamp does not generate a lot of noise, and in general if you're using modulation effects of any quality they tend not to generate too much noise. Most of your noise comes before it goes into your amp, from your guitar. It's also not a huge issue because most people turn their FX loop off when not using those pedals, rendering a noise gate there a moot point. It's a nice thing if you have one that does both, but in general you're better off putting it in front of the amp.
rarely used in the effects loop? what are you talking about? look at the pro rigs of most artists, and the noise gate will be in the effects loop. if its "rarely" used there then why do the high quality noise reduction units (decimator, hush c) have two channels, one for before the guitar, and one for the effects loop? also, almost all amps don't have the ablility to just "turn off" your effects loop. and i completely disagree about you saying the "pre amp doesnt generate a lot of noise". depends on the amp, but where else is the noise going to come from? centainly not the power amp unless its cranked and its a tube, so all of that is irrelevant. most of the hiss and white noise comes DIRECTLY from the pre-amp...and just to evaluate my beliefs, i tried my decimator in front and in the loop. in front, it takes off the tiniest bit of buzz from my guitar, nothing else. in the loop, with all of my pedals running and my mesa set for high gain, its silent, no noise at all, but no tone draining and the threshold isnt set so high is squashes your playing.
Quote by evening_crow
Quote by htsktim91989
rarely used in the effects loop? what are you talking about? look at the pro rigs of most artists, and the noise gate will be in the effects loop. if its "rarely" used there then why do the high quality noise reduction units (decimator, hush c) have two channels, one for before the guitar, and one for the effects loop? also, almost all amps don't have the ablility to just "turn off" your effects loop. and i completely disagree about you saying the "pre amp doesnt generate a lot of noise". depends on the amp, but where else is the noise going to come from? centainly not the power amp unless its cranked and its a tube, so all of that is irrelevant. most of the hiss and white noise comes DIRECTLY from the pre-amp...and just to evaluate my beliefs, i tried my decimator in front and in the loop. in front, it takes off the tiniest bit of buzz from my guitar, nothing else. in the loop, with all of my pedals running and my mesa set for high gain, its silent, no noise at all, but no tone draining and the threshold isnt set so high is squashes your playing.

First off, use proper grammar and make this easier to read. I see very few people put the pedal actually in the loop. A unit that works on both is a nice feature, but that's all. Also, maybe you don't know a lot about amps. A good number of them have switchable effects loops. This is so you don't need to engage and disengage a tone of pedals if need be. Just hit the switch and it's there and on.

Next, your guitar and it's cable is basically a big ass antennae. This makes a lot of noise... the pickups in the guitars, the cable, and the variable that is the length of the cable. A preamp of an amp is going to be one of the quieter pieces of gear when properly made.

The EQ may increase or decrease the amount of white noise, but that is a minor issue, as it does not induce feedback. What DOES is when you just stand there and the antennae factor of your guitar comes into play when you aren't doing anything. There is an easy way to solve this; roll your volume off and make sure you have a gate in front to catch what the cable could pick up. The little bit of white noise that is left is not a major issue as it does not harm anything.

The white noise comes from your EQ settings. IF you have more white noise than signal, your amp has something wrong. Even at gig volumes, rolling my volume off leaves just a small bit of white noise, and certainly not disruptive amounts. Of course my guitars are all well grounded and I use quality cables (Planet Waves and Monster).

Now then, why is it not as important in a loop? Will for one, you don't have a guitar and pickups picking up signal. Next, you tend to have less cable involved in the loop, cutting out some noise as well. And when you can just switch it off and bypass it...

Also, when you say no tone draining, what do you mean? A bad gate will "Drain tone" no matter where it is, because it's still in the signal path.

So to sum it up, is it a nice thing like I said? Sure. But should you freak out if you don't have something to put in the loop or make it a huge point? Nope, because a loop is going to generate less noise. A power conditioner and volume knob is going to take more noise out of your signal than a gate in the loop probably is though. Would I buy one that did the loop and in front? Maybe, but it would nto make/break the deal as in my experience, it does not add as much noise.

EDIT: In layman's terms... there is not enough between the Peamp and the power amp to make a tone of noise. If you manage your EQ, gain, and guitar volume properly, you should not need one in the loop.
Last edited by CJRocker at May 16, 2008,
Turn your guitar's volume down to zero while your amp is on. If it still makes an annoying amount of noise get the G-String
^ that's a nice idea!

i'd say it depends on how much more money it is. I bought mine before the g string was released, but if i had to do it again i'd buy a g-string decimator. it does depend on your rig, of course.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
In general if you have a solid state amp you don't need a noise gate in the effects loop, so a simple Boss NS-2 or ISP decimator pedal will do.
But tube amps tend to make more noise when you turn up the gain so a noisegate in the loop is a great thing. The ISP G-string or ProRackG is ideal for this as it intelligently filters noise of the guitar and the pre-amp.
Jackson KV 2, Jackson COW 7 (both in B), Jackson Demmelition V
Bogner Überschall (blue rev)
Marshall 1960B Vintage (2x V30 & 2x G12T75)
TC Electronic G Major
BBE Sonic Maximizer 422A
Weber Mass 150w
ISP ProRackG
T.Racks Dinopower