i have a standard fender p bass n an ampeg ba115, but can NOT find out how to get a good sound. i kno nothing about eq. my tone now is all dull and dry. wat shud i set them to to get a good sound, like comeback kid? o n ive got the standard pick ups n it as well, standard bridge, n ernie ball slinkies.
How long have you had the strings on the bass?

What are your current EQ settings?

Have you rolled the tone right down on the bass itself?
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
awesome amp right there, bass doesnt scrub up badly either!

set your EQ all pointing straight up, and boost/cut as required

+1 to checing strings. old ones can sound horrible, especially if theyre the icky shop ones
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
hah, i put the strings on last march. i kno i need new ones. but i need help specifically on wat i should dial the eq to. and, is there a way to disable that tone selector thing? and i keep the tone on the bass at the bright one
Last March? As in, 2007?

You realise strings lose their brightness after a month or so (some coated strings can go up to 6 minths though). Enrie Balls have a famously short lifespan of about a month of daily usage. No wonder your tone is so, dull. A new pair of strings will make your tone far brighter and more defined.

As for EQing, read thfitz's blog on EQing. All you need to know.

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
new strings dude
strings are more important than most people think

string is were your tone starts
pups pick up that tone and shape it
and the amp aplifies the signal of the pickups and shapes it even more

if any of these 3 is wrong your sound will also be wrong
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
Quote by litus
new strings dude
strings are more important than most people think

string is were your tone starts
pups pick up that tone and shape it
and the amp aplifies the signal of the pickups and shapes it even more

if any of these 3 is wrong your sound will also be wrong

Also the woods, bridge, nut and frets, which feed the strings vibrations back in, causung different harmonics to be accentuated, giving the instrument it's tone.

Woods are 60% of a bass's tonal character.

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
A valid point to make is that the BA115 has a pretty much average sound. You cant boost the treble too much otherwise the hiss becomes unbearable, but treble is an important part of good tone. You should boost the treble to right around where it starts to hiss like a mofo, boost the mids to around the same place, and take the bass down a little. Also style selector 4 or 5 might help.
Last March? As in, 2007?

You realise strings lose their brightness after a month or so (some coated strings can go up to 6 minths though). Enrie Balls have a famously short lifespan of about a month of daily usage. No wonder your tone is so, dull. A new pair of strings will make your tone far brighter and more defined.

As for EQing, read thfitz's blog on EQing. All you need to know

wheres that blog?
Quote by sk8_punk_Trev
is there a way to disable that tone selector thing?

channel 3 on that thing is flat eq

when Moses brought down the plagues upon Egypt one of them involved Behringer amps

Dont be so humble, your not that great....
Quote by gm jack
Woods are 60% of a bass's tonal character.

60%?? i think thats too much for wood
i alwas think it was like: wood 15%, in nut, bridge, neck-body joint 15%, pickups 25%
and the player 50%
that the sound you send to the amp
and the amp would the be like 50 or 60% of the overall tone
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
If you're looking for the Comeback Kid tone, I can tell you a few things to help you out. But just making sure we're on the same page, you're looking for that clanky, really dirty, almost like hitting two pieces of iron together type of sound, right?

Anyways, get an extremely mild overdrive or distortion. Probably the cheapest pedal for it is the Ibanez Phathead (about 50 or 60 dollars), and that is what I use and I haven't found anything that can do it better. Turn both the distortion and overdrives off, turn the "attack 1" feature on, and have the low and high EQ settings so that they're touching each other.

Another big factor is the strings, you need something extremely warm and bright sounding, the two brands that I found work best are Rotosound and Blue Steel.

And you have a P-bass, which already has a very punk-ish tone anyways. See if any of that helps