so heres my question...

combo amps come with an output to connect to a cab...

so if i've got a 50W combo with 1x12" speaker...

what would be the advantage of hooknig up to a 2x12 or so cab be?
This may need to go in the gear section, but an advantage would be the change in resistance of the speakers. My marshall combo has 1-12" 16 ohm speaker. If I hook the amp section up to an 8 ohm cabinet I will effectively increase the output of the amp, due to the lower resistance.

edit-I was not saying to hook 8 ohm cab, and the orig. speaker on the amp., but use the 8 ohm cab. instead. Some amps will have for example a 50w rms 16 ohm rating and a 75w rms 8ohm rating thats all I was saying. Post was also moved to Gear forum.
Gibson ES335
Ibanez RG370DXGP
Ibanez SA Series
Fender Acoustic
Marshall JCM800 1-12 split channel
Last edited by zoomy74 at May 16, 2008,
ok...

i didn't think you were supposed to mix impedances...

so you are saying that...if my combo was 50W with 8ohms impedance...if i hook up to a 2x12 cab...i'm still only gonna have 50W...but if i was bold and moved to a 4ohm...i could get louder?
This really needs to be brought to the Gear forum. I'm sure there are others there that can give better advise than I on this.
Gibson ES335
Ibanez RG370DXGP
Ibanez SA Series
Fender Acoustic
Marshall JCM800 1-12 split channel
it doesnt effectivly increase the output of anything, your just going to blow something eventually. you arent supposed to mix impedances at all, totally wrong-o.

the real advantage would be

1. voicing of different speakers
2. if its open back, then you will get more mid-treble frequencies
3. if its closed back, it will be heavier on the bass frequencies
4. you just want more speakers or a larger rig!
Quote by evening_crow
As far as i know the only liquor that should not be stored after opened is wine, and even then it's mainly the french one. American wine usually has conservatives in it to stop this.