Hey guys, long while since i posted.

Basically, I'm in the market for a new guitar and the C-1 Hellraiser caught my eye.

Now, I'm wondering whether I should go for the floyd rose version or not. I wouldn't mind a tremolo, always wanted to do some leet divebombing lol. Just not sure I'd be able to work out the hassle in tuning and changing strings with those.

ALso, how much of a difference do active pickups really make? Will it make the tone a lot heavier than it is with my Iceman now?

TY in advance.
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR <3
My specialty.

I love my C-1 Blackjack tons, but the black was getting a little bland for me, so I decided to try out these active EMGs and black cherry finish. So I got my first one in from Musiciansfriend and there was crazy fret buzz on the 15th fret on the low E. So I sent it back for an exchange.

Got my second one, plugged it in, and played. THOROUGHLY UNIMPRESSED. The pickups were alright at best. I plugged in my Gibson SG '61 Reissue right after, and said "wow". The Gibson '57 classics are so much clearer and more powerful, at least in my opinion on my Marshall DSL50.

I thought I'd be in love with the Hellraiser, but to be honest, the combination of Seymour Duncans in the blackjack are much more versatile and tonally better.
_______
|||||||||||||||
Thanks for the input, I'm just checking out Schecter's website now just to see what else they have to offer that might keep me happy.

It's gonna be a while til I can afford a new guitar anyway, but that just gives me plenty of time to decide.

I guess I should mention what sort of stuff I play. I like playing a lot of heavy metal rhythm guitar, with dropped tunings and chugging riffs. I mainly play with distortion through my Vox amp, but occasionally I hit up some clean because I love the cleans I can get out of the Vox and some brand new strings.

Anyway, any more opinions on the Hellraiser?
Quote by Adam144

ALso, how much of a difference do active pickups really make? Will it make the tone a lot heavier than it is with my Iceman now?

TY in advance.

It depends on what pickups and tonewoods your Iceman has. There are plenty of different versions out there. The '08 model with Dimarzios sounds pretty heavy already, so buying a guitar with EMG's additionally isn't really worth the money.

One thing: EMG's only sound good through a proper amp. Don't even THINK about getting these pu's without getting a Mesa Boogie Recto or a similar amp. I heard lots of people play EMG loaded guitars through cheaper or just different amps (something with less gain) and it was just ear rape. Another thing is that EMG's only sound good for metal with really really really much distortion. Sure, you can play cleans with them as well as music with rather moderate gain, but it'll sound pathetic in comparison to good passive pickups.

I don't recommend them. If you want your tone br00tal, you're better off with high output ceramic pickups, those are far more verstile anyway.
Quote by TheQuailman
It depends on what pickups and tonewoods your Iceman has. There are plenty of different versions out there. The '08 model with Dimarzios sounds pretty heavy already, so buying a guitar with EMG's additionally isn't really worth the money.

My Iceman's got an INF3 in the neck and an INF4 in the bridge. About the tonewoods, not sure what you mean by that, if you mean what wood the body/neck is, I'm pretty sure the body is Basswood, not sure what the neck is.

About the amp, I will probably be upgrading to a high-end valve amp eventually but since I'm only 16 and don't have a job I just don't have the funds to do that :P

Thanks for the replies so far
Yeah, I meant the body and neck woods. Basswood is okay for metal, but the INF3 and 4 are okay (not necessarily good, but okay). Their output is pretty high, so they work for metal.

Good choice upgrading the amp, your vox is good, but it is best for clean and bluesy stuff, while being a tad weeker in the metal department. I say if you get some scratch get the new amp first.

EDIT: May I ask what amp you're looking at? I'll have to get myself a tube combo in the future and am wondering what others like best.
i'll always take the more versatile amps that have nice cleans and nice OD/distortion over something that does one really well. I've gotten so sick of the judjudweeneeneeenee music and how bland it can be tonewise. That's why I'm so content with my Marshall. You could get a Fender Twin with beautiful cleans, or a Peavey with the "bone-crushing" distortion, but the Marshall sounds good for people who like distortion AND tone.
_______
|||||||||||||||