I've noticed I play this way. My right hand (picking/strumming hand) isn't free in the air but I lean against the guitar pickguard (basically the area under the strings) with the fingertops of my pinky and ring finger for stability I guess. Is this a bad habit?
i put the flesh of my wrist on the top of the bridge for staibility. I guess it's all fine if you don't feel you're restricted in some ways of playing.

That's what my guitar teacher says also...
i think the important point is to not use any excess pressure, make sure you have as little tension as possible - anchoring to the fretboard is a good way to cause unecessary tension so youve gotta be careful
I used to do that. It's not a bad thing. If it helps you play better than sure, keep it up.
it's all about what feels comfortable to you.
Quote by pedaler466
Shreadhead22 had nothing helpful to say to me. He just immediatly started being a prick.

Quote by Yngwi3
Shredhead's advice is the best in the thread.

-Mesa Roadster
-Mesa 4x12
-'93 Gibby LP studio
-535q
-CE5/DD-220
-TS9dx
-EB volume
-Shure Wireless
Quote by skralan
i put the flesh of my wrist on the top of the bridge for staibility. I guess it's all fine if you don't feel you're restricted in some ways of playing.

That's what my guitar teacher says also...

It actually enhances my playing. But this is just me talking because I'm used to play like this. I bet I could just forget it and try to improve on playing without doing this. But as of now, I'm much slower and more inaccurate when I play without my fingers on the guitar.

Quote by Jackface20
i think the important point is to not use any excess pressure, make sure you have as little tension as possible - anchoring to the fretboard is a good way to cause unecessary tension so youve gotta be careful

No pressure being used. It's just a way to help keep my hand in place. But the reason I'm worried about it is because I'm afraid it may be a bad habit and maybe it will limit my playing further on when I advance.

Do the majority of the guitarists let their right hand loose or not?
Quote by MPM12
It actually enhances my playing. But this is just me talking because I'm used to play like this. I bet I could just forget it and try to improve on playing without doing this. But as of now, I'm much slower and more inaccurate when I play without my fingers on the guitar.

No pressure being used. It's just a way to help keep my hand in place. But the reason I'm worried about it is because I'm afraid it may be a bad habit and maybe it will limit my playing further on when I advance.

Do the majority of the guitarists let their right hand loose or not?

I'm in the same position as you. Except the only time I do it is when I'm playing really fast rhythm stuff. Tremolo picking at high speeds causes be to "anchor" so that i could pick more accurately. I'm trying to learn it without being attached to the body, just for the hell of it.
Just make sure it wont mess up your palm muting. I used to play that way and then i learned palm muting and now I just rest my palm on the bridge for support. I'm not really sure how good that is for playing correctly, but I play a lot of stuff with palm muting in it so it doesn't sound like ****e lol. It's kinda hard for me not to rest my hand there :P

The only thing i've found is that sometimes i really have to put my hand in an awkward position to get the right kind palm muting for what i'm playing... I gotta figure something out for it.
this is exactly what i do, aswell as resting the side of my hand on the bridge and it works fine for me. way more control over the pick.

Edit: resting your hand on the bridge can hinder your playing if youve gota play the low E w/o PM
Guitars

Dean Razorback Explosion Lefty
ESP LTD EX-400 LH
Vintage?? LH

Amp

Bugera 333xl
Bugera 412H-BK
Some guitarists say it's alright, some say it's evil and nobody should ever do it and some (including the mighty Devin Townsend) say you should do it if you want palm mutes to sound good.