My friend told me that for Linkin Park's album recordings (and other bands apparently) uses something for the screamo parts. I'm not sure what my friend's talking about or whether it's even true or not, but apparently when he wants to scream in the songs there's this little thing he just flicks down in front of the microphone that distorts his voice or something. If this is true, can someone show me what he does use? I'd be interested in buying one.

I have no idea whether he's telling the truth by the way so I'm very aware that I could look like a complete idiot posting this. Oh well.
as far as I know. he doesn't use some kind of effect to do that.
A hero of war, Yeah that's what I'll be

(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)
your friend is a tard.
Quote by evening_crow
As far as i know the only liquor that should not be stored after opened is wine, and even then it's mainly the french one. American wine usually has conservatives in it to stop this.
I think your friend is talking out of his bottom...
My stuff:
Fender Tele 60's Reissue
Schecter Blackhawk
Vintage V300 acoustic
Yamaha RB170 Bass

Peavey Classic 30 amp

Boss SD-1, DOD Grunge, Guyatone PS-010 Compressor, Marshall SV-1, Vox V847, Zoom G2, Line6 Echo Park
LOL I can't believe it !!
It was just a joke in one of LP's videos, a good one
he's not using any sort of vocal distortion, he does however use excessive editing and pitch correction for his clean vox (at least he did on the first couple of records, I haven't heard anything beyond that)
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
He uses what is called a Pop Filter. He puts it infront of his mic to make it sound a little more compressed and rough.
He uses what is called a Pop Filter. He puts it infront of his mic to make it sound a little more compressed and rough.

I hope to god that youre joking.
Quote by ChadHasADD

oh wait, you're serious aren't you....

Last.fm
the "Popper stopper"...?

Chester referred to this in a video the band made. It is indeed what is put in front of the mic to i think roughen up the sound going through it. To be honest though it doesn't do all that much, Chesters actual scream is just something he can do on his own i guess

on a side note, can anyone tell me how vocalists can scream but yet not clip when recording etc? is it all limiting and compression?

Edit:

http://www.coutant.org/popstop/8.jpg ???
Last edited by Davester000 at Aug 7, 2009,
Quote by Davester000

on a side note, can anyone tell me how vocalists can scream but yet not clip when recording etc? is it all limiting and compression?

Gating is used sometimes, also a lot of the time it's simply a matter of turning the preamp down and standing back from the mic.

Also pop filters don't roughen up the sound, they are used to reduce plosives and are almost always used on many mic that doesn't have it's own windscreen attached.

Last.fm
Last edited by Kid_Thorazine at Aug 7, 2009,
are you joking?

Go look it up.

Perhaps you should, because...

Also pop filters don't roughen up the sound, they are used to reduce plosives and are almost always used on many mic that doesn't have it's own windscreen attached.

True story.