Page 1 of 2
I tell my parents I need a new guitar, but all the reasons seem cheesy to me. I'm no master at the guitar, but I feel and sound better playing a nicer guitar. Is there any good reasons you think I can persuade them with?
Well that isn't a very valid reason to begin with. I'm sure you'd feel better if you lived in a huge mansion, but why does that mean they should buy you one?
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
Tell them you're going to kill yourself unless you get a new guitar costing no less than one grand.
Quote by fob12
Him -"Hey, give me a high five!"
Her -"hahaha why? *high fives*"
Him - "Because I just dumped you for the lulz!"
Her -"... what?"
Him -"*runs away*"

Quote by Lefty7Stringer
killswitch engage has some dissonant riffs, they're kind grindcore tho

You don't deserve it until you can buy it with your own money. So go get a job.

EDIT: your new eh? Well, your probably some whiny 12 year old playing the same greenday song over and over so I doubt you should be getting a new guitar

If I'm wrong, good for you but your reasons for getting one suck ass.
Quote by The Spoon
Unless you're sure she likes you, telling her you like her has a 110% chance of failing.

But hey, at least you have a 10% chance of absolutely guaranteeing failure.
Last edited by British_Steal at May 16, 2008,
Quote by Joe the Eskimo
Why? Because I want a guitar that plays well and one that is respectable.

Join the club.
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
The guitar doesn't make the player, suck it up and buy it yourself.

I-I

I----------------I

TheOneAndOnlyIsaac

If you're paying then just buy one. Otherwise I'd say wait. The guitar really won't make you that much better... Got a good amp? Often an amp can change your sound more than a guitar in my opinion. How long have you had your current one and what did you pay for it?

And to cheer you up, if you're a Slash fanboy, he played a Epiphone Les Paul Copy on most of his records, for example Appetite, so an expensive and famous guitar really doesn't matter if you're **** anyway and the other way around too. It's in your fingers and head not in the guitar itself...
Last edited by JohnnyGenzale at May 16, 2008,
Quote by British_Steal

What if he (or she ) is too young?
Quote by Kensai
Ovenman, your contraptions make women's

clothes evaporate.

I WANT THE TWOOTH!

Quote by aaciseric
That's far too clever to be posted in the Pit.
Quote by British_Steal

Your parents can't always pay for you
Well, I don't want them to buy in the sense pay for it all, I just cannot have a payment plan. I have a job, so I want them to do the financing and that stuff. Of course the guitar doesn't make the player.
Quote by Joe the Eskimo
Well, I don't want them to buy in the sense pay for it all, I just cannot have a payment plan. I have a job, so I want them to do the financing and that stuff. Of course the guitar doesn't make the player.

Then why buy a new one? What's your current one and how long have you played?
Quote by Ovenman
What if he (or she ) is too young?

then he she shouldn't be getting a $1000+ or whatever guitar. or he she should wait till christmas
Quote by The Spoon
Unless you're sure she likes you, telling her you like her has a 110% chance of failing.

But hey, at least you have a 10% chance of absolutely guaranteeing failure.
do like me. tell you folks "can i just get credit for a new guitar for you know... presents from now on?" christmas, birthday, and easter + what you save adds up.
what do you need it for? do you NEED it or do you WANT it? i don't think you NEED it in any way, I doubt you're even good enough for your current guitar. if you want a new guitar, either save up for it or deserve it (by being really, really good, for instance)
Try this: develop a payment plan with your parents. Ask for half (for your birthday) and you suck it up and pay the other half over time. Sell the one you have or some other garage sale junk you have lying around the house.

Seriously. Payment plan.

then take the money and run.

I'm jk, pay them back.
The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. - Albert Einstein

[url="http://twigd.squarespace.com]Twigd.squarespace.com The World is Good, Dammit
you should learn the intrument before you start spending loads of money of it i started with a peavey raptor with a warped neck half the notes were dead and everything i played the **** outta that thing untill i bought my next guitar WITH MY OWN MONEY
Lets make a toast...To women's underwear its not the best thing in the world but its next to it...
^ +10000

He should do some jobs ....
I worked almost a year for my amp... + If you buy it yourself you will respect it more and be much more carefully with it
Quote by marshmellow666
this thread sucks

Hahah.

Anyway. Break your guitar. Then show your parents your broken guitar. And then, when you don't have one because they won't buy you one, you'll learn to appreciate what you have.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
it's prolly something pyschological... but i tend to notice that people that are saving up for a better guitar or amp or something tend to practice more and thus become better at guitar.

i think its something about "well im paying for it... so i need to be able to get my money's worth out of it"

so i'd be against everyone ragging you dont need it... because honestly all anyone needs is a crappy acoustic to play guitar.

but i'd be against your parents buying it for you. when you buy it yourself you'll put more thought into what you buy and make sure you get something you really wanted.
Quote by Joe the Eskimo
Why? Because I want a guitar that plays well and one that is respectable.

A respectable guitar? What the ****?

Practice until you're great. If you can impress people with a Squier Strat, then you don't need an expensive guitar to get respect.

Just get a job.

edit:
I know a girl that got her daddy to buy her a ****ing JEM.

She gave up playing after about a month or so. I tuned it for her once, and let me tell you, the thing cried out in pain to me.
a guitar is a guitar. if you don't feel right with the one you have at the moment, think about why you don't like it. i.e. are your fingers to big for the frets?
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Hahah.

Anyway. Break your guitar. Then show your parents your broken guitar. And then, when you don't have one because they won't buy you one, you'll learn to appreciate what you have.

What you HAD:P

Anyway threadstarter. Just pull yourself together. Tune your guitar if you think it sounds like ****, maybe it's that or you just plain suck. Do you have a band or are you in need a guitar or do you just want it for the lulz?
another thing is... if you have an expensive guitar and suck with it.... people will look at you WORSE than if you have a crappy one and suck.

because then its like 'comeon. he doesnt deserve that'
I'm currently using a Squier Strat, which I do not especially like. It's a great beginners guitar, but I've had it since last year. Don't think I need a new one?
Quote by Joe the Eskimo
I'm currently using a Squier Strat, which I do not especially like. It's a great beginners guitar, but I've had it since last year. Don't think I need a new one?

doesnt matter what we think. if you think you do. you do. and you should save up and buy it yourself because then it will mean more to you. and you'll put more practice in because of it.
Quote by JohnnyGenzale
What you HAD:P

Anyway threadstarter. Just pull yourself together. Tune your guitar if you think it sounds like ****, maybe it's that or you just plain suck. Do you have a band or are you in need a guitar or do you just want it for the lulz?

...Clearly you don't appreciate me very much. I'm quitting UG, and when I'm gone you'll be sorry. But it will be too late, and you'll regret not appreciating what you had.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

what is it that you don't like about it? and if your parents agreed to whatever what guitar would you buy?
Quote by Jack Off Jill
...Clearly you don't appreciate me very much. I'm quitting UG, and when I'm gone you'll be sorry. But it will be too late, and you'll regret not appreciating what you had.

Sorry??
Quote by Jack Off Jill

anybody hear anything?

Me either.
Quote by Joe the Eskimo

Well I started about 2 years ago with a Crafter Cruiser, then the next year I got an Ibanez RG370DXL from my parents, but that was different. I did amazingly on my exams so they were like and therefore got me one. I didn't nesseccarily need it, but hey, who in their right mind turns down a free guitar?

You'll be fine with that for a good 2 years or so. Just practise.
Quote by JohnnyGenzale
Sorry??

You coy minx, you. Your tough guy persona isn't fooling me one bit. I know you'd just die if I left. Alright, I'll stay just for you.

More on topic: How old are you, TS? Are you old enough to get a job? Or possibly old enough to rob your local guitar center?
Quote by vintage x metal

Quote by Jack Off Jill
Or possibly old enough to rob your local guitar center?

you're never to young for crime!
Quote by Jack Off Jill
You coy minx, you. Your tough guy persona isn't fooling me one bit. I know you'd just die if I left. Alright, I'll stay just for you.

More on topic: How old are you, TS? Are you old enough to get a job? Or possibly old enough to rob your local guitar center?

Nobody is too young to rob their local guitar centre.
EDIT: Damn.

I suggest practising a lot and try to "wow" your parents with how well you can play... Or something along those lines.
Quote by CoreysMonster
you're never to young for crime!

Start them early, I say. Thats what rock n roll is all about, youthful rebellion and lack of concern for the law. Instead of breaking the law by using drugs like Jimi Hendrix did, do something more constructive. Steal a new guitar. And while you're at it, steal me a theremin. I badly want one.
Quote by Broken_Drum
Nobody is too young to rob their local guitar centre.
EDIT: Damn.

I suggest practising a lot and try to "wow" your parents with how well you can play... Or something along those lines.

You're being ridiculous, mac. Don't put any reasonable thoughts into his head, or he's never going to succeed and being a rebellious rock n roll greaser.
Quote by vintage x metal

Stuff like action is high but adjusting it causes buzz, the pickups aren't the type I really want and they're not very sensitive. It doesn't stay in tune very long. I do tune my guitar quite often, and it doesn't sound too bad. I'm not amazing at the guitar, but I can play moderate songs, so it's not like "He sucks, why does he have that guitar?"
Page 1 of 2