So I've got a fair bit of cash, and I'd like to pick up a new amp. I like the sound of the 5150/6505, but I'd dont think I'd want to spend all the money on getting a brand new stack or combo. How much would one of these go for used? Either combo or stacked. Or whats something that sounds good for high gain, similar to the 5150?
Ibanez Xiphos XPT700
Laney VH100R
Epi Les Paul (SH-1 '59 neck, SH-11 custom custom bridge)
5150 combos usually go for 500-600 in my area
heads are usually around the same price
but dont buy the peavey cabinet, the speakers arent very good.
Guitar:
Schecter Omen 6 (Dimarzio X2N & Tone Zone)
Amps:
Engl Fireball
Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12 Cab
The head and cab go for around a grand used. I agree with BenRaah, the valveking is a damn fine amp. Sounds really good. I picked up a used Mesa Nomad and after I bought it I had the opportunity to play through a valveking, sounds just as good.
Native Pride

Better to reign in hell

Member of the UG Luthier's club. PM AlGeeEater to join, luthier's only
Member of The Future Embrace, UG's Billy Corgan/Smashing Pumpkins fan club. PM musiclover2399 to join .
5150's are pretty popular, so their resale value's pretty low. I've seen them as low as $600 or so, I imagine you could get them a bit cheaper.

The Bugera 6262 might be a good alternative, it goes for $650 or so new. Only problem is, they're pretty new, so you might have some problems getting one used.

You could also look at used Mesas in that price range, but they're voiced pretty differently from the 5150 and Bugera, which is essentially a 5150 clone.
Id say find a used 5150 (500-600 used) and as far as cabs go, avatar makes pretty decent cabs for a good price, but you can usually score a 5150 cab for 200-250$ used, and i have to disagree with xMikeyxMetalx , I wont say the cabs are amazing, but i definately don't have ANY complaints about my peavey cabs. plus, they are peavey, they they are tough as hell and get take a good beating, same is true for the amp.

btw, shameless plug, i have a 5150 straight 4X12 I'd get rid of for $200. (i have 2 brand new JSX 4X12s, which is the only reason I'm selling this bad boy)

haha but really, as far as getting a really good rig that will last almost forever, peavey is really the way to go.

(in regards to the above post, search harmony central and the UG forums here and read the reviews of the Bugera before going within 100 feet of one)
Last edited by orwellguitar at May 16, 2008,
Ive seen 5150 combos go for $450 locally, just keep your eyes open. I wouldn't settle for the VK if you like the 5150..
Quote by jimmy666page666
Ive seen 5150 combos go for $450 locally, just keep your eyes open. I wouldn't settle for the VK if you like the 5150..

+1

$450 on up for head or combo

And to add the VK is far from a 5150 not even close. The VK is inbetween a mesa and a marshall and requires a tube and speaker swap to even get there. And cant do modern metal to save its life. And considering the 5150 is a modern metal beast its a bad choice to ever go with a VK. Only amps that even come close are the JSX, Ultra Plus, XXX and even they are pretty far off the mark of a 5150.
Just buy a new 6505 head with the five year warranty and get a used cab for cheap.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
5150 combo usually goes for around $500-$600 used, sometimes lower. It's an awesome amp.

If you have too much trouble finding one used, you could go for the Bugera 6262 212 combo. It's modeled after the 5150/6505, and they get pretty damn close to the real thing. Just be weary, cuz the reason they can sell them so cheap is because they don't put a lot of effort into making them sturdy. But if you take good care of your equipment it should be fine.
Heads will roll. Throats will be slit. Blood will flow like springs of water.
this is going to make you all quite sick, but a guy on my ship is selling me his 5150 FULL STACK (i'd never use it as that, but im sure i can find uses for one or both of those 412s elsewhere) for....drumrolll......$300 total. mind you, thats a 5150 head, and two 5150 412 cabs, 300 clams. he jsut doesnt want it any more. the thing is immaculate. i have an Orange Thunderverb 50, so i dont know if i would even use the amp, but you can never have enough amps i guess.
anyway, im sorry.
SG
Thunderverb 50
Foot Computers
Beer and snacks
Scenery
Quote by Y0UNGBL00D
this is going to make you all quite sick, but a guy on my ship is selling me his 5150 FULL STACK (i'd never use it as that, but im sure i can find uses for one or both of those 412s elsewhere) for....drumrolll......$300 total. mind you, thats a 5150 head, and two 5150 412 cabs, 300 clams. he jsut doesnt want it any more. the thing is immaculate. i have an Orange Thunderverb 50, so i dont know if i would even use the amp, but you can never have enough amps i guess.
anyway, im sorry.

Doesn't make me sick... Due to the fact your lieing, its stolen, its broken or its a cover for a Peavey 5150 and full stack and not a actual 5150. Sounds like a scam... And even if you buy it and take pics i still wont believe you because stuff like this is done all the time you claim you found an insane deal all the well you have the gear already and paid full price then you take a pic and post it as the gear you purchased for 300 bucks.

Sorry but not buying it..
you'd expect that type of **** on ebay, but for someone to scam you to your face like that..

takes balls.

he might just want rid, asap.
Quote by orwellguitar
Id say find a used 5150 (500-600 used) and as far as cabs go, avatar makes pretty decent cabs for a good price, but you can usually score a 5150 cab for 200-250$ used, and i have to disagree with xMikeyxMetalx , I wont say the cabs are amazing, but i definately don't have ANY complaints about my peavey cabs. plus, they are peavey, they they are tough as hell and get take a good beating, same is true for the amp.

btw, shameless plug, i have a 5150 straight 4X12 I'd get rid of for $200. (i have 2 brand new JSX 4X12s, which is the only reason I'm selling this bad boy)

haha but really, as far as getting a really good rig that will last almost forever, peavey is really the way to go.

(in regards to the above post, search harmony central and the UG forums here and read the reviews of the Bugera before going within 100 feet of one)

there are many better cabs than peaveys out there though, im not too fond of the Sheffields in my 5150 combo.
TS, look for some nice 2x12's
i'd rather have a great 2x12 than a mediocre 4x12.
Guitar:
Schecter Omen 6 (Dimarzio X2N & Tone Zone)
Amps:
Engl Fireball
Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12 Cab
Quote by xMikeyxMetalx
there are many better cabs than peaveys out there though, im not too fond of the Sheffields in my 5150 combo.
TS, look for some nice 2x12's
i'd rather have a great 2x12 than a mediocre 4x12.

Theres dozens of cab company's, just do a search and see what ya like.

Whats you budget?

And would suggest something with Vintage 30's

When i think of decent cabs these pop up....
Vader
Marshall
Orange
Framus
Krank
Mesa
haha, i thought the same thing, because he said it when we were drunk in turkey. but a sober him confirmed it at sea. he just has no use for it, hes a country guy. and he wants rid of it. i wouldnt really use it either, might keep the head, and maybe one cab, but mostly it would be a money maker. i work with this guy, so its pretty easy to verify scam or not. its not like im ebaying this thing. i wouldnt even think about buying one until he brought it up. but i understand the denial stage. i went through it too. but thanks for "looking out"
cheers
SG
Thunderverb 50
Foot Computers
Beer and snacks
Scenery
Quote by Y0UNGBL00D
haha, i thought the same thing, because he said it when we were drunk in turkey. but a sober him confirmed it at sea. he just has no use for it, hes a country guy. and he wants rid of it. i wouldnt really use it either, might keep the head, and maybe one cab, but mostly it would be a money maker. i work with this guy, so its pretty easy to verify scam or not. its not like im ebaying this thing. i wouldnt even think about buying one until he brought it up. but i understand the denial stage. i went through it too. but thanks for "looking out"
cheers

Hopefully it works out for ya.... And yea it is a money maker thats about 1200 bucks in head and cabs if there the Sheffield's and more if there a different cab.