ok so i know u guys are familiar with the mythbusters episode or even the myth that you can break glass with a resonant frequency. so for my physics class i want to be able to play a not on my guitar through my amp that will be able to break the glass. how will i be able to do this? any suggestions and things i will need are greatly appreciated. and any idea as to the frequency that it would take to shatter the glass?
Deacon of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join
speed demon of the UG Jeepers
Member of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM Hamish5178 to join~
Depends on the glass.
Ping it and listen by ear to decide the note.
I bet I'm wrong
Quote by Kensai
Ovenman, your contraptions make women's

clothes evaporate.

I WANT THE TWOOTH!

Quote by aaciseric
That's far too clever to be posted in the Pit.
I think that you can break crystal with a note. Not regular glass.
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Quote by Guitar_Obsessed
Wouldnt it be easier to swing the guitar into the window?

thats what i thought he meant.

Quote by killadelphia222
I found a harmonic (2ndish fret high E) that kills puppies, + floyd rose, it might work.

where? i cant even find it!!
STEAM: beachhhhhhhh

Quote by cornmancer
Please daddy, just for one hour.
Quote by killadelphia222
I found a harmonic (2ndish fret high E) that kills puppies, + floyd rose, it might work.

Wha? Let me try that.

I did it. .

OH SHI-
Quote by Kensai
Ovenman, your contraptions make women's

clothes evaporate.

I WANT THE TWOOTH!

Quote by aaciseric
That's far too clever to be posted in the Pit.
all you would need to do is find the frequency from pinging the glass then turning your amp loud enough and play the note closest too the frequency.

PSN ID: ArranP
OK, first of all, you're going to have to spend a while trying to find the resonance frequency of the glass, it will be different for each glass. You've also got to get the amplitude of the waves up, so basically crank your guitar up to 11.

It's very difficult to do with a guitar.
Actually, you could try, on the high e string, to slide a glass bottleneck past the first pickup. The screeching it causes is phenomenal.
Need fashion advice?

Quote by PaperStSoapCo
I wish I had a dick like a black guy instead of my little white dick.

Quote by JoelTheShredder
i love you more than words can express jean.

I saw Rick Astley in Quebec City, on April 10th 2009. Best day of my life!
thats deffinately gonna take some trial and error. Yeah, you gotta find the natural frequency of the glass(crystal). And probably crystal is the easier way to go(if not the only). I would find yourself a garage sale, or resale place for cheep glassware.
Quote by killadelphia222

*plays note*

FUUUUUCK
Our hearts are with Nick Grundy.
Quote by Ez0ph
I think AvengedThrice is pretty cool guy, eh raeps kittens to death and doesn't afraid of anything.

He knows me well..
Quote by Ovenman
Depends on the glass.
Ping it and listen by ear to decide the note.
I bet I'm wrong

Correct. The pitch at which the glass naturally rings at is the pitch you'd need. After that, it's just a matter of being loud enough. In fact, it might be easier with a guitar than the human voice, because there would likely be less fluctuation of pitch.
Death to Ovation haters!
I've tried it and I couldn't get it to work

We used wine glasses and played the 16th fret on the e string I think (the same frequency) we also used a wah with the toe down but we couldn't get anything to break
It's important that the pitch is PERFECT. You'll have to adjust slightly by bending the string since the glass probably won't have the perfect frequency.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

-George Carlin
Somebody already pointed this out - Glass won't shatter - it's an amorphous solid, so the resonant frequency of it's component materials is different and increases damping of vibrations.

Crystal, on the other hand, has a regular structure and will shatter - that's why a crystal goblet will shatter, but a tumbler won't.

Somebody already pointed this out!
does it have to be the same octave as the glass? because it seems a bass could get a stronger sound wave than a guitar.
Quote by killadelphia222

BACK LIKE A HEART ATTACK
Speaking of Mythbusters. I had a sex dream about Kari Bryon last night.
Just figured I should inform everyone.
braniac tested this,
you'll need to find the perfect frequency and keep playing that at quite a high volume.
took them a while
You could put the glass on an unstable desk or table or something. then play bass through a decent sized amp and wait for the glass to fall on the floor.

happened to my glass today ...
Quote by 666hamish666
braniac tested this,
you'll need to find the perfect frequency and keep playing that at quite a high volume.
took them a while

It took them a while, and then they gave up (before status quo croaked of old age) and used explosives instead, of course, they didn't tell you this, but it was plainly obvious. As if status quo could do anything nearly as cool as breaking shit... honestly.
Watching: Stranger Things
Playing: BF1, DOOM, Witcher 3
Reading: Alastair Reynolds - Chasm City
Listening: RTJ

PSN/XBL/facebook/Steam : Latchem72
Origin/Twitter: JLatchem72
Quote by Rhythm__Guitar
Speaking of Mythbusters. I had a sex dream about Kari Bryon last night.
Just figured I should inform everyone.

It happens to the best of us. She's beautiful.
Need fashion advice?

Quote by PaperStSoapCo
I wish I had a dick like a black guy instead of my little white dick.

Quote by JoelTheShredder
i love you more than words can express jean.

I saw Rick Astley in Quebec City, on April 10th 2009. Best day of my life!