I'm doing work for my neighbors and I'm getting $300. So as any poor teenage guitarist with a little bit of cash does, I want pedals! Here's some of the ones I'm considering:

MXR Phase 90 (phaser is essential in my opinion, not to mention I love the effect in Subterranean Homesick Alien by Radiohead)
MXR Blue Box ('cause I want fuzz with a crazy personality)
EHX Small Clone (chorus is chorus.. I want!)
EXH Metal Muff (for when the gain on my Classic 50 isn't enough)

I'm also thinking a Bad Monkey just because I need a simple boost for solos, but if it sucks tone I'm not going to bother.

Now does anybody have better recommendations than these? I'm especially concerned with them not affecting my tone badly.. I'm a fan of running straight into the amp. Thanks!

EDIT: Also, I need some advice with power supplies, patch chords, and whatnot.

SECOND EDIT: I forgot to mention that the Marshall Jackhammer is on my list too. At the suggestion of thellamaking I'll probably take that over the Metal Muff.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
Last edited by stradivari310 at May 16, 2008,
If you want a fuzz with crazy personality then you should take a look at a Catalinbread V8 Fuzztone Generator. It can get crazy oscillating noises and sounds great as a standard fuzz and you can turn the fuzz down and the level up and use it as an OD.
MXR Blue Box is worth it, there are alot of different tones you can get out of it
The rest of my gear is in my sig.. no worries, I know what I'm doing

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

The Digitech Bad Monkey is a very good pedal. Depite the price and the fact it's a Digitech.

I think you should get rid of the Metal Muff and just use the Bad Monkey to boost the gain. It'll sound much more natural.
Ah sorry, I skimmed.

Bad monkeys are cool, but kinda cheap. Good for the price.

Marshall's Jackhammer and BB-2 are really nice actually. I don't know anything about effects though because all I use is OD and distortion.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
i heard the ibanez tube screamer is really good for tube overdrive sounds as opposed to the bad monkey
Quote by xsouldriverx
try out the digitech whammy

I was going to, but another guitarist in my band already has a Boss PS-5 so we don't really have need for another pitch shifter between the two of us. And I'd like to avoid spending too much on one pedal.

Also, I like what I've read about the Catalinbread V8 Fuzztone Generator.. I won't be able to get much else, but I'll consider it.

And Artemis, I'm definitely considering the Jackhammer. I forgot to put that one up there.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Catalinbread pedals are awesome! One of the best pedal brands. If you want a all-out fuzz with a crazy personality try the Zvex Fuzz Factory. It's crazy!
^^ I love the Fuzz Factory (I'm a big Muse fan), but I prefer the fuzz probe. And that will kill my budget, unfortunately.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

The Vexter series of pedals bring the price down. And regardless of the 'I'm Matt Bellamy i can oscillate' stereotype, it's a quality pedal.

- You can't go wrong with the Phase 90
- Get an OD pedal instead of a Metal Muff, it can be used as a boost and a gain boost for Metal tones.
Quote by thellamaking
The Vexter series of pedals bring the price down. And regardless of the 'I'm Matt Bellamy i can oscillate' stereotype, it's a quality pedal.

- You can't go wrong with the Phase 90
- Get an OD pedal instead of a Metal Muff, it can be used as a boost and a gain boost for Metal tones.

That makes sense. If I get an OD I'm leaning towards the Jackhammer at the moment.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

i would sub a small stone for the 90, tbh. i know i own a TON of ehx, but there's a reason for that, and not some blind brand loyalty. i own a 90 (BYOC, but sounds the same) and a stone (broken at the moment) and i miss my stone terribly. WAY better phaser imo, but it's not a quality thing, its a preference thing. just like chorus. pepsi or coke thing, not better or worse, just different.
i LOVE my metal muff, though also not exactly running to spec (both broken pedals are my fault, not factory's, im a tinkerer) THE BEST METAL DISTORTION ON THE market.
so if you want a modern gain tone, Metal Muff is it. get the full one, EQ makes a huge difference. well, the middle one i guess. i NEVER use my treble boost on it. it's good in band situaitons though to cut through the mix. but it's uber treble, like HUGE treble, so it's uselss past 1 or 2.

i've always wanted a blue box but havent tried. i do want some more fuzz options though. catalin bread, eh?
SG
Thunderverb 50
Foot Computers
Beer and snacks
Scenery
Quote by Y0UNGBL00D
i would sub a small stone for the 90, tbh. i know i own a TON of ehx, but there's a reason for that, and not some blind brand loyalty. i own a 90 (BYOC, but sounds the same) and a stone (broken at the moment) and i miss my stone terribly. WAY better phaser imo, but it's not a quality thing, its a preference thing. just like chorus. pepsi or coke thing, not better or worse, just different.
i LOVE my metal muff, though also not exactly running to spec (both broken pedals are my fault, not factory's, im a tinkerer) THE BEST METAL DISTORTION ON THE market.
so if you want a modern gain tone, Metal Muff is it. get the full one, EQ makes a huge difference. well, the middle one i guess. i NEVER use my treble boost on it. it's good in band situaitons though to cut through the mix. but it's uber treble, like HUGE treble, so it's uselss past 1 or 2.

i've always wanted a blue box but havent tried. i do want some more fuzz options though. catalin bread, eh?

I'll have to try both then.. based on recordings I am still leaning towards the 90. And I'm not a metal player, so I don't necessarily need the metal muff. I'm more interested in a pedal to boost leads and solos, or for songs where I just need the extra gain.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

ah. well it's a great lead tone as well, especially if you like tapping et al.
SG
Thunderverb 50
Foot Computers
Beer and snacks
Scenery
if you have 300$, you can get a phase 90 AND an MXR Blue Box, with some coin left over for BEER!