Blackheart Little Giant Half stack
Digitech Bad monkey for overdrive
Seymour Duncan Twin tube mayhem for metal distortion
MXR M169 Carbon Copy Analog Delay

A Ibanez s520ex or a schecter c-1 blackjack
Inspired by Ibanez RGA321F Prestige, Gibson Les Paul Standard
Powered by CAA OD100 standard+ , Mesa 2x12
Affected by Maxon OD808, Mad Professor Deep blue delay

Dude that sounds like an awesome setup, i really wanna see from more people how good that new Seymour duncan distortion pedal is too. And i've been looking into the c-1 blackjack ATX fr myself.
Quote by acdcrocks0323
I would get something with a master volume for low volumes.

like a blackheart handsome devil instead ?
its 7 / 15 watt , maybe to loud or will it be ok ?

Quote by Jaekae
like a blackheart handsome devil instead ?
its 7 / 15 watt , maybe to loud or will it be ok ?

Well, I think he's saying that the with the BH5H head you have to crank it to get any overdrive. A master volume means that you can get that overdrive at lower volume.
^ I thought that a overdrive pedal could overdrive it at lower volumes also?
and that handsome devil do have a master volume and a drive knob, maybe ill go for that one instead?

Quote by Jaekae
^ I thought that a overdrive pedal could overdrive it at lower volumes also?
and that handsome devil do have a master volume and a drive knob, maybe ill go for that one instead?

Oh, I missed the part about you getting an OD, yeah, that would work.
Question, why are you getting a half stack for a bedroom rig? Especially if you're gonna get an OD pedal for it.
Quote by kthxbi
Question, why are you getting a half stack for a bedroom rig? Especially if you're gonna get an OD pedal for it.

It's an itty bitty half stack, think 1x12 combo but a little taller.
Quote by alkalineweeman
If by "clean" you mean "get a finger right up in there and do a good bit of spelunking" then i guess "at any given opportunity" is my answer.

mah hardcore band
http://monstersvsaliens.bandcamp.com/
It's like a mini stack, about the height of a reuglar guitar, right?

Even at 5watts/3watts, is it too loud for a bedroom amp? Does it take pedals well?
Quote by RSX
It's like a mini stack, about the height of a reuglar guitar, right?

Even at 5watts/3watts, is it too loud for a bedroom amp? Does it take pedals well?

Here's what I've heard and researched:
Yeah, I'd say it's a little shorter than a guitar.
It takes to pedals well.
It gets very loud for having 5 watts, but is a good bedroom amp.
Below is my bedroom rig and is most peoples due to the limited otptions of small wattage metal amps. That rig works out fine for me and for a bunch of others. So when comparing that to a 5 watt amp if most of us can deal with 50-120 watts in the bedroom im sure he will be just fine with a 5 watt amp. If you want tubes its something you have to deal with period. And i would take loudness over ss practice amp sound anyday...

Moral of the story get what you want and 5 watts is a really good starting point...

Quote by IbanezPsycho
Below is my bedroom rig and is most peoples due to the limited otptions of small wattage metal amps. That rig works out fine for me and for a bunch of others. So when comparing that to a 5 watt amp if most of us can deal with 50-120 watts in the bedroom im sure he will be just fine with a 5 watt amp. If you want tubes its something you have to deal with period. And i would take loudness over ss practice amp sound anyday...

Moral of the story get what you want and 5 watts is a really good starting point...

I envy you, sir.
Quote by IbanezPsycho

But what i'm saying is that I can get better low volume tones out of my 40 watt tube amp than my 5 watt tube amp, because my 5w has to be cranked for good tone. maybe you can get better low volume tones outa the blackheart tho since i haven't tried it.
Quote by yoyodunno
But what i'm saying is that I can get better low volume tones out of my 40 watt tube amp than my 5 watt tube amp, because my 5w has to be cranked for good tone. maybe you can get better low volume tones outa the blackheart tho since i haven't tried it.

Tone is subjectable to prefrence, i might like your 5 watts tone over your 40 watt who knows. But just looking at the numbers and like you said to get good tone the amp needs to be cranked so a 5 watt amp cranked is going to be alot more bearable then a 40 watt amp cranked in your bedroom. Because in the end to reach the perfect tone per said amp the 5 watt wins out over the cranked 40 watt amp in the bedroom environment. Volume 0-7 is always subjectable and defers in tube amps, but 7-10 is always the same and is were that tube sound comes out in all its glory. And given hitting that perfect tone at a lower volume in a bedroom vs destroying our hearing i think most of us here would pick the lower volume. Because right now i cant even turn mine up to 7 during the day hell i cant get it to 2 but with a 5 watter man if i could get a good metal tone out of one of those that thing would be cranked all the time. And sure you couldnt crank it up all the time but you can crank it up a hell of alot more then you could a 40 watter.
Last edited by IbanezPsycho at May 16, 2008,
IMO the blackheart is much of an upgrade over the cube.
Quote by doggy_hat
This chick that looked like shrek ****ed me while I was passed out on xanax. I screamed when I woke up.
Quote by cobain42
hows the twin tube mayhem?

from this video it seems pretty nice

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGgGBtbWxRs

ok, bottom line, your rig would work GREAT for bedroom use. the only thing i would add is a weber micro mass attenuator. i have a epi VJ (5W) that's PLENTY loud for bedroom use, and cranked it keeps up with a drummer. sometimes, i want that OD even quieter, and that's where the attenuator comes in. but an OD pedal isnt bad either, i have a BYOC TS808 clone that i use as well, and also a few boost pedals. so the lowdown is this:

amp vol 10, no pedals = max gain and volume from the amp (blackheart LG is a VJ with tone knobs, period)
amp vol 4 = clean (and beautifully so) but quiter than the gain tone, of course
amp vol 4 + OD = now you have switchable clean and gain, at same volume level, but the OD tone is slightly sacrificed compared to real output tube overdrive
amp vol 4 + distortion pedal = the sound of a cranked metal amp at any volume you choose
amp vol 10 + attenuator = real output tube overdrive, at vol 4 level, maintaining all the even order harmonics and dynamics
amp vol 4 + boost = switchable clean/real tube OD, but at different vol levels

so the best of both worlds would be a footswitchable attenuator, like on my Orange Thunderverb 50. of course, that seems to be a tverb thing, and hasnt spread to the rest of the amp world yet. works far better than a master volume.

key to attenuators though, there are good and bad ones. the good ones (like my weber micro mass, cheap as well) use an actual speaker motor to absorb the signal strength, thus keeping your tone intact. watch out for resistor based attenuators, as they tend to overheat and color your tone.

there. i think that about covers it. great bedroom/rehearsal setup though, for sure. although you might want to go with the 7/15W switchable one, so you can have even more options for playing in a band.
SG
Thunderverb 50
Foot Computers
Beer and snacks
Scenery
How loud would the blackheart at volume 4 be compared to my cube 30 ? ( vol 1-10 ) , if anybody knows ?