When i'm looking at the chord changes to a song, how do i know which mode to use?
Jesus for president. PM me to join the campaign. or just sig it.

Of course God has a sense of humor. Look at the Platypus...

Member #9 of the Trumpet Players' Alliance, PM E V H 5150 to inquire about joining.
no, just more of, i want to figure out from how to use what scale where. like, i want to be able to look at the chord changes and say, hey, i should use locrian, or something like that
Jesus for president. PM me to join the campaign. or just sig it.

Of course God has a sense of humor. Look at the Platypus...

Member #9 of the Trumpet Players' Alliance, PM E V H 5150 to inquire about joining.
when writing the music and using a note out side of the scale, isn't that called an "accidental?"
Quote by Duff_McGee
Everyone knows that the day the Metallica ends, the world ends.
by my very limited understanding, you play in the key your chords are in, and a good mode to play tends to be the one thats on the same degree as the chord, someone correct me if im wrong
BE HAPPY

Quote by ajmasterjaydude
so this kid at my school microwaved brussel sprouts for lunch, and when he was about to eat them one of them exploded on his face and burned him. i like turtles

in a thread about malmsteen^
Quote by joshua029
when writing the music and using a note out side of the scale, isn't that called an "accidental?"
A accidental is the actual marking in the sheet music. You're describing a chromatic tone.

If you have a progression Am G F E7, you play A Natural Minor over the first three chords. It is unnecessary to think of it as A Aeolian, G Mixo, and F Lydian. Over the E7 chord, you play A Harmonic Minor.

However, certain chromatic tones, such as Eb, will sound better over certain chords in that progression. Listen to the difference between playing Eb over F and Am.
just pick any mode of the same key

if its a major chord use a major mode (ionian, lydian, mixolydian)
same with minor (dorian, phyrgian, aolean, locrian)

thats what i do, but i can't be certain if those are the actual rules or not...
stuff:
guitar.
amp.
acoustic.