HAIL BRETHERNS!!!

here i come with another n00b question

I've read that you should use a thick pick if you want to play "lead guitar", I mean, single string playing, and to use a thin pick to play chords.

question is ... what happens if I want to play a whole song? I have to play chords most of the time (thin pick) but I have to play a solo aswell (thick pick)

i dont think I have to change picks in the middle of the song, so I guess I just play with the pick I feel most comfortable? :p
Quote by Gacel
HAIL BRETHERNS!!!
I guess I just play with the pick I feel most comfortable? :p

yup
Dunlop .88mm, not to thin, but strong and thick enough to play leads confortably
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez S2170FB
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
TEXAS A&M
IT doesn't make a HUGE difference, usually...just whatever you like to use. I like the Dunlop 1.0 MM Little Stubby picks, myself.
Genius may have its limitations; stupidity is not thus handicapped.
probably find something of an inbetweeny guage
possibly a 1mm stubby
or a jazz III
Quote by Shred Head
You have an atrocious sense of humour!

Quote by StrayCatBlues
You win 100 hilarity points.

Spend them wisely.

Quote by GrisKy
you're a funny, funny man, chimp in a tux... funny indeed.
Jazz III very nice picks, and small.
great tone with those little mothers...
Quote by Eliyahu
Mr.Cuddles killed The Metal!!!! FUCK YES!

Quote by TheReverend724
Mr Cuddles pretty much nailed it...

Quote by thanksgiving

"Oh Mr.Cuddles, you make my pants go boom boom. I are horny. Do not disappoint I"

Viscara (my band)
i woudln't use thin picks with chords, they break too easy

i just use a dunlop big stubby for everything
stuff:
guitar.
amp.
acoustic.
lately im playing mostly with a Jim Dunlop 0.60mm, is it too thin? :S (before that I was using a 0.38)
I like Dunlop 1.12mm (or 1.14mm I never remember) tortex picks. Real thick and heavy, feels great to hammer out on these things.
Quote by the_axis
i woudln't use thin picks with chords, they break too easy

Depends on the material.

I use a fairly thick pick (.94, but as stiff as any pick I've found), and it's not ideal for conventional rhythm work. Instead of just strumming my rhythms, I've developed a rhythm approach using hybrid picking, which gives a more piano like attack on chords, and I prefer it sonically.
My name is Tom, feel free to use it.
i usually use a dunlop tortex .78 when doing rhythm or acoustic stuff. good tone from them. i've found that if i want to play fast (when i'm doing exclusive leads i'll use a 1.5 gator grip) with the .78 i'll really choke up my grip on it; shorten the distance between the striking point of the pick and my fingers. this stiffens the pick a lot and makes it feel like a thicker pick. at least to me. i also use it on guitars with tight suspension (high tension, hard to bend and vibrato) when i sweep. sweeps on an acoustic sound great with it.
Quote by Gacel
HAIL BRETHERNS!!!

here i come with another n00b question

I've read that you should use a thick pick if you want to play "lead guitar", I mean, single string playing, and to use a thin pick to play chords.

question is ... what happens if I want to play a whole song? I have to play chords most of the time (thin pick) but I have to play a solo aswell (thick pick)

i dont think I have to change picks in the middle of the song, so I guess I just play with the pick I feel most comfortable? :p

who ever says you "have" to do one for this and another for that is an idiot. it doesnt matter. i use a thick pick for rhythm and lead. if you know how to pick and it shouldnt be a problem and you dont need a thin pick.
I personally love thicker picks for chords, actually; it allows me much more dynamic control than thin picks, which tend to float over the strings.

I'd recommend Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm (purple) or Dunlop Jazz III XL's out of personal experience and preference.
I'm a tone perfectionist to the point of where I switch picks in the middle of songs. I use Jazz III's for any lead stuff or anything with tremolo picking, Dunlop Nylon .60's for funky strumming type things, and Nylon .73's for less funky rhythm or single note parts that aren't leads. To make this work out, I have some doublesided tape on my guitar where I keep the two picks I'm not using at the time, then I have some backups in my pockets.
.88 Tortex is perfect for me...and I play all styles.
Quote by metal4all
Just, no. Locrian should be treated like that gay cousin. Just avoid him cuz he's weird, unstable, and is attracted to the wrong thing.

Quote by steven seagull
Big deal, I bought a hamster once and they put that in a box...doesn't make it a scale.
all you people are girls, real men play with dunlop 2.0mm stubbies.

seriously a pick with a reference to beer has got to be as manly as they get...
Quote by coolstoryangus
Pffffffft schematics

Although i guess the OP will have to get used to reading them if he's going to buy a bugera..
Quote by gregs1020

along with fire escape routes...

2.0mm?!?!? wtf i play with 0.60 and I was thinking it was too thick already
i can't use anything below 2mm it's to floppy and i can't build up speed while picking. my picking just isn't as smooth with anything below 2mm.
Quote by coolstoryangus
Pffffffft schematics

Although i guess the OP will have to get used to reading them if he's going to buy a bugera..
Quote by gregs1020

along with fire escape routes...

I like Jazz III for practicing single string stuff, because they "force" you to play cleaner.

I use dunlop delrin for lead and rythm at the time tho. Really nice for rythm, and a nice sound when your picking. But it varies.
Ibanez s540 with gold Schaller bridge and OMGGOLD hardware

Ibanez RGR320 with Lo-Edge Pro bridge and scalloped fretboard

Lee Jackson XLSC - 500

Roland Microcube

Dunlop Jazz III black
I use 2mm picks for chords and lead. >_>;
I sued Delta Airlines, 'cause they sold me a ticket to New Jersey, I went there, and it SUCKED.
i use dunlop .96mm
but im gonna get some jazz 3s
Turn on, Tune in, Drop out.

-Timothy Leary
Last edited by RandyVanhalen13 at May 18, 2008,
Quote by ObsceneGestures
IT doesn't make a HUGE difference, usually...just whatever you like to use. I like the Dunlop 1.0 MM Little Stubby picks, myself.

Yeah but if you use extra light nylon picks, you can't do **** all for leads man. No tremelo picking or multi-string skipping fo' you . Around 1 mm is what I'd recommend, even if I don't play with them usually, because I'm a hypocrite and suck at lead

Maybe even like .65-.7 mm for "in between" stuff. If you want to play slow, "emotional" (lol) leads, while maintaining a steady and interesting rhythm, that's what I'd use (for alt./ classic rock).