I know Rock Discipline is a very popular instructional video/book, and a very helpful one. I've used the warm-ups for awhile myself, but sometimes I felt I was overdoing it as far as the left hand stretches go. My hand would be very warm by the time I did each variation and went as far down the neck as I could go.

Now I started to wonder if I should even continue using them for a few reasons: the back of my hand, above the wrist would ache when I finished and I'd have a pain in the palm of my hand, 2 - it took me usually 30 to 45 minutes to do them, and 3 - I considered information I've come across stating that static stretching doesn't help to prevent injury or contribute to greater dynamic/active range of movement. These articles always discuss stretches in the context of athletes and sports though (stretching your legs by doing toe touches and stuff like that, or for dynamic stretching, swinging your leg up in front of you in a controlled manner, blah blah blah). Can these same principles apply to your fingers only?
Originally Posted by SkyValley
yeah im a virgin but im also pretty good at things like ping-pong and drawing pictures of people playing water polo so it balances out
Anyone else??
yeah im a virgin but im also pretty good at things like ping-pong and drawing pictures of people playing water polo so it balances out
Yes, your fingers have muscles and ligaments blah, blah, blah right?
Quote by Fishyesque
Well, you might make her think otherwise.

You could just show her that you have a PS3 and BANG.

Heterosexual.

Quote by metal4all
A chainsaw can take a girl off her feet pretty nicely. Then there are less limbs to worry about while you rape her.
If it's hurting your hand, Stop.

Golden rule. Always follow it. I know guitarists that have over done it and totally ****ed up their abilities.

Any guitar teacher will tell you, if it hurts, stop.
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
Quote by meh!
If it's hurting your hand, Stop.

+1
■■■
'member The Pit of 10'? oH, I 'member!

╚═ ▼▲▼▲▼═╝
Quote by Baasoromyuu
I know Rock Discipline is a very popular instructional video/book, and a very helpful one. I've used the warm-ups for awhile myself, but sometimes I felt I was overdoing it as far as the left hand stretches go. My hand would be very warm by the time I did each variation and went as far down the neck as I could go.

Now I started to wonder if I should even continue using them for a few reasons: the back of my hand, above the wrist would ache when I finished and I'd have a pain in the palm of my hand, 2 - it took me usually 30 to 45 minutes to do them, and 3 - I considered information I've come across stating that static stretching doesn't help to prevent injury or contribute to greater dynamic/active range of movement. These articles always discuss stretches in the context of athletes and sports though (stretching your legs by doing toe touches and stuff like that, or for dynamic stretching, swinging your leg up in front of you in a controlled manner, blah blah blah). Can these same principles apply to your fingers only?

are you playing 10 gauge strings by any chance. i had a lot of hand conditions and i need to use 9s and use superstrat type guitars for shredding. I think the muscles can be too warmed up that the tendons become inflamed..i feel pain in this situation.

good routine for me is hand in warm water if cold, powerball, easy hand stretching chromatic exercises like in the rock discipline. Its pointless doing huge streaching because its not required for most guitar work (maybe piano tho with big octaves)
I've been using .09s all this time. I don't know if it matters but the stretch between the 2nd and 3rd finger I'd take up to the 5th or 4th fret somedays, then the last stretch between every finger I'd go down to the 5th or 4th fret also. When I started doing those two stretches I started getting that aching in my palm/back of my hand above my wrist (which after some time, I felt after I'd finished them all, not immediately after the 1st one I mentioned as was the case when I first introduced them to my warm up routine).

Well thanks everyone.
Do as many as it takes to warm yourself up. If it hurts, stop.
Quote by Vornik
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to put it, along with your other advice, into a book, the pages of which I will then use to wipe my ass.
I just remembered, Matt Heafy plays all of rock discipline to warm up before he plays live.
Quote by Vornik
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to put it, along with your other advice, into a book, the pages of which I will then use to wipe my ass.