I was looking around and was wondering if there were any mods like for the fender hotrod, but instead for the Deluxe reverb (not the twin)

Looking to make it more practical, or more tone whatever:P I must say it has a clean sound to kill for blows every wannabe MG out of the way

so thanks ahead for any help
Last edited by ferguson911 at May 16, 2008,
I personally, wouldn't touch the Deluxe Reverb in anyway with regards to modding. It is probably one of the best amps out there, and doesn't need more tone. It also has some badass natural overdrive too.
Quote by greggybhoy
I personally, wouldn't touch the Deluxe Reverb in anyway with regards to modding. It is probably one of the best amps out there, and doesn't need more tone. It also has some badass natural overdrive too.

=win
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
well, i was hesitant to buying the deluxe reverb ( single) while there were some hot rods with much more options and all, but the sound kinda made me go after it, is there anywayt to get a nice natural overdrive without having the volume knob to 8 minimum or is it a prerequisite:P

was this a good buy :P, i find my G&L legacy, ts-9 tubescreamer and fender deluxe sound a little thin for hard blues ( like i call it)

If possible would anyone recommend settings without refering me to the settings thread
Quote by ferguson911
well, i was hesitant to buying the deluxe reverb ( single) while there were some hot rods with much more options and all, but the sound kinda made me go after it, is there anywayt to get a nice natural overdrive without having the volume knob to 8 minimum or is it a prerequisite:P

was this a good buy :P, i find my G&L legacy, ts-9 tubescreamer and fender deluxe sound a little thin for hard blues ( like i call it)

If possible would anyone recommend settings without refering me to the settings thread

Well, if you want natural overdrive, look for an attenuator, which limits the power output, so you can still crank it and have the tubes clip, but not the resulting volume. A popular one is the THD Hotplate.
Just use the 'magic six', it works on all ( reissue and pre-'83) Fenders.
Volume: 6
Treble: 6
Bass: 2
Reverb: 3 (2x3=6)

The IMO best mod for a DRRI is to cut the bright cap, which is on the volume pot. The amp is bright enough without it. For breakup at lower volumes, you could look into cathode biasing, but that will change the tone a lot (for the better, IMO).
Quote by mr_hankey

The IMO best mod for a DRRI is to cut the bright cap, which is on the volume pot. The amp is bright enough without it. For breakup at lower volumes, you could look into cathode biasing, but that will change the tone a lot (for the better, IMO).

I agree about the magic 6, but lets say, i already played an auditorium at school with my amp at 2, and i beleive in band practice 6 will bury everyone

in gigging shouldi bring it up to 6, even though it is mic'ed ( will this ruin my clean tones?) or will it jsut be lets say orgasmic XD

and only 2 bass? wth?
Quote by ferguson911
I agree about the magic 6, but lets say, i already played an auditorium at school with my amp at 2, and i beleive in band practice 6 will bury everyone

in gigging shouldi bring it up to 6, even though it is mic'ed ( will this ruin my clean tones?) or will it jsut be lets say orgasmic XD

and only 2 bass? wth?

Of course. I rarely get the chance to turn the volume up to six either, but that is where it sounds best. With your guitars volume knob and picking dynamics, you can take it from clean to a decent amount of overdrive.

On some Fenders the speaker will fart out, and on others you'll just get too much bass. You can of course stray from '2' a bit, but I've never played one which sounded good with the bass above three. It mostly depends on the speakers.
Quote by mr_hankey
Of course. I rarely get the chance to turn the volume up to six either, but that is where it sounds best. With your guitars volume knob and picking dynamics, you can take it from clean to a decent amount of overdrive.

On some Fenders the speaker will fart out, and on others you'll just get too much bass. You can of course stray from '2' a bit, but I've never played one which sounded good with the bass above three. It mostly depends on the speakers.

i had my bass ans treble at 6 since i got it :O that is probably why my tone isnt like i want it.

Anybody agree on my setup, Fender deluxe reverb, American G&L Legacy SSS, and a pod xt live( mainly for HIGH distortion that my ts9 cant cover, also wah and volume) and finally ibanez ts9 tubescreamer without fogetting my rocktron banshee talkbox which i love with a passion

should i be a happy camper :P
lool
I must say it has a clean sound to kill for blows every wannabe MG out of the way
QUOTE]
any amp could do that.
Gear:

Fractal Axe FX
VHT 2/50/2
Orange 4x12
Voodoo Lab Ground Control Pro

Ibanez RGA 121 w/ Crunchlab and Liquifire
Music Man John Petrucci Mystic Dream
ERG Custom Guitar
Quote by ferguson911
I must say it has a clean sound to kill for blows every wannabe MG out of the way
QUOTE]

any amp could do that.
Gear:

Fractal Axe FX
VHT 2/50/2
Orange 4x12
Voodoo Lab Ground Control Pro

Ibanez RGA 121 w/ Crunchlab and Liquifire
Music Man John Petrucci Mystic Dream
ERG Custom Guitar
Quote by ferguson911

That's a great setup. You will get decent overdrive from the TS-9. The Deluxe is a quiet amp by the way. Ask slatsmania, he mentioned the other day that a Crate V-16 is louder - that's not t say don't buy it though! Just hinting that you should be able to crank it. The HotRod is a step down IMO, never mind the extra features, which are what? A dedicated drive channel? I think it sounds good but most people hate it's drive channel.
Quote by greggybhoy
That's a great setup. You will get decent overdrive from the TS-9. The Deluxe is a quiet amp by the way. Ask slatsmania, he mentioned the other day that a Crate V-16 is louder - that's not t say don't buy it though! Just hinting that you should be able to crank it.

It's true. The DRRI is probably my main practice amp. You can crank it up pretty nicely without pissing off the neighbors. I'd be more concerned about it not being loud enough, rather than too loud.

Quote by greggybhoy
The HotRod is a step down IMO, never mind the extra features, which are what? A dedicated drive channel? I think it sounds good but most people hate it's drive channel.

Geez... the DRRI is just so much nicer than the Hot Rod. The drive channel on the HRD is practically useless, and the more drive is completely useless. Meanwhile, the reverb and tremolo on the DRRI are absolutely incredible! Featurewise and tonewise, I'll take the DRRI over the HRD every time.

I use mine with a TS808. I'm very happy with the results. I also have a couple G&L's, both with their MDF p'ups. They match up perfectly with the DRRI.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by ferguson911

buy a volume box for your effects loop(some guy on ebay has them) or use a pedal in the effect loop and turn the effect down and just use the gain or volume to control your overall volume. This will allow you to crank the amp up and saturate the tubes and still allow you to use this to act as a master volume to control the overall loudness. Neet trick and works great.
WHY DO I NEED TO PRESS ONE FOR ENGLISH!!!!!
Quote by jjegg
buy a volume box for your effects loop(some guy on ebay has them) or use a pedal in the effect loop and turn the effect down and just use the gain or volume to control your overall volume. This will allow you to crank the amp up and saturate the tubes and still allow you to use this to act as a master volume to control the overall loudness. Neet trick and works great.

First of all, the DRRI doesn't have an effects loop. Secondly, that 'volume box' trick is very useless.
Quote by mr_hankey
First of all, the DRRI doesn't have an effects loop. Secondly, that 'volume box' trick is very useless.

I actually use my pedalboard to somehow equalize my overdrive and clean sounds.

The weirdest part is that i'm playing only some blues, with alot of rock, where a lespaul and a jcm2000 or whatever would mainly have its place :P

gives me a nice little tone.

Also the tone knobs on my G&L i have control on treble and bass, should i leave them at 10?
Last edited by ferguson911 at May 17, 2008,
Quote by mr_hankey

i thought the magic six was:
Mids: 3 (2x3=6)

?

EDIT:never mind. in this case, your 'magic six' was more applyable (is that even a word ? )because the deluxe reverb doesn't have a mid knob, but i'm pretty sure the 'real' magix six is like i said...
Last edited by The red Strat. at May 17, 2008,
I would like to have a Deluxe Reverb....
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...