Moneywise? Over here in Ireland, country musicians definitely make more than rock musicians (you know, unless you're in U2 or something) and have a more steady stream of gigs.

I think everybody should play a little country anyway, I found it hugely beneficial.
My name is Tom, feel free to use it.
ok since when has music been about money and **** ****ry
Quote by HaKattack
Woman tone, eh?

Set treble to PUT THE TOILET SEAT DOWN WHEN YOU'RE DONE
Mids to YOU'RE DRIVING TOO FAST
Bass to WHAT DO YOU MEAN, "MAKE ME A SANDWICH"?
Gain to NOT TONIGHT, I HAVE A HEADACHE.

starter of the nadsat group
dude, play what you want, not for how much you can get. if you play just what need to to get some cash, your a sellout
HiMyNameIsMatt
Quote by reedplaysgeetar
ok since when has music been about money and **** ****ry

If you want to make a solid living as a gigging musician, or have regular work as a session musician, you'll need to have some experience in country music.
My name is Tom, feel free to use it.
^ unfortunately this guy is right. and yes, country musicians have more gigs available to them. it's more mainstream than rock and they do actually have a larger audience. think i'm playing? if you live in the US look at the top 10, 20 or 50 charts on any given week. you'll find pop and country dominate the charts. if you're lucky you'll see a rock album or 2 (and usually its not really rocking stuff, its more like hinder/seether pop rock crap)
While technically he is right, you should have slit his throat on the spot for even suggesting such a thing. If you are making music, or any form of art, for the sole purpose of monetary gain, then you are not an artist. That is a terrible, terrible way of looking at one's musicianship.
There's no harm that can come from exploring as many genres of music as possible; you can only expand your repertoire of techniques and ideas this way. Some of it is downright fun to play too.
You all irritate me...

It all depends on your audience. If your playing in a middleclass neighborhood to kids, play pop-rock/emo/punk (you get my drift). If your playing in a lowerclass area, generally hip/hop or techno would do the trick (how you play that on a guitar IDK). If your playing for middle-higher class middle aged people, you probably should play jazz or classical or something pretentious fags call "fine" music.
If your playing out in towns or on the outskirts of cities (in any western country), play southern rock (basically, country, blues, rock combined). Maybe you might wanna play something thats more country than blues if your in country ireland and something thats more rock than country if your playing in britain and something thats more blues/country than rock if your in australia or america.
Except I think jazz works well in brazil and europe, regardless of the neighborhood. What you would play in non-western country I dont know.

Watch TV and get out more, to see whats playing in the background of pubs/clubs

Quote by reedplaysgeetar
ok since when has music been about money and **** cuntry
Since musicians realised they could capatalise off their music.
If you are actually american, can i just ask, what the hell is it with americans and country music? Im normally a very opened minded person but country is just the most boring music ive listened to.

Ive never heard any that i liked and in my experience it lacks the catchiness of pop, the fire of rock/blues, the technicality of jazz or metal or any positive attributes to draw me in, or draw in normal people.

Also the stereotype of not very attractive people in country music puts me in less of a mind to take interest either.

Any good ones that i should listen to?
Quote by RedFez64
If you are actually american, can i just ask, what the hell is it with americans and country music? Im normally a very opened minded person but country is just the most boring music ive listened to.

Ive never heard any that i liked and in my experience it lacks the catchiness of pop, the fire of rock/blues, the technicality of jazz or metal or any positive attributes to draw me in, or draw in normal people.

Also the stereotype of not very attractive people in country music puts me in less of a mind to take interest either.

Any good ones that i should listen to?

theres sort of an alt country / indie folk revival going on right now....

listen to these two tracks....damn good music youll prob like

http://hypem.com/track/351150 < bright eyes-lets not **** ourselves
http://hypem.com/track/383563 < two gallants-las cruces jail

damn good music imo, lots of country/ folk music is good you just need to know where to look. no one genre of music is bad in its entirety .
Quote by will0mon
While technically he is right, you should have slit his throat on the spot for even suggesting such a thing. If you are making music, or any form of art, for the sole purpose of monetary gain, then you are not an artist. That is a terrible, terrible way of looking at one's musicianship.

Look, this attitude, and the "sellout" attitude are ****ing retarded.

If you're a musician, you make music to make music. If you love it enough to make it your job, then you become a working musician.

Working musicians need to eat too. There are a lot of us who do this because we love it; and because we want to make money. The two aren't mutually exclusive.
Quote by les_kris
Corwinoid is God
I'm not even God-like... I've officially usurped the Almighty's throne.
Click here to worship me.

Member #3 of the Corwinoid Fan Club
Quote by RedFez64
Very white stripes consider me proven wrong though.

I also discovered alison krauss.

the white stripes are more garage rock, indie rock... those bands on the whole dont usually sound like, bright eyes though can go from being punk to full blown country to electronic music with drum machines and crazy samples...two gallants are more consistent. alison krauss is alright, Im not a huge fan.
Quote by Corwinoid
If you're a musician, you make music to make music. If you love it enough to make it your job, then you become a working musician.

Working musicians need to eat too. There are a lot of us who do this because we love it; and because we want to make money. The two aren't mutually exclusive.
I dont think "musician" should be a job. I think "musician" should be a hobby. As in, dont quit your day job.
If your making money as a byproduct of your music, go ahead and enjoy the perks. But if you turn music into a buisness, than your only gonna care about the money, not the music.