Zakk Wlyde techniques? He only knows 1!

...pinch harmonics.
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
he uses the pentatonic scale alot and also learn how to do pinch harmonics really well and its Zakk not Zach, he's too cool for the regular spelling
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination
practices pinches and palm muting he likes pentatonic from what ive experienced and down tuning like a mother
Zakk, not Zach, he's way to cool to be called Zach.

Pentatonics, Harmonics, Wah, Vibrato (Very good use of it), Shredding. And beer (I think that's one of his techniques)

ZAKK FTW!
Also, a popular technique of his is to literally become a god of all the known planet whilst playing, but this might be a tad hard for less experienced players.
Quote by metal4all
Zakk Wlyde techniques? He only knows 1!

...pinch harmonics.

I gotta say something about this..You can tell a person that doesnt listen
to Black Label Society...

Yeah..Zakk plays some music with thunderous palm mutes..dropped tunings
and pinch harmonics..but those are just the songs where he need those
techniques to get his point across..which is usually really aggressive...

But some of Black Labels music is totally awesome and deep. The chord voicings
and arpeggios that he uses sound like magic sometimes. He can play piano..
great ballads and anything else he wants to play. Yes he is famous for letting
his gonads hang...but the man is a true musician...and BLS is actually one of the
most diverse bands around...mixing blues and rock...hard rock and metal..even
country and metal...just because a player is famous for playing one way does
not mean that they are limited to only those techniques...

his techniques are not easy at all..pinch harmonics and pentatonic scales are
what hes most famous for..but there are a lot of small things that create his
sound..like effects..the right blend of effects...various wah techniques..and
about 40,000 left AND right hand techniques...
I bet Charlie Brown's teacher's name was Mrs.Hammett
Last edited by Washburnd Fretz at May 16, 2008,
i think hes been known sometimes use that technique where you pick with your middle and ring fingers and a pick at the same time. and he uses the pentatonic scale, a lot of pinch harmonics, a lot of palm muting, and sometimes he uses chromatic type stuff.

hes pretty much just a generic pentatonic guitarist imo
Quote by Emo-Slayer
practices pinches and palm muting he likes pentatonic from what ive experienced and down tuning like a mother

yep...lol
Quote by Washburnd Fretz

his gonads hang...but the man is a true musician...and BLS is actually one of the

He's a wonderful guitarist but he's really just plain annoying in my opinion....When I saw him with Ozzy he really degraded the show....
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Actually, I don't think it is Zachary, since Zakk Wylde isn't his real name (he changed it to that).
^+1 Yes, the technique is referred to as Chicken' Pickin'.
Zakk's one of my favorite guitarists and I based quite a bit of my playing style around his style, so I'll give you a few pointers here and then cover them in detail:

1. Vibrato/bends
2. Pinch harmonics
3. Wah-wah
4. Pentatonic box licks

Firstly, one of the most characteristic things about Zakk's playing is his vibrato. It's a very heavy one but is used well and doesn't throw the notes out of tune. His entire style is about power and heaviness and his vibrato reflects that. One of the keys to doing this is to get your entire wrist involved, because you'll get much more power that way than with your fingers alone or your fingers and some wrist motion. Practice moving your wrist as though you were turning a doorknob back and forth while holding the note down and work your way up until you're able to get that kind of heavy vibrato using various finger combinations. He uses heavy vibrato on his double stops as well, so make sure you practice this as well. Another player worth looking into for vibrato like this is Angus Young; his is wide and even like Wylde's as opposed to someone like Kerry King who has a heavy but very uneven vibrato.

Zakk's bends are forceful as well, and this is amplified by the vibrato; however, one of the characteristics of his bending technique is a so-called "dirty bend". I do these all the time and it sounds very heavy and quite good with a wah pedal on (I'll address this a bit later). What you have to do is take a bend like this:
e----------
B-13b15-

and turn it into this:
e---------------------------------
B-----------13b15--------------
G--------x-----------------------
D------x-------------------------
A----x---------------------------
E--x-----------------------------

I do this by placing my palm on the bottom four (in this example) strings and just picking with a hard flick of the wrist; your palm should deaden all the strings below the bend as you hit them, but come off in time for you to hit the note you desire. Practice it slowly because it can be a strange technique to get used to and make sure you're playing accurately.

Secondly, you'll notice he uses pinch harmonics often -- and does them WELL. You can tell when it's Zakk playing a harmonic (no "all the time" remarks here) because it's simply a huge sound. This is of course due in part to his equipment, but most of it just comes from a great technique. I won't pretend to be an expert on his gear, but I do know that his most resonant harmonics are on the low E and A strings, and his sets of strings have much thicker low strings than standard sets. He plays on .10-.60 normally and .11-.70 downtuned, and I'm using the .11-.70 right now (in standard, actually) and can vouch for the resonant harmonics. He has quite a bit of mids in his tone which also contributes, and if you have a "presence" knob on your amp, raising that a little can help as well.

In terms of technique, Zakk himself has recommend simply practicing playing a bunch of lead lines as just downstroked pinch harmonics, which he did for a long time and it's obviously paid off very well. Practice on all the settings you can; people think pinch harmonics are only achieved with an assload of gain but this isn't true. You can always hit pinch harmonics, but they're just much more resonant with more gain. I've practiced pinch harmonics on an acoustic just to make sure I had the technique down. So just take some exercises and licks that you normally play and then turn them into downstroke pinch harmonic lines and you'll have a good start.

Thirdly, Zakk is my favorite wah user. Departing from conventional use (look at players such as Hammett and Slash to see what I mean by "conventional"), he uses the pedal primarily as a treble booster. When he's playing his fastest runs on the high E string, you'll pretty much always hear a wah (toe-down position) that helps to really bring out the high notes. When he's playing on the low strings, he'll either use the wah in toe-down position with palm muting or leave it about halfway to get a bassy, tube-ier sound. Listen to the palm muted runs in the solo of "Stillborn" or the ending runs to the BLS version of "No More Tears" for an example of this kind of sound.

Zakk also uses the wah to really accentuate bends; as he bends the note up to pitch, he'll push the pedal from the heel-down position to the toe-down position so the treble increases as the pitch heightens for a very defined effect. Examples can be found in many of his solos, including "In This River" (the bend right before the fast runs) , "Farewell Ballad" (again, he uses the bend before a fast bit) and "1,000,000 Miles Away" (right after the opening trill). Going back to the "dirty bend", if you apply this concept to one and time it correctly you'll get a very well-defined scratching sound before the note sounds. He uses a similar wah effect with trills; he'll hold the pedal at about halfway while doing a trill to get a more tube-like sound and slowly bring it down so the treble is increased. Look at the beginning trills of the solos to "1,000,000 Miles Away" and "Stillborn" for this kind of effect. If you pay attention to your timing and toe accuracy, you can get your fast runs, bends and trills to sound like his.

Finally, he sticks largely to the minor pentatonic scale; in addition to playing some common blues and scalar licks, he uses a lot of fast runs that are two-note-per-string runs which cover the top three strings and repeat strings. They look like this and should be played with strict alternate picking:
e--17-14-------------------------------------------17-14----------------------------------------------
B----------17-14---------17-14---------------------------17-14---------17-14---------------------
G------------------16-14---------16-14---------------------------16-14---------16-14-------------
D-------------------------------------------16-14-------------------------------------------16-14-----
A----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
E----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The faster bits of the solos to "Crazy Babies" and "Time After Time" contain licks like these. Searching through all of his work, you'll be able to find some licks that he particularly gravitates towards. "Fire It Up" contains quite a few so look at that.

Just some final thoughts here; in terms of pickup selection, he's using the bridge pickup most of the time except for fast runs on the low strings where he's on the neck pickup. He plays around with the tone knob quite a bit and can get a wide range of sounds by using it. In addition, his playing doesn't revolve around many flashier tricks; if you listen to "A Horse Called War" you'll hear him use the pickup switch as a killswitch which is about as flashy as he'll go. He doesn't tap much, and when he does he'll usually play a note on the G string and slide slowly up an octave with his right hand and bend the note. If you go for power and blues influence over 80's-styled flash tricks you'll be pretty set.

I realize that this is now pretty long; hopefully you can digest some of these ideas!
From what I've seen and heard the main technique is called "pentatonic wanking," bending random notes and harmonics every so often. And occasionally he does some overused lick.

Out of all the guitarist's giving metal a bad name, zakk is the worst.
i think that while people like Zakk Wylde and Slash are the most overrated guitarists on this planet, kids see Slash on guitar hero, they see Zakk playing Crazy Train with to much distortion and a pinch harmonic every second note, and these kids say "i wanna do that", people like Zakk Wylde influence kids to pick up the guitar. who knows the next Paul Gilbert might have picked up a guitar because he saw Slash on Guitar Hero 3.

how to play like Zakk Wylde is easy. Alternate pick the Minor Pentatonic scale bend every 3rd note, and throw in a pinch harmonic every 5th note.
Quote by coolstoryangus
Pffffffft schematics

Although i guess the OP will have to get used to reading them if he's going to buy a bugera..
Quote by gregs1020

along with fire escape routes...

Quote by aradine
i think that while people like Zakk Wylde and Slash are the most overrated guitarists on this planet, kids see Slash on guitar hero, they see Zakk playing Crazy Train with to much distortion and a pinch harmonic every second note, and these kids say "i wanna do that", people like Zakk Wylde influence kids to pick up the guitar. who knows the next Paul Gilbert might have picked up a guitar because he saw Slash on Guitar Hero 3.

how to play like Zakk Wylde is easy. Alternate pick the Minor Pentatonic scale bend every 3rd note, and throw in a pinch harmonic every 5th note.
Wow, I didnt think anyone would agree with me.

Kiddies generally wanna play like whoever they listened to before they played guitar. Than, as they realised how ridiculously easy it is, they move on to more complicated songs. Hey, I started playing blink 182 songs.
well i started playing guitar because some kid in my grade 6 class played and i got jealous...
Quote by coolstoryangus
Pffffffft schematics

Although i guess the OP will have to get used to reading them if he's going to buy a bugera..
Quote by gregs1020

along with fire escape routes...

Demonofthenight, Aradine, the OP probably doesn't care about your opinion, he asked for help on sounding like Zakk, not what you thought of him.
Call me Batman.
Quote by Washburnd Fretz

No one can take a joke anymore. I DO listen to BLS and i respect Zakk Wlyde as a guitarist a lot because he is definetly really good at what he does (except for that cliche ballad song for Dimebag. i hate him for that but i still like him.)

If someone asked something about Kirk Hammett i would talk about how he rapes his wah pedal and he's my favorite guitarist.

Anywho, everythings already been stated.
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Quote by demonofthenight
From what I've seen and heard the main technique is called "pentatonic wanking," bending random notes and harmonics every so often. And occasionally he does some overused lick.

Out of all the guitarist's giving metal a bad name, zakk is the worst.

he only ripped it up with ozzy for 20 years...