Poll: Do you believe in absolute truth?
Poll Options
View poll results: Do you believe in absolute truth?
Yes
56 40%
No
85 60%
Voters: 141.
Page 1 of 3
Under what circumstances?
Originally posted by TestForEcho
Badreligionrock is the man.

Quote by Pinky19
Badreligionrock you have the greatest avatar of all time. Rejected is the best video. Period.
I believe in teh whole truth, the truth, the moderate truth, and nothing but the truth.
Quote by strat335
absolute truth? say what?

i think its when you dont lie at all?
correct me if im wrong

i think its necessary to lie under certain circumstances
~ Purchase your tickets; I'm kicking your crosses down ~
There's no such thing. There's either the full truth, or it's a lie, even if it's partial.
Some things are absolute: I woke up today, I breathe on a regular basis, etc; they can be proven objectively true or false. Built atop those are subjective truths; one man's holy war is another man's unprovoked invasion, but it's absolutely true that there was violence in that region.
Absolute truth is a reference to truth which is always true, no matter what, where or when. Well, least in philosophical terms, not sure what Madcap is thinking.

A priori truths for the win, they solve this problem
Quote by freedoms_stain
Definition? Absolute Truth is a bit vague.
I suppose I mean something (we'll call it X) in which there is a 0% probablity that X is false.

I'm having trouble putting this into words, though.
yeah i believe in absolute truth, but who is to say what it is in it's entirety?

*shrug*
Remember through sounds
Remember through smells
Remember through colors
Remember through towns
-Modest Mouse, "Novocaine Stain"
YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!

(had to be done)

However, I'm not all for it.
Let's say that you have a pregnant wife/gf, and you're out shopping. She comes out of the dressing room, looking REALLY awful, waay to tight dress. Do you say:

A.You look gorgeous honey!
B.You look like a fat cow, now go change quick before you embarass me even more!
C.How'd you get out of the kitchen?

To sum it up, lie your guts out to pregnant women, otherwise, go with the truth
Quote by The Madcap
I suppose I mean something (we'll call it X) in which there is a 0% probablity that X is false.

Which is always right, no matter what scenario.

For example, the chances of a feather hitting the ground the same time as a brick, when dropped at the same time, wouldn't ever happen on Earth, but would on the moon.
Quote by The Madcap

Let me see if I can help you out.

This is by definition of what he's trying to say, not what I think.

Truth: "I got into a car accident"
Absolute Truth: "I ran a red light, hit another car and got into a car accident"

That what you mean? Absolute meaning FULL entire truth?
No.

EDIT:

Seeings as people are having trouble I"ll assume by absolute truth you mean objective truth.

IE something that is true no matter what the circumstance. Some people would say '1+1 = 2' is an objective truth. It is always true no matter what.
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
Quote by The Madcap

So that something is true without a shadow of a doubt?

It can exist in ones perception, they might believe something to be true with no doubts, but that might not be the case under someone elses perception.

My walls are green, I believe that to be true with no doubt, but do you think they're green? Maybe not.
Well, if you're going to use absoloute truth with factual information, then yes, I do believe it.

For example, if I were to say, "We live on a planet called Earth." That would be absoloute truth. There isn't anything false about it. We are clearly living, are clearly on a planet, and we have clearly named that planet "Earth."

However, when you turn it to basic statements and comments, it's different. In that case, I don't think there is such a thing as absoloute truth. I don't think it's possible for the human mind to actual commit to one opinion or matter entirely.
The.
Quote by fob12
Let me see if I can help you out.

This is by definition of what he's trying to say, not what I think.

Truth: "I got into a car accident"
Absolute Truth: "I ran a red light, hit another car and got into a car accident"

That what you mean? Absolute meaning FULL entire truth?
No...

I suppose I'm asking if there's anything that can 100% truly be proven. Not 99.999999999% chance, but 100%.
the absolute truth is that this thread tried too hard to be philosophical.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Quote by freedoms_stain
So that something is true without a shadow of a doubt?

It can exist in ones perception, they might believe something to be true with no doubts, but that might not be the case under someone elses perception.

My walls are green, I believe that to be true with no doubt, but do you think they're green? Maybe not.
Yes, that's more what I was getting at.
Yes. If you're telling the truth, you're telling the truth. If you're lieing a little bit, you're still lieing, and that's not the truth. Is this what you mean?
I had a wank this morning. 100% guarantee that this statement is true.
Quote by The Madcap
No...

I suppose I'm asking if there's anything that can 100% truly be proven. Not 99.999999999% chance, but 100%.

Then no, I don't. It would be a truth to your own perspective, which in some cases might be a lie in reality, but it's only real truth (or absolute truth), if it's a fact that no matter what happens, won't change that.
Quote by Kivarenn82

Liar. Truth is such an important part in epistemology.

1 + 1 = 2.

This is an a priori truth as it will always be true, before I apply it to any scenario or sequence. It will always be right, no matter in what context.

That's an absolute truth, therefore, absolute truth exists.
Quote by IHATECHILDREN
Well, if you're going to use absoloute truth with factual information, then yes, I do believe it.

For example, if I were to say, "We live on a planet called Earth." That would be absoloute truth. There isn't anything false about it. We are clearly living, are clearly on a planet, and we have clearly named that planet "Earth."

However, when you turn it to basic statements and comments, it's different. In that case, I don't think there is such a thing as absoloute truth. I don't think it's possible for the human mind to actual commit to one opinion or matter entirely.
To you the planet is called Earth, I might want to call it Terra or Gaia.

That would make "We live on a planet called Earth." only a partial truth, because it has other names too.
Quote by Craigo

1 + 1 = 2.

This is an a priori truth as it will always be true, before I apply it to any scenario or sequence. It will always be right, no matter in what context.

I never said that absolute truth does not exist.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Quote by Kivarenn82
I never said that absolute truth does not exist.

It appears you lack the ability to select relevant data in context. Allow me to make this easier for you;

Quote by freedoms_stain
To you the planet is called Earth, I might want to call it Terra or Gaia.

That would make "We live on a planet called Earth." only a partial truth, because it has other names too.

Ok, then, let's simplify it...

"We live on a planet."

Absoloute truth, right?
The.
Quote by IHATECHILDREN

"We live on a planet."

Absoloute truth, right?
Some people might go as far as to argue the existance of a planet.
Quote by IHATECHILDREN

"We live on a planet."

Absoloute truth, right?

In order that to be true, all our knowledge on astro physics and all sorts are in order to be true. Some of that can be doubted, so it's not an absolute truth.

Sticking with fundamental science and mathematical principles are the way to go.
Quote by Craigo

1 + 1 = 2.

But the most important part of a number is the title it has, wether that is 1, 3 or 100. The number signifies something

like 3,it signifies 1 1 and 1. If 1 + 1 could signify something other than what it does, which is theoretically feasible, then it would be different.

because the name signifies something we empirically observe, 'one' thing combining with another identifiable thing to become 'two' things.

Numbers are just a way of identifying that which we observe and without the name, what are they? are they still true?

Knowing what we know we can change any number like... 2 could become 1 and it would still be true, I would assume you would say, but if that's the case then we're left with something 'behind' the name and number which is what makes it 'true'. That seems to be our empircal ovbservations of things being existent in a state of 'one' and combining into a state of 'two'.

To try and be more coherent

If we can change the name without it changing the meaning then doesn't it stand to reason that it's not the name that gives it its meaning, so it must be something behind the number? I think that must be our observations of the world. And if it is an empirical observation, can it ever be absolute truth?

Thats' my rumination for the day.
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
Quote by IHATECHILDREN

"We live on a planet."

Absoloute truth, right?

No. You had it right the first time, because Earth is the official name for this planet. That's not subjective. If someone wants to call Earth something else, then it's their own perspective, but it's called Earth. That is the truth.

I got the definition for absolute truth right here: Absolute truth is anything that is not subjective.

Anyone can change anything they want in their own view, but they cannot change reality as a whole, only their own.
I still think it's a question of perception.

I believe we live on "a planet" but do people who live in remote tribes deep in the jungle or wherever who haven't been exposed to western science believe in the concept of a planet?

Pratchetts disc sitting on the shoulders of four elephants standing on the back of a giant space turtle might sound more realistic to some.
Quote by Craigo
In order that to be true, all our knowledge on astro physics and all sorts are in order to be true. Some of that can be doubted, so it's not an absolute truth.

Sticking with fundamental science and mathematical principles are the way to go.

Yeah, but the truth of science is personally subjective.

The existance of a surface we live on, or the fact we are "alive" is not.
The.
Quote by The Madcap
What do you guys think about, in regard to the subject, Descartes' statement "I think, therefore I am"?

Self evident truth, I cannot disagree with it.

To go with his work in Mediation things;

'So what am I? ... I am a thinking thing as long as I am thinking'

Something has to produce those doubts, so 'ergo sum, ergo existso (sp?)'
Page 1 of 3