i as wondering if there were any good scales i should learn and also some tutorials on the major and minor scales. peace
2 things
1 learn to spell first (not being a jerk just honest, when you dont spell good people will make fun of you)
2 look under the scales section in the lesson area also in the beginners section look at learning music theory the beginning, it is very helpful, also try to learn minor penatonic as it has the least amount of placements that one needs to know, good luck at learning scale btw

now i feel bad and like a hypocrite (i think it's spelled like that) since ihad to edit to fix my spelling
http://www.justinguitar.com/en/SC-000-Scales.php

Great website for beginners stuff. I personally started to learn the minor pentatonic scale first, only because a friend taught me it a day after i started playing guitar. minor pentatonic is a good one to start on as its the simplest to memorise, but iv heard most people start on major scale to really get the feel of scales. learn position 1 of any scale first and play along to a metronome, get that to a decent speed before moving onto to any other positions.
ok first of all i can spell itsjust im to lazy and i dont care if i get made fun of on a website its not like ill ever see you guys in real life and thanks i will look in the begginers section for the very first time ever since i started playing a year ago.
Quote by guitarnoob243
ok first of all i can spell itsjust im to lazy and i dont care if i get made fun of on a website its not like ill ever see you guys in real life and thanks i will look in the begginers section for the very first time ever since i started playing a year ago.

true but if you spell better people are more likely to respond to your question, also i dint mean you were a beginner but you asked about sacles and that lesson is one of the best lessons on scales on the site.
Wow, don't learn barre chords before you learn scales. Don't know what that guy was smoking.

Few options, you have. Either go with the classic A Minor + C Major combo, learn the C Major scale and the A Minor Pentatonic, or just learn the C Major scale.

I prefer you go with the latter because the lack of accidentals will encourage you to explore the theory side of things and memorize the notes. Plus the Minor Pentatonic will have you playing solos quicker (if that's what you wanna do). It practically plays itself, all you have to do is memorize the shape (start with one position for now) and play around with it enough. Licks will practically jump out of the strings and slap you across the mouth.

Gonna have to pull the "do as I say, not as I do" shtick and suggest you go with A Minor/C Major though.
Spelling would help I had this idea you were looking for the best scales to beg for money.
Quote by stevolarn
http://www.justinguitar.com/en/SC-000-Scales.php

Great website for beginners stuff. I personally started to learn the minor pentatonic scale first, only because a friend taught me it a day after i started playing guitar. minor pentatonic is a good one to start on as its the simplest to memorise, but iv heard most people start on major scale to really get the feel of scales. learn position 1 of any scale first and play along to a metronome, get that to a decent speed before moving onto to any other positions.

That's not what scales are about at all - they're nothing to do with speed. Of course you can use them as warmups or picking exercises if you want, but that isn't what they're for and it certainly isn't how you should learn them.

TS, start with the major scale, it's the reference point for all western music theory - you'll need to learn the notes on the fretboard first if you want to make any sense of it though.

Quote by chitowncowboy
Wow, don't learn barre chords before you learn scales. Don't know what that guy was smoking...

He was smoking a big old bag of spot on - he's absolutely right. Barre chords are a far easier concept and they're also the easiest way to get yourself moving around a fretboard. They also get you used to the concept of sticking in a single position and they teach you how to barre which is a core skill for playing lead parts. Learning barre chords first means that you already have a framework to construct scales around which makes them easier to learn, and it also means you're reinforcing the relationship between the scales and the chords you can form from it. Chords and scales are the same thing really, they're just presented differently...understanding that is one of the secrets to understanding the fretboard and moving around freely.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at May 18, 2008,
Quote by steven seagull
That's not what scales are about at all - they're nothing to do with speed. Of course you can use them as warmups or picking exercises if you want, but that isn't what they're for and it certainly isn't how you should learn them.

TS, start with the major scale, it's the reference point for all western music theory - you'll need to learn the notes on the fretboard first if you want to make any sense of it though.

I was just saying to learn the minor pentatonic to get used to what a scale feels like on the fretboard. i used to think that scales were only there for exercising and soloing but now that iv delved into the theory of scales a bit more, i now understand the importance of them in terms of music. But scales are a highly important part of guitar playing and can be used in many different ways
"BEGING"

well, sad music, like your minors, make people feel sorry for you... they pay better when thy have pitty, they think they're better then you, so they make themselves feel good by throwing money at you...

You should start with Pentatonics

hope i helped
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson Explorer New Century
Gibson RD Artist
Fender American Standard Telecaster

Amps:

Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM800 2203 - 1960A

Pedals:

Crybaby 535Q