Fixin' to buy my 1st electric guitar. Have a martin acoustic and have been playing for several years, mostly bluegrass and gospel, but i want to learn to play blues. thinking about a tex-mex strat or highway 1 strat. any advice?
Last edited by rnflightmedic at May 16, 2008,
for blues i would definatly look into a les paul, a strat isnt a bad idea either, but blues guitar might sound better out of an lp
i like the hss setup. the highway 1 is at the top end of the price range for me because i want a good amp to play thru. i'm just wonderin' if the extra 350 bucks is worth the difference. as for the lp, i think they're out of my price range.
Quote by rnflightmedic
i like the hss setup. the highway 1 is at the top end of the price range for me because i want a good amp to play thru. i'm just wonderin' if the extra 350 bucks is worth the difference. as for the lp, i think they're out of my price range.

+1 smart move on keeping budget for amp....but we won't get into that here. well, ok maybe. if you have a set budget for guitar and amp then i would have to say MIM HSS. obviously i'm biased. this will open a whole can of worms with the MIA purists and H1 owners too - so i gotta say - listen to them too because they will have good points as well.

if you can get a good guitar and a BETTER amp, than i say focus on my opinion.

if you are more concerned with the guitar, quality, resale value, etc - then spend more on the guitar. there is ton's of stuff on MIM vs MIA so Search more. you also really need to go play both if you can....can you do that? Also, i'm not exactly sure where the H1s are made. the MIMs to be honest are somewhat hit and miss so play before you buy if you can...anytime really that is.

;
i'm gonna go to a guitar center and play every 1 in my price range before i buy. also does anyone know much about the prs se customs?
Why strat...just wonderin...I hate strats...but if you like it, go for it...MIM HSS seems like your best bet...
This ends now, eat the goddamn beans!
i'm not set on the strat. i've played a couple and liked the feel and cleanness of it. but i also like the punch of the humbucker. but i am open to any brand. i want something that feels right, but also sounds good. looks are last on the list.
With somewhat similar tastes, I decided on the Taylor T5. Might not fit your budget or tastes, but since you don't specify these very closely, it might be worth a try.

Failing that, the Ovation VXT is one hell of a bargain at the price. Can't beat it for jazz and blues, and it can do some decent rock as well.
Quote by rnflightmedic
i'm not set on the strat. i've played a couple and liked the feel and cleanness of it. but i also like the punch of the humbucker. but i am open to any brand. i want something that feels right, but also sounds good. looks are last on the list.

Don't know your "views" on Ibanez, but maybe HSH (I THINK), strat design if u like the feel, and about $500 which leaaves $400 for a good amp...just try it first b/c I have tried some Ibanez's with some ****ty-ass necks, and some that felt amazing.
This ends now, eat the goddamn beans!
Last edited by Skynyrd890 at May 17, 2008,
If you want to do a lot of blues style string bending be aware that the smaller fingerboard radius of Fender (7-1/2" or 9") causes fretting out unless the action is fairly high! Blues Strat masters like Buddy Guy & Stevie Ray have high action on their guitars according to Dan Erlewine who's checked them out personally. This is why the larger radius of Gibson (12") fingerboards are often better suited for this if lower action is desired.