Right now I have a great guitar and a terrible amp. I'm looking for a good combo around $400 to buy.

The obvious answer here would be to go all tube. However, lemme say why I'm leaning towards the modelling amp. The amps in question are:

Peavey Valveking 112 Combo
Vox AD50VT Combo

Peavey:

Pros
All tube, great tone.

Cons
Not many effects

Vox:

Pros
Adjustable wattage, so it can sound good without cranking the amp to a loud volume
Plenty of built in effects

Cons
Large and bulky
Not all tube

Guitar is an ESP LTD EC-1000 VHB with Duncan JB and '59 pickups. I'm mostly a bedroom player, and I live in a quiet neighborhood where most of the neighbors are retired old people. I do however want it to be able to handle some playing with a band. I don't have any pedals and don't plan on getting any in the near future (except, if budget allows, a wah pedal), so built in effects are a huge plus. I know that the Peavey will probably sound better, but most of the time I'm going to be playing for myself only and I need it to be fairly quiet.

Which amp should I get? I'm leaning towards the Vox right now, but if the Peavey is really a lot better, I might just go with it instead.

P.S. Before anyone tells me to try out both of the amps, let it be known that I live in the middle of nowhere and have no real guitar stores around me.
Mmmm, coffee

Quote by the_poison125
Fear your ass...

Quote by hazzmatazz
Quote by Våd Hamster
Sharing is caring. *holds out hands*
*inserts penis?*
Rarely will you find a quality tube amp with more effects than a reverb and sometimes a phaser.
i've been more than happy with my vox, but i'm hunting for an all tube amp after 2 years of it. although, i still love the tone i get from it.
i like the Vox you listed. i almost bought one.

but in the end, for $400, i think i got a lot of amp with teh Valveking.

if you played it once in a store, and i realize you can't, against the Vox the Vox will probably sound better. it take time to break in and adjust the VK. i'm not saying it is the greatest amp since the invention of Tubes but it is good for $400. i'll leave it at that, except to say that i REALLY like that tube pur sound and the way it affects my ears. you can hear it in your soul better imo.
effects come later. just my .02
;
Quote by MortifiedLizard
Rarely will you find a quality tube amp with more effects than a reverb and sometimes a phaser.

Hughes and Kettner Switchblade has just aboutr everything but generally its hard to find other effects in a tube amp. I've never seen phaser in amps. Tremelo and vibrato was common in the tweed stuff.]

Anyway, I would go with the vox because ur playin in your bedroom. I don't like the valve king very much so vox is prolly ur best bet for what you need.
80's Fender Jazzmaster
1976 Gibson L6s
Epiphone sheraton
Late 60's Univox High Flyer Custom Deluxe
Vintage fendr twin
Fuzz Face
Zakk Wylde Wah
I don't believe the adjustable wattage will be a good thing on a solid state amp. The idea behind adjustable wattage is that in a tube amp, you shut off some tubes so that the remaining tubes will overdrive at lower total output. In a modeling amp, there are no tubes to overdrive, you're just reducing headroom, which you can't get enough of with solid state.
Well, the Vox does have one tube...
Mmmm, coffee

Quote by the_poison125
Fear your ass...

Quote by hazzmatazz
Quote by Våd Hamster
*inserts penis?*
Ask and you shall receive... VK pros and cons

Valveking
Treble: Dont take it past 5 (harsh and muddy doesnt clean up)
Middle: Dont take it past 8 (harsh and muddy doesnt clean up)
Bass: Use as normal
Presence:Use as normal
Resonance:Use as normal
Texture knob:Clockwise Tight thrash tone, Counter Clockwise Loose and Modern but a bit muddy
Gain: Dont take past 7-8 or it will get muddy
Volume Button: In or out its prefrence
Gain Button: In adds big boost of gain and highs.. Prefrence as well.

Loves OD pedals, best so far has been the Bad Monkey
Settings Level 10 Gain 0

Needs: Tube and speakers replaced. Loves V30 speakers and JJ's for the preamps if you want a brighter tone and Tung Sols for a Darker tone.

Other issues, has a harsh freq at about 2k-4k but can be taken away with a EQ pedal.

Amp is good for Modern/Thrash tone, sounds like a mix of a mesa and marshall with the JJ's but a bit muddier which is to be expected its a 500 dollar tube amp.

Great for Metallica and can get as heavy as lamb of god. Also good for blues and classic rock but it will have a modern touch to it.

Also sounds decent at low volume of atleast 1.5-4 but gets better as you go up. Below 1.5 it's really hollow and muddy.
Quote by hendrix4934
Hughes and Kettner Switchblade has just aboutr everything but generally its hard to find other effects in a tube amp. I've never seen phaser in amps. Tremelo and vibrato was common in the tweed stuff.]

Anyway, I would go with the vox because ur playin in your bedroom. I don't like the valve king very much so vox is prolly ur best bet for what you need.

As I said...rarely. Hughs and Kettner is essentially a tube modeling amp. Of course it's going to have effects.

fyi, a lot of '80s tube combos had phaser and reverb.
the ad50 is by no means a terrible amp, but you can tweak the vk and make it so much better than it is

the vk is also quite versatile
if you love bbe products join the "i heart bbe" group. kthnx (click link below)
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/ilovebbe/

Quote by Dempsey68
get a cheap marshall... my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps.
valveking since it has better tone. you can always get more pedals, but you cannot make the vox tone as good as a true valve amp...
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground
If you like effects so much, why are you so against pedals? You could get something fairly cheap used (like a Peavey Classic 30) depending on your genres, of course, and have some money left over for a quality pedal. A nice tube amp now, paired with saving up for quality effects pedals will eventually result in a much better tone than a modeling amp with just decent tone and decent effects.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Do you gig or play in a band?

If so, VK. If not, Vox.
Heads will roll. Throats will be slit. Blood will flow like springs of water.
you should look on trading posts and craigslist for an old musicman 2x12 or 2x10, things are badass and people get rid of them for about that much.
Thanks for the ideas, guys. Now I'm really torn. Perhaps I could get a used tube amp and then buy some pedals like some of you recommended. If that's the case, what pedals should I get for the basics?

EDIT: Now that I'm all confused, feel free to recommend any amps that I could find new or used in the $400 pricerange.
Mmmm, coffee

Quote by the_poison125
Fear your ass...

Quote by hazzmatazz
Quote by Våd Hamster
*inserts penis?*
What are you playing? I didn't read the whole thing so maybe you said so if so oh well.

I recomend yet again

PEAVEY XXX 40 WATT COMBO
The reason why I want the Vox is because I love to screw around with effects and I like the adjustible wattage. I know you're all saying "ZOMG buy pedals!", but I really can't justify spending $100-200 dollars each for a bunch of pedals that I'm screwing around with, I'd rather have a large number of ok effects than one or two great effects.
Mmmm, coffee

Quote by the_poison125
Fear your ass...

Quote by hazzmatazz
Quote by Våd Hamster
*inserts penis?*
Definitely a Peavey Classic 30. You can find those used for $400. And sometimes at GC you can get them for $400 new if you actually go to their stores.

Edit: You could just get a used multi effects processor. They aren't really that expensive.

I was in your shoes a few years ago. I went with the Vox. It was cool for a while, then I started to wish I had real tube tone. The fancy effects weren't really reason enough to keep it, and honestly, I didn't use half of them.

What music do you play anyway?
Last edited by lemonsquares42 at May 18, 2008,
I play a wide variety of rock, some jazz, and some metal. How much would a good multieffect pedal cost me?
Mmmm, coffee

Quote by the_poison125
Fear your ass...

Quote by hazzmatazz
Quote by Våd Hamster
*inserts penis?*
Well i own a GT-8 and run it straight through my tube amp when i want effects or distortion. I love my Blues Junionr the Clean Fender All tube Tone is amazing and although it may be too loud it's worth it, but i gig from time to time so i kindof need it. Plus depending on the situation i have just turned up with the GT-8 and ran two different amp models through the PA in stereo. It was rather epic!

The GT-8 can sound amazing if you have patience with it.

I haven't really helped have i?
'05 Fender Speed Shop So-Cal Stratocaster
'95 Squier Standard Strat

OLP MM1
Washburn X200v Pro

Tanglewood TW145-SC
Yamaha C40

Orange Dark Terror + PPC212
Jet City JCA20H + JCA24S
A key factor when deciding on an amp for me is the volume. It can't be too loud. It should sound good at low volumes, but still have enough power to play in a band.
Mmmm, coffee

Quote by the_poison125
Fear your ass...

Quote by hazzmatazz
Quote by Våd Hamster
*inserts penis?*
well, the Digitech RP250 is $150 new.

i would say it is in the middle somewhere in cool factor. not cheap. not high-end.

might be tough with Valveking as low levels but i can get some stuff out at midnight without waking up the family.

you can also plug headphones and USB into it too.

i don't think it would work well with a Valvetronix or similar modeling amp. it would get knarley.

;
Will the DigiTech actually have good effects, though?
Mmmm, coffee

Quote by the_poison125
Fear your ass...

Quote by hazzmatazz
Quote by Våd Hamster
*inserts penis?*