what's the difference between a real and fake musician?
My Music Videos

Guitars:
Breedlove Revival Series OM
Crosby Fingerstyle Model
Voyage-Air VAOM-06
Fender Stratocaster (American)
Fender Nashville Deluxe Tele
getting lessons can only make you a better player, being self-taught you can pick up bad habits that inhibit your playing. but being self-taught you can learn the things you want to learn and at your own pace. these days being self-taught is going on youtube and looking up guitar lessons. not in the old days when you used to go to the library and borrow books, or buy guitar magazines and learn the songs and pick up techniques that way.
Quote by coolstoryangus
Pffffffft schematics

Although i guess the OP will have to get used to reading them if he's going to buy a bugera..
Quote by gregs1020

along with fire escape routes...

Quote by mjkshreds
There is this guy that is trying to persuade me that a real musician is shelf taught, I disagree because most musicians will have to take lessons at some point especially if they go to college for music. What is ur opinion?

the guy is incorrect.

being a real musician has nothing to do with your method of learning, only the result.
Here's the thing. If you're going to teach yourself how to play an instrument, then you should get a music book, or at least something that will teach you.

When I got a guitar my parents forced me to take lessons (I didn't want to), but now I'm glad they made me. I still take them. I'm a much better player than my friends. None of them know any music theory and they all have developed bad habits because nobody was there to guide them in the right direction.

To me, a musician is someone who has vast knowledge in music, not someone who just has an instrument and can play decently.
Last edited by GuitarJunkie00 at May 16, 2008,
Quote by GuitarMunky
the guy is incorrect.

being a real musician has nothing to do with your method of learning, only the result.

well said sir.

also there is no such thing as a "real musician" or a "fake musician", we are all musicians.
Quote by coolstoryangus
Pffffffft schematics

Although i guess the OP will have to get used to reading them if he's going to buy a bugera..
Quote by gregs1020

Quote by GuitarMunky
the guy is incorrect.

GuitarMunky is correct

Think of music as a languge that translates your feelings
Im really tired of guitarists frowning apon other guitarists with formal
training or having a real strong knowledge of theory. In most other
areas of life we separate logic from emotion. Well music is different.
We take everything we learn and use them as tools to express ourselves.
Everything you learn as an artist will increase your vocabulary.
Your music is your voice. A musician that has overlooked learning anywhere
whether it be theoretical..or skill based...has turned down an opportunity
to expand their compositional vocabulary....They can improvise for 30 mins
and it all sounds the same..They are saying the same old thing over and
over...due to limited ways to express themself.
I bet Charlie Brown's teacher's name was Mrs.Hammett
Last edited by Washburnd Fretz at May 16, 2008,
Quote by highwaysalmon
what's the difference between a real and fake musician?
Whether that ass-hat thinks he is good or not.

Alot of guys think that just because guitarists like jimi hendrix, slash and so on never flaunted the fact they knew theory and were taught (even though they did), and that these guys liked them; but guitarist who play genres that people generally associate with theory and formal training (jazz, classical, prog metal so on), and that these judgmental people dont like those genre, they conclude that to play 'good' you need to know as little theory as possible. Sorry about the long sentence.

This is bullshit, as theory is just musical experience (in words) and terminology. So every guitarist knows theory, with or without being taught. And no genre on this planet used more or less theory than another genre, you can play both jazz and classical without being formally taught.
unless of course you play punk, then your aim is to sound as **** as possible.....

i cope **** at my school, why? because i want to learn about my instrument, i want to make a career out of playing guitar. so when i get told "theory is useless garbage" i tell them "well playing Metallica covers ain't gonna earn you any money kid....". i am so glad that these kids are forced to learn theory in music class. it opens there eyes to how naive they really are.
Quote by coolstoryangus
Pffffffft schematics

Quote by gregs1020

My opinion?

A musician is more then just a [random instrument] player.

A musician is someone who has, or at least desires knowledge about what on earth he is
doing.

A musician can also use something incapable of expression (sound) to express them self, and actually come across credible.

Since the study of music is a journey, I also believe the quality of playing isn't al that important. Just look at my previous point. Sometimes someone struggling to play a beautiful ballad comes across more credible then someone that can play an extremely fast hax0rz shredding solo.

And since it is a language, your ability of "speech" will come with the experience.

Peace
Quote by pandora_grunt
My opinion?

A musician is more then just a [random instrument] player.

A musician is someone who has, or at least desires knowledge about what on earth he is
doing.

A musician can also use something incapable of expression (sound) to express them self, and actually come across credible.

Since the study of music is a journey, I also believe the quality of playing isn't al that important. Just look at my previous point. Sometimes someone struggling to play a beautiful ballad comes across more credible then someone that can play an extremely fast hax0rz shredding solo.

And since it is a language, your ability of "speech" will come with the experience.

Peace
Musicianship is very subjective. Some people say its anyone that performs to other people, I say its anyone that cares about how their music sounds (as opposed to the money/fame/women/drugs so on), I've heard other people say being a musician just means you work with music (as in you dont even have to play a musical instrument).
I wouldn't want to be taught by a shelf

Anyway, Satriani is self taught I believe

I just really wanted the cheap joke line in here