Ok, I have been playing guitar for 7 years and I am decent, but no where near the best. One thing that I have not been able to overcome so well is how to pick quickly. I press my wrist agianst the guitar and it still does not work. My strings seem to bounce to much when I try to pick em quickly. I have tried going up to medium strings, but that does not seem to work. I know its not my picking style because I managed to pick pretty quickly on a bass guitar due to the tighter strings. Please help.
A) get a metronome
B) learn alternate picking
C) ??????
D) profit!!!!
Quote by coolstoryangus
Pffffffft schematics

Although i guess the OP will have to get used to reading them if he's going to buy a bugera..
Quote by gregs1020

along with fire escape routes...

Not to sound like a noob or anything like that...but what is a metronome and what is alternate picking? I also think I might need a new guitar as this one is just a cheap 100 dollar fender knockoff.
aradine, i love your quote. lmao. oh, and uh, gothslayer, you just gotta keep practicing at it i suppose, just like any other technique.
...a metronome helps you keep time. Alternate picking is plucking up and down, instead of regular down movements... dumb*ss reward of the day to gothslayer anybody?
alternate picking is when you pick down then instead of doing another downstroke do an upstroke, so instead of picking down, down, down, down pick down, up, down, up. it's more economical. picking with only downstrokes is like trying to run using only one leg. you could do it but you could go alot faster if you used both.

a metronome is a machine with a stick attached (best explanation i could think of), the stick rocks back and forth, at its farthest point left or right it will make a clicking sound. metronomes are used to keep in time with a song. each click equals one bpm (beat per minute).
Quote by coolstoryangus
Pffffffft schematics

Although i guess the OP will have to get used to reading them if he's going to buy a bugera..
Quote by gregs1020

Quote by deknisely
...a metronome helps you keep time. Alternate picking is plucking up and down, instead of regular down movements... dumb*ss reward of the day to gothslayer anybody?

Hey now man, I have not heard of those before, as my guitar teacher has not told me of any of those things before.
not every guitarist trys to learn to shred at 6 months of playing deknisey. some don't learn it at all or any of the techniques asscoiated with it.
Quote by coolstoryangus
Pffffffft schematics

Quote by gregs1020

Quote by aradine
not every guitarist trys to learn to shred at 6 months of playing deknisey. some don't learn it at all or any of the techniques asscoiated with it.

Yea, I have been playing guitar for around 7 years now and I am just starting to pick faster. Metal has to be one of the hardest genres for me to play. One of the main problems I seem to be having would be the down and up picking. I can do it just fine, but I seem to be catching the string alot when I try. Also the string seems to move way to much when I pick up speed. Do you think that getting some heavier strings would help?
Firstly, way to be an asshole deknisley, it's so encouraging for people to listen to remarks like that...Anyway, thought I'd drop a link for a free metronome, it's decent:
http://www.metronomeonline.com/
That can save you $20 maybe =D.
Quote by gothslayer
I know its not my picking style because I managed to pick pretty quickly on a bass guitar due to the tighter strings.

Isn't it? I'm pretty sure it's not the strings. If you're willing to look for problems
where they exist and change them, you'll likely get further. Everything
you've posted up to this point indicates you should look at how you're picking.
Haven't even *heard* of a metronome AND you have a teacher after 7 years
of playing (not to mention some uncertainty about alternate picking)!? WOW.
it's all about practice; and it'd be hard to blame your guitar or strings, because of the fact that i have seen people shred on cheap fender squire type guitars really well. alternate picking is the only way, that was one of the first things my old guitar teacher taught me. he never told me about a metronome though, i discovered that on my own.

in a word: practice
Quote by will0mon
Firstly, way to be an asshole deknisley

He wasn't. He just broke it down into the simplest correct answer possible. There's no need for this.

TS: If you've played for 7 years and aren't familiar with a metronome or with alternate picking, the problem is likely in your practice. Buy a metronome and use it, yes, but consider completely revamping your practice habits as well.