Ok guys, I thought I'd start this because there is a bunch of recurring misinformation floating round UG and I figure if we can sort it all into one place (although it is subjective, yes, but argue well, not just "you're wrong" if you can't back it up, don't speak). Anyone with experienc and knowledege, help out the newbies by calrifying things you notice constantly mis-reprented here.

Ok first: After a post a few weeks ago..Audio and MIDI are not the same, audio is sound waves converted to electrical impulses then sent through cables etc., MIDI is data, there's no sound there, all it does is say stuff like what not to play, what patch to change to, how long to play the note for etc.

I hope this catches on!
Gats:
Fender US Vintage 70's Strat, Modded Epi LP, Ibanez RBM-1
Amp:
Hughes and Kettner Edition Tube 20
Pedals:
Catalinbread Semaphore, Red WitchPhaser, Line 6 FM-4, Ibanez SM-9, Ibanez SD-9, Morely Bad Horsie, TC Electronic Nova Delay
Contrary to popular belief, you don't need a half (or full) stack to be loud, a combo can do it fine.

Tubes are NOT ALWAYS better than solid states (though several are).

Despite being the best selling amp on musiciansfriend, an MG halfstack is not a good idea.
Ibanez Xiphos XPT700
Laney VH100R
Epi Les Paul (SH-1 '59 neck, SH-11 custom custom bridge)
this type of thread isnt going to work because it's not specific enough.

for example, if someone randomly writes, "n00bs, stay away from mgs."
it will get lost in the thread, so it's not helping a new guy flipping thru.

Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by jj1565
this type of thread isnt going to work because it's not specific enough.

for example, if someone randomly writes, "n00bs, stay away from mgs."
it will get lost in the thread, so it's not helping a new guy flipping thru.

they wont have to flip for that one, i said it in the second post
Ibanez Xiphos XPT700
Laney VH100R
Epi Les Paul (SH-1 '59 neck, SH-11 custom custom bridge)
good point...perhaps the mods could treat this thread more harshly than others? if any form of petty brand arguing breaks out then the post is deleted straight away?
Gats:
Amp:
Pedals:
Catalinbread Semaphore, Red WitchPhaser, Line 6 FM-4, Ibanez SM-9, Ibanez SD-9, Morely Bad Horsie, TC Electronic Nova Delay
oh and here's another one....by adding an extra speaker to your rig, you only gain 6 dB on average of gain per extra speaker...which could be worth it, but could also not be
Gats:
Amp:
Pedals:
^no, you dont get it.

info is in the stickies. the great unread threads.

"n00bs" make threads, it's what they do. if they want a new amp, or a cab, or a multi effect box, they arent going to find this thread and flip thru it to see if they are on track.

so that leaves, normal posters arguing over tube vs ss. and those threads are frowned upon.

make the thread less random.

or if you have a tip, ask to have it added to the stickies.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Why not put the good ones in the first post? If enough good information is accumulated then it'd be worth a sticky.

edit: nevermind...
yeah...the idea for this is from a thread on gearslutz where just the small things you don't know you can look and just learn something random...so perhaps it could become deserving of a sticky if it gets off the ground? A random-fact based thread, rather than something organised, just a place to learn something new that could inspire more investigation perhaps
Gats:
Amp:
Pedals:
Quote by clap_clap_clap
oh and here's another one....by adding an extra speaker to your rig, you only gain 6 dB on average of gain per extra speaker...which could be worth it, but could also not be

I think it's more like 3dB for every doubling of speaker surface area, assuming a constant distance of like 3 feet, dead on in front of the cab. That only works up until like 4 speakers though, at which point you start running into phase cancellation, and the power delivered has to meet the minimum required to to drive each speaker.

and JJ is right, these threads just don't work unfortunately. All the information is in the stickies, which obviously never get read.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Quote by clap_clap_clap
yeah...the idea for this is from a thread on gearslutz where just the small things you don't know you can look and just learn something random...so perhaps it could become deserving of a sticky if it gets off the ground? A random-fact based thread, rather than something organised, just a place to learn something new that could inspire more investigation perhaps

well,...

this is not gearslutz or whatever and i'm surprised you even mentioned another guitar forum here.

my only suggestion would be to read the Rules, Stickies, and info you find after entering key words in the Search Box.

by doing this, and using a pen and paper to write things down, ppl can start a thread more preparred and showing that they've done some homework first.

imo

;
Spider III's aren't the worst amps ever made...

And it's called "Squier". Not Squire. Not Fender Squire. Squire by Fender. Gosh darn it.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
well,...

this is not gearslutz or whatever and i'm surprised you even mentioned another guitar forum here.

my only suggestion would be to read the Rules, Stickies, and info you find after entering key words in the Search Box.

by doing this, and using a pen and paper to write things down, ppl can start a thread more preparred and showing that they've done some homework first.

imo

;

Hmmmmm............ gearslutz is a recording forum, not a guitar forum...what's wrong with mentioning another forum, especially when it's not a direct competitor, it's nowhere in the terms and conditions, i wasn't advertising? they're all there for the same point, to aprovide a place for guitar knowledge...

now..i wasn't looking for your suggestions, you have nothing constructive to contribute, so why bother? I have checked this sitckies and thought a well moderated repository for random information would be a good place for people to just stumble upon something they didn't know before

don't be such a dick...
Gats:
Amp:
Pedals:
Quote by Say Ocean
Rectifiers are not complete ****, and mark IV's aren't the end all amp

YES!

The Boss NS-2 is not complete crap, and ISP decimator pedals are not that great!

Combo amps are usually never better other than for compactness, having a sealed or ported speaker box can have a huge effect on tone... and they usually sound way better than a open back combo.
Well Enough Alone
Quote by guitardude11
YES!

The Boss NS-2 is not complete crap, and ISP decimator pedals are not that great!

Combo amps are usually never better other than for compactness, having a sealed or ported speaker box can have a huge effect on tone... and they usually sound way better than a open back combo.

However, a lot of combos these days are atl east partially closed, and closing the back of a combo is a very simple modification if you have a few basic woodworking tools and skills.
Dunlop Straps™
The best sounding straps on the market

Quote by steven seagull
Justice is this, justice is that...justice is 9 minutes long and recorded in a cupboard full of fluffy pillows
Never buy an amp just because some famous artist "endorses" it. Chances are, they were just paid a lot to be put in an ad for it, and would otherwise never touch the amp.

Line 6 DOES make some top notch products, it's just that the Spider III isn't one of them.

Good musicianship =/= technical skill, and technical skill =/= good musicianship. But both are good things to have.

Being specific is cool. Saying "Marshall stacks are amazing" isn't.

Nobody really needs a full stack, and most people don't even need a half stack.

Unless you're Eric Johnson, don't worry about insignificant things that affect your tone on a microscopic scale.

Ishibashi isn't the only way to import a Japanese guitar into the states, and is by no means the cheapest.

Having an insanely expensive Monster cable won't improve your tone.

An amazing $3000 guitar through a $300 practice amp is a disgrace.

No kind of pedal can make your MG or Spider sound any better (something I had to learn the hard way). In fact, most of them will just make it sound worse.

Believe it or not, Crate does make some great amps.

An expensive Epiphone is better than a cheap Gibson.

Running through a single scale really really fast isn't cool. It's just annoying.

Metal requires skill. Blues requires skill. Jazz requires skill. No single style of playing is better than another.

Make sure you have actually had experience with a particular instrument or piece of equipment before bashing on it just because everyone else does.

Yes, there ARE some really awesome solid states out there. Hence Randall, Roland, Tech 21, etc.

B.C. Rich does make some quality guitars. The Bronze series just isn't an example of that.

Ibanez isn't the end all be all of metal guitars.

Jackson isn't the end all be all of metal guitars.

ESP/LTD isn't the end all be all of metal guitars.

There is no end all be all of metal guitars.

If you want a locking trem, but your current guitar doesn't have one, it's probably cheaper to buy a new guitar with one than to try to have one put on your guitar.

That's all I can think of. That was fun...
Heads will roll. Throats will be slit. Blood will flow like springs of water.
Active EMGs are not a prerequisite for distortion, and sometimes may significantly limit your tonal options.
mafropetee's post should be added to one of the stickies like it is now.
"Make my funk the P-Funk, I want my funk uncut"
Quote by jambi_mantra
James, are you God?

Fender Highway One Tele
1985 Encore 335
Takamine EG523sc
Laney VC15
Vox V847
MXR M-108
EHX Q-Tron+, Big Muff Pi, POG
MI Audio Crunch Box
Yamaha DTXplorer DrumKit
heres a few that I can think of -

Expensive gear does not make up for lack of experience.

There is no such thing as a $500 Custom Gibson.

Slash or Zak Wylde do not pay Epiphones.

Epiphone does (did) make strat style guitars.
Quote by mafropetee
Never buy an amp just because some famous artist "endorses" it. Chances are, they were just paid a lot to be put in an ad for it, and would otherwise never touch the amp.

Line 6 DOES make some top notch products, it's just that the Spider III isn't one of them.

Good musicianship =/= technical skill, and technical skill =/= good musicianship. But both are good things to have.

Being specific is cool. Saying "Marshall stacks are amazing" isn't.

Nobody really needs a full stack, and most people don't even need a half stack.

Unless you're Eric Johnson, don't worry about insignificant things that affect your tone on a microscopic scale.

Ishibashi isn't the only way to import a Japanese guitar into the states, and is by no means the cheapest.

Having an insanely expensive Monster cable won't improve your tone.

An amazing $3000 guitar through a $300 practice amp is a disgrace.

No kind of pedal can make your MG or Spider sound any better (something I had to learn the hard way). In fact, most of them will just make it sound worse.

Believe it or not, Crate does make some great amps.

An expensive Epiphone is better than a cheap Gibson.

Running through a single scale really really fast isn't cool. It's just annoying.

Metal requires skill. Blues requires skill. Jazz requires skill. No single style of playing is better than another.

Make sure you have actually had experience with a particular instrument or piece of equipment before bashing on it just because everyone else does.

Yes, there ARE some really awesome solid states out there. Hence Randall, Roland, Tech 21, etc.

B.C. Rich does make some quality guitars. The Bronze series just isn't an example of that.

Ibanez isn't the end all be all of metal guitars.

Jackson isn't the end all be all of metal guitars.

ESP/LTD isn't the end all be all of metal guitars.

There is no end all be all of metal guitars.

If you want a locking trem, but your current guitar doesn't have one, it's probably cheaper to buy a new guitar with one than to try to have one put on your guitar.

That's all I can think of. That was fun...

To almost everything on that list, apart from these. There are few disputes on a personal level from me.

I can actually audibly hear a drastic difference in tone when I use my Monster Cbales and when I use my generic ones. However, I now buy Leem Gold cables since they are just as good as Monster, more reliable and cheaper.

The only good amp Crate ever made was the Palomino. Fin

B.C. Rich guitars may be semi-decent quality (really only the high end Mockingbirds), but I hate most metal guitars (especially Ibanez excluding the SZ series) and generally, if I had an option of anything else, I would take the latter.
Quote by dannyniceboy
I consider myself to be really intelligent and I've gotten into a fight coz this kid thought it was nasty to put sour cream on enchiladas.

Quote by Minkaro
The fact that I went TOO high singing a Darkness song on Singstar

DARK RED TEAM
some info about watts:

people seem to think they need 100 or more watts to be able to gig. this is not true, unless you're playing in a REALLY loud band, with a solid state amp.

With solid state amps, you want the extra wattage to prevent the amp from going into hard-clipping as this will sound horrible, but in most cases, a 50 or 60 watt amp will do just fine for most people, since not everyone will be selling out stadiums, and even if they were, their amp would be miked anyway.

In the case of tube amps, i've worked with bands who get away with using 15 watt combos for gigs. Tube amps sound louder than solid state amps at the same volume, but this does not mean a tube watt is "bigger". wattage actually doesn't mean a lot towards how loud an amp is, most of it is clean headroom (how much power can be put through the circuitry before it starts to clip). wattage is a measurement of power consumption, not volume, not tone. I have a 30 watt tube amp, and its more than loud enough. If you're using tube amps, here's the power rating i'd recommend for certain situations:
Home use or small practices - 5 watts; seriously, those 5 watters can blow your head off in small rooms.
A band that plays at average volumes where clean headroom isn't needed - 15 watts
A band that plays at average volumes where you want clean headroom, or an obnoxiously loud band where you don't need clean headroom - 30 watts
An obnoxiously loud band where you need clean headroom - 50 watts

I must point out that in most situations, 50 watts would be overkill.

Wattage is measured in logarithms, so if you had the same amp with a switch select to run the amp at 5 watts or 50 watts, running it at 5 watts, theoretically, would only cut the volume in half. this doesn't mean you need 500 watts though, since there are other factors that affect the volume, and most 5 watters will be put in small cabinets with small speakers, whereas 50 watters will be large combos or amp heads that would be run through many speakers (number of speakers also has very little effect on the volume. apparently by doubling the number of speakers you only get a 3dB increase in volume which is nothing - don't quote me on that, i'm not sure.)
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
^brilliant, i thnk we're getting somewhere

Guitar cables are unbalanced, therefore long cable runs will degrade signal, so if you need to go far, wireless is a much better option.

The lower the capacitance of the cable, the better when using high impedence pups (ie. most passives)...http://www.harmony-central.com/articles/tips/guitar_cords/
Gats:
Amp:
Pedals:
Quote by jj1565
^no, you dont get it.

info is in the stickies. the great unread threads.

"n00bs" make threads, it's what they do. if they want a new amp, or a cab, or a multi effect box, they arent going to find this thread and flip thru it to see if they are on track.

so that leaves, normal posters arguing over tube vs ss. and those threads are frowned upon.

make the thread less random.

or if you have a tip, ask to have it added to the stickies.

+1

there's already something along these lines in the stickies. it doesn't stop stupid threads and misinformation.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Well, it doesn't look like anyone in this thread has actually read the stickies, because nearly all of the "information" posted in here is already in them.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
touche, tim.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
perhpas that's a reflection on the promotion of the sitckies then?
Gats:
Amp:
Pedals:
Quote by clap_clap_clap
perhpas that's a reflection on the promotion of the sitckies then?

Not at all; it reflects much more on how few people have actually read them, if there was some way to stop people from posting in this forum without having read the stickies first I would certainly recommend it.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
^ agreed. as far as i'm aware, there's not really any way to promote the stickies other than to "stick" them...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Blompcube
number of speakers also has very little effect on the volume. apparently by doubling the number of speakers you only get a 3dB increase in volume which is nothing - don't quote me on that, i'm not sure.)

im going to quote you on that, haha, but only to reiterate it.
it all depends on how loud you play anyway. if normally your only playing at like 20 decibals, which i think is very very quiet, its like practice levels, then 3 db is pretty noticable. but if your playing at stage volume, like 60-100 db 3db isnt much at all.
Heads built for high gain have large wattages so that the power tubes DONT distort when you get pretty loud, so you can maintain clarity and not get flubby. If anyone says "dont get that, its too loud" then verbally smack them in the balls. Well, unless its some kid buying it for bedroom use, or if they want any kind of power tube saturation. Ive gigged pubs with my Bogner Uberschall (120w) and, admittedly with a good tubescreamer, never had issues such as I cant turn it up enough to open it up properly, all that stuff. Obviously it doesnt go to even near full volume, but that is the POINT! Too many people on here listen to people without experience, these myths get started and just never die! This thread should be heeded.
Diezel, Motherfucker