So I recently came upon a program called "ninjam" where you jam with other people online, really fun to use, only one problem: I have yet to use it, I've never used my guitar with computer, so I don't know how to plug it into computer, I asked them on the chat, and they said " i think you can plug just in the mic or the line in of the sound card
"

I was wondering, do I need an adapter to plug it into the line in? I don't think I have a 1/4" plugin on my computer, in fact I can already tell you I don't

and when I do plug in, is there anything else I need? thanks for any help
you can try a TS 1/4" - 1/8" adapter to the mic input but it wont work with the line in, no preamp there.

I tried all those online things, ejamming, ninjam...they all lag, and im on a fast connection/PC.

I highly suggest getting an audio interface, something like the m-audio fast track USB should work well and will offer a mic input if needed as well.

An interface will take out latency so you should be more on track with everything but as I said, its never dead on, theres no way to do that over the net.
ninjam has some audio files on their site and all seem out of sync by quite a bit...
Quote by moody07747
you can try a TS 1/4" - 1/8" adapter to the mic input but it wont work with the line in, no preamp there.

I tried all those online things, ejamming, ninjam...they all lag, and im on a fast connection/PC.

I highly suggest getting an audio interface, something like the m-audio fast track USB should work well and will offer a mic input if needed as well.

An interface will take out latency so you should be more on track with everything but as I said, its never dead on, theres no way to do that over the net.
ninjam has some audio files on their site and all seem out of sync by quite a bit...

What he said^, although it wont work if you don't play through the amp. Plug your guitar in the amp, and put the line out in your amp to the computer's microphone input...
sometimes the preamp on the mic input is enough to run direct form guitar to PC but if it doesnt work you can run a headphone or line out to the "line in" on your card.
just don't ever run any speaker cab output to the computer, too much load...

Overall its best to get an interface though...
My amp has a jack that says "Preamp out" is that what I should plug into my computer?
I THINK A preamp out is just a line out before the power amp but after the preamp so yea you should be able to use a TRS cord from that into your line in port on the PC.

once again, an interface is recommended...

On second thought it could be an FX loop type setup, I suggest looking up the manual on your amp and see what it says...
Last edited by moody07747 at May 16, 2008,
Quote by moody07747
sometimes the preamp on the mic input is enough to run direct form guitar to PC but if it doesnt work you can run a headphone or line out to the "line in" on your card.
just don't ever run any speaker cab output to the computer, too much load...

Overall its best to get an interface though...

so it's not a good idea to plug my amp into the computer?

by interface do you mean, like http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Tascam-US144-USB2.0-4X4-Audio-Midi-Computer-Interface?sku=242193 ?
^ yea that would be the best and safest way to go.
also if you get a mic and mic your amp you get cabinet tone which sounds better than a direct input IMO.

that tascam is nice and USB 2.0 is better than USB 1.1 (slow connection) so I would go with that tascam if you have the money for it.

If you are on a tight budget, the fast track is a fair buy:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/MAudio-Fast-Track-USB-Computer-Recording-Interface?sku=703606
Last edited by moody07747 at May 16, 2008,
yeah I'll probably go with the tascam, I did not like the comments I saw on the M-audio product.

thanks for all the help, I had a bit of a hard time following all this since I'm not good on equipment past setting up a pedal and amp, but I figured it out, thanks a ton, you helped alot, anything else you suggest?

oh another question, is it possibly to plug your guitar into your amp, then amp into interface then computer? same with pedals, am I able to plug into my pedals with the interface (Hah, don't laugh, I'm new to this, I'd rather not kill my speakers)
I don't know what that preamp out does so I suggest you google that and see for yourself if you can find info on it, or look at your amp manual if you have one.

You could just go guitar - pedals - interface - PC
If your preamp output is just an output after the preamp stage of your amp you should be fine feeding that into your interface.

If you have a tube amp, dont unplug your speakers or you will take load off the amp and blow something up.

An interface (that Tascam unit) is basically a high end preamp made for recording. They send audio quickly though to the PC as well as play the audio back fast offering low latency.

Latency is just the delay time from when you hit a string on your guitar to when you hear it on your speakers.