Hey. Recently, I bought a Crate GTD120 for a real cheap price at my local guitarcenter. I got a 2 year warranty with it, just to be sure. I've already had to exchange the footswitch because one switch stopped working. Just a few minutes ago, I was playing my guitar through it, when all of sudden I heard this big pop, and it seemed like I lost some highs. I'm kinda new to electric guitars, so I'm wondering, is this popping normal? Am I just imagining things, or did I really screw up my amp? If so, should I go get the speakers checked? Please help.
Quote by timi_hendrix
That looks like a digestive biscuit that's been thrown up by a cat.
i would take it to an amp tech if you really think it sounds different, or maybe you should never buy a crate again.
Gear

Standard Epiphone LP W/Dimarzio Super 2's
1973 Ampeg VT-22

Fulltone Clyde
Ernie Ball VP Jr
Boss tu-2
Boss sd-1
Ehx Little Big Muff
Fulltone Ultimate Octave
Boss eq-7
Ehx Memory Man
Digitech Delay X-series
Ehx Holy Grail
lol. im gonna ask someone i no if i should take it to a tech. i think ill do that tomorrow. should i stop playing it until then?
Quote by timi_hendrix
Man, I don't know. I have that amp, and i've never had a problem with it. But if you're really that concerned about it, i'd take it to some amp tech or something.
Quote by Amphisbaena
Man, I don't know. I have that amp, and i've never had a problem with it. But if you're really that concerned about it, i'd take it to some amp tech or something.

i have a warranty at GC, so i'll have them look it over. but, im kinda paranoid, so it might just be me.
Quote by timi_hendrix
Stuff isnt suppossed to pop.. My tube amp used to pop like once in a blue moon didnt think nothing of it.. Turns out the tubes were messed up, replaced now no pop....

I would take it in....
This sucker unfortunately aint tube, so would it be the speakers? also, i was gonna jam with a friend of mine tomorrow, and im afraid that if go to an amp tech, its gonna take some time. Should i just go jam, and take it in later? or should I just leave it be?
Quote by timi_hendrix
Quote by Joeschmoemama
This sucker unfortunately aint tube, so would it be the speakers? also, i was gonna jam with a friend of mine tomorrow, and im afraid that if go to an amp tech, its gonna take some time. Should i just go jam, and take it in later? or should I just leave it be?

No matter what it is, its not suppossed to pop. Cheap SS or even tube amps have that issue becaue of the quality of parts. But with that said not all of them pop even amps rolled out of the same plant just off the assembly line. Its just a lemon, i would take it back and get a replacement.
k, i guess ur right, i will get it fixed, or take it back asap. Is it still okay to use it for a jam session tomorrow?
Quote by timi_hendrix
Quote by Joeschmoemama
k, i guess ur right, i will get it fixed, or take it back asap. Is it still okay to use it for a jam session tomorrow?

Sure most that could happen is it catch one fire....
Quote by higherworlds
i would take it to an amp tech if you really think it sounds different, or maybe you should never buy a crate again.

Why the hate highworld? Did a crate steal your girlfriend?
Just get it checked out, I agree it sounds like it could be a lemon. I doubt you did anything to cause this. It could be anything, bad production etc. Play it and since it's under warranty if it burns, they aren't likely to try to fix it.
Quote by gregs1020
Why the hate highworld? Did a crate steal your girlfriend?
Just get it checked out, I agree it sounds like it could be a lemon. I doubt you did anything to cause this. It could be anything, bad production etc. Play it and since it's under warranty if it burns, they aren't likely to try to fix it.

Thanks. So, I should just play it hard, and see if it breaks, because if it does, they'll replace it? Ill give that a shot if that's the case.
Quote by timi_hendrix