i have;
EPI LP standard (main guitar)
Jackson rr24 (plays like **** right now,currently in the shop)
Marshall tsl60
i play in a very versatile metal band..a need really tight high gain, and really good cleans, and i crunchy mid gain tone
my rr24 sux for cleans. my tsl's gain isnt quite high enough,and isnt tight enough. i love my LP,but the pups start to cut-out, tuning machine is warped(made in china lol)

so....new guitar or new amp?
for guitars, i need cleans/high gain capable. passive p/ups, 22-24 frets.no trem.mahogany or ash or similair wood. LP style neck,
i was thinking;
jackson dominion
fender J5 telee

amp...pretty much needs 3 channels, but 2 could work.
mesa mark IV?
mesa roadster?

need more suggestions
i am happy with what ive got, and i know im a lucky son of a bitch to have this at 14 years old...but hey,i worked my ass of for all of it.
i want to find something that i will be very happy with, price isnt a hige factor, i dont need anything ASAP...suggestions welcome/needed
peace bros/sis'
Paul Reed Smith CE22
Fender Spalted Maple HH Tele
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Korg Pitchblack
Boss GE-8 Graphic EQ
Dunlop ZW Wah
BBE Two Timer
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV Combo
Mesa/Boogie Rectifier 212

www.myspace.com/shapesofgrey
The amp is where most of your tone is coming from, so that should be your first priority. The Mark IV would be an excellent choice, BUT i hear it takes a while to figure out how to work it.
-ash
do u think running any pedals would help,as opposed to a new amp? i dont wanna have to tap dance, cuz i do tonnes of channel switching, and turning a tubescreamer on/off with the gain channel could be annoying
Paul Reed Smith CE22
Korg Pitchblack
Boss GE-8 Graphic EQ
Dunlop ZW Wah
BBE Two Timer

Maybe a tubescreamer or bad monkey will tighten up your distorted stuff. And perhaps you'll be able to juice some more distortion out of your amp.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
do u think a screamer will give me enough tone? i want something thats really tight,lots of low mids, dark sounding
any other amps i should look at,other than the mesa boogies?
Paul Reed Smith CE22
Korg Pitchblack
Boss GE-8 Graphic EQ
Dunlop ZW Wah
BBE Two Timer

Quote by wyldeshredder
do u think a screamer will give me enough tone? i want something thats really tight,lots of low mids, dark sounding
any other amps i should look at,other than the mesa boogies?

5150, Framus Cobra, Engl Powerball, Hughes&Kettner Switchblade...

there are tons of high gain amps in the same price range

and yeah, a screamer would be a good choice too.
Brigadier of the 7-string legion. 7>6

Fender Telecaster
Schecter Damien 7
Engl Fireball
Seeing as you want sweet cleans and tight high gain, I'd recommend looking at some ENGLs.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
5150, Framus Cobra, Engl Powerball, Hughes&Kettner Switchblade

5150,need killer cleans
framus, i'll look into
engl, hope i can find one in canada (ottawa area)
hughes and kettner...yumm, i wish had the cash and can find one

i'll look into the framus/engl/hughes for sure
Paul Reed Smith CE22
Korg Pitchblack
Boss GE-8 Graphic EQ
Dunlop ZW Wah
BBE Two Timer

what pickup's in the rr24? an emg81? if so, that's probably not the problem... (though it might be why your cleans suck, then again, try rolling down your guitar's volume)

mahogany or ash or similar wood? aren't they almost like polar opposites in terms of tone?

i'd look into a new amp, most likely. Engls and the like are really nice, but might not be the best value in canada. maybe look at vht, soldano and similar stuff to that.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Dave is true. VHTs is probably cheaper over there than the Engls (In europe, it's the complete opposite, sort of). Maybe a Splawn or a Mako would be worth a look too!
Brigadier of the 7-string legion. 7>6

Fender Telecaster
Schecter Damien 7
Engl Fireball
ya rr24=emg 81..its got a fairly tight gain, i like it..but its not great...and ya,its cleans suck
and ya,its made of alder.....the LP is ash i think....so,bright rr24 vs. darker LP
i'll check VHT tonight
Paul Reed Smith CE22
Korg Pitchblack
Boss GE-8 Graphic EQ
Dunlop ZW Wah
BBE Two Timer

Quote by bjoern_swe
Dave is true. VHTs is probably cheaper over there than the Engls (In europe, it's the complete opposite, sort of). Maybe a Splawn or a Mako would be worth a look too!

yeah, any of those quality american high gain amps (mesa too) are worth looking into- i just said the first two that came into my head.

don't get me wrong, if you can get to try e.g. engls etc. and like them better, by all means go for it, just be aware that in europe, engls etc. are about half to two-thirds the price of vhts and soldanos, while in the US (and presumably canada too), as bjoern says, it's the opposite.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
how does the mesa mark IV match up against an engl,splawn,ect..higher quality, equal, or lower quality?

also,i believe VHT's are factory direct, which im not really into..i defenitely want to try w/e im gonna buy...i dont wanna have any kinda of impulse buying attitude..i'm planning on going in to try out a whole bunch of amps once im out for the summer
Paul Reed Smith CE22
Korg Pitchblack
Boss GE-8 Graphic EQ
Dunlop ZW Wah
BBE Two Timer

id just like a L.P Custom and some back ups and id be done - i wont ask for anything more
Quote by wyldeshredder
how does the mesa mark IV match up against an engl,splawn,ect..higher quality, equal, or lower quality?

Mesa build quality on the Mark IV is very good. It's pretty messy looking inside because they have tons of wires running in there, but the parts they use are all high quality.

ENGL is just a big computer basically, looks like the inside of a printer. Doesn't necessarily mean they're not high quality, but it does mean that if anything goes wrong with it, it's a lot harder to fix.

Splawn are very high quality, very well built amps.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
looked up the H/K switchblade....hard not to find a bad review of that one, dont think i'll look much further into it..i know lifeson plays one. i saw rush a couple months ago and i wasnt crazy bout the guitar tone..too trebly and brittle, not much low end...kind of lost sounding,too much highs....and that was with les pauls!
i think the mark IV is the top candidate to try out right now.
where i live, i have easy access to marshall, mesa, peavey, fender, rivera, ....and line 6. i'm not really into those. the other guitar player in my band has a spiderIII...its really tight, but really sterile and digital sounding, not much charector to it.
what do u guys think of a dual rec? i've heard they have a flabby bottom end on them, but have pretty good cleans and lots of gain
Paul Reed Smith CE22
Korg Pitchblack
Boss GE-8 Graphic EQ
Dunlop ZW Wah
BBE Two Timer

Quote by wyldeshredder
what do u guys think of a dual rec? i've heard they have a flabby bottom end on them, but have pretty good cleans and lots of gain

I honestly really don't like Single/Dual/Triple Rectos. They sound pretty bad at low volumes (imo) and have to be turned up pretty loud to get anything decent out of them.

If I was going to get any kind of Recto it'd be a Rect-O-Verb or Trem-O-Verb, or the Roadking. The Rect/Trem-O-Verbs are much more tighter sounding and have better cleans. I'd probably consider them just under the Mark IV in terms of sound quality.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Lol. AAS almost looks like ass.

/immaturity.
Mitch Hedberg Group
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/koalabears/

Quote by Irnmaiden4life
why didnt you just play like crap?
if you need help with that, ask Vincent745

Quote by imgooley
Awe, so cute...

How old are you?

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Old enough to yell rape.
Quote by SSL27

/immaturity.

That's what I though at first

And TS, I think that you really should look into the ENGL's. They have pretty decent cleans.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
You're smart for a 14 year old. I like you.

But on topic, I think the Mark IV is a good option, just because there's lots of channels. And I bet you'd like the J5 tele. I tried one recently and it is a nice guitar and it feels good to play.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
Quote by SSL27

/immaturity.

Yeah that's totally what I thought it said at first
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by wyldeshredder

also,i believe VHT's are factory direct, which im not really into..i defenitely want to try w/e im gonna buy...i dont wanna have any kinda of impulse buying attitude..i'm planning on going in to try out a whole bunch of amps once im out for the summer

i haven't tried a mark IV, lol.

don't know about where you are, but vhts aren't factory direct here, there are vht dealers here...

also if you can get hold of riveras easily, they're bound to be worth a try. i've only tried the clubster/pubster (forget which), but it was pretty nice. the high gain heads are meant to be very nice, and good cleans too (rivera used to work at fender, i think).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Rivera knucklehead tre. It really impressed me and thats hard to do.
Tom Anderson Hollow Classic
72 thin line tele

Barber trifecta fuzz
Mi audio Crunch Box
Clyde Wah
Barber Burn Unit
Ocean efx Texas deuce
Boomerang chorus delay
Barber ltd

1971 Pro reverb
Fender acoustasonic
Fender super champ xd
wow, a blue car!
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
heeeheee a poodle!

a squirrel!

a pig - curly tail, straight, curly, straight

god, i love homer simpson!
:d :d
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?