Page 1 of 2
Hello again ug,

I may be tuning my guitar down from drop c to drop b, and i was wondering what gauge would be good for a schecter c1-plus (24.75 scale). I considered eb not even slinky, but am afraid they may be too loose. Does anybody know of a larger set good for that tuning or will I have too use 7 string sets/custom order?

btw, i am aware the guitar will need a setup.

thanks
12's maybe? maybe get a heavier E?

I had my LP with .10-.46 in drop b, REALLY flappy.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
well on my guitar i just use regular super slinkys for everything down to drop b. i dunno what the scale is but its a strat copy with 22 frets

sorry if this doesnt help
Get a seven string then you can do drop A tunings.
Do you use a BR-600?
If so, click here to join the group thats made for you!
NOt even Slinkies are Perfect for drop B, BUt i would recoment Tuning any higher than drop C with them as you'll probably **** your neck..
Metal!!!/COLOR]<br><br>
Gear:
LTD M-200FM
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 50.
Ibanez SZ720FM
Boss MT-2 MetalZone
Boss GE-7
Zoom II Effects Pedal
quit playing guitar.

No reason on earth to tune that low. There is no decent band in the world that tunes that low, and I am 100% sure you dont need to tuen that way to fit your singer's voice.

A baritone guitar could do it easily, if you had to, but again, you dont have to. Ever.

Strings dont stay in tune in rubber band mode, and that is why there are bass guitars, and baritone guitars.

Just buy a 4 srting bass, and pretend.
I was in B for a while and then I got my guitar setup with 12's. It was super thick, so I'm back up to C, but do whatever you like, it's your music.
Quote by mickjones76
quit playing guitar.

No reason on earth to tune that low. There is no decent band in the world that tunes that low, and I am 100% sure you dont need to tuen that way to fit your singer's voice.

A baritone guitar could do it easily, if you had to, but again, you dont have to. Ever.

Strings dont stay in tune in rubber band mode, and that is why there are bass guitars, and baritone guitars.

that has to be the single dumbest thing ive ever heard in my life
some of the bands in drop B that I've seen live are amazing
the work they put into their music will far surpass anything you ever accomplish
and telling someone to quit playing guitar, you sir are a dick.
have a nice day
Quote by mickjones76
No reason on earth to tune that low.

I guess you are someone who isn't impressed by an 8-string guitar tuned to F# or drop E, (same octave E as a standard-tuned bass) huh?

Welcome to UG, and listen to some Meshuggah. You can thank me later.

As for the TS, I would suggest getting a set of Zakk Wylde strings. The set with the .070 low string preferably. I really can't think of anything else that has a large enough gauge to do drop B with any real authority. I personally use .081 on my 25.5" 7 tuned to A
Last edited by The Atomic Ass at May 17, 2008,
I keep my Ibanez in Drop B with .12-.52's, and I've got a tiny bit of rubber band going on, and I haven't had it setup yet but I did adjust the floating bridge accordingly
Amon Amarth uses drop B tuning.
Quote by gilly_90
Hi, I'm looking for some fruit, I can't decide between apples and oranges.
Which one is better?
Thanks
Quote by Shining_Yrael

Dun dundundun dun dundundun dundundundun, repeat.

I LOVE IT.
Quote by mickjones76
quit playing guitar.

in flames is in drop b flat.

but i know where you're coming from. i hate all forms of detuning. which is why if you want to get the B then go play baritone or 7 string
i have a 'white guitar'
Quote by mickjones76
quit playing guitar.

You have no idea what you're talking about. Virtually every death metal band tunes no higher than drop B, most time lower than that. Even outside DM, there are tons of bands that tune to B, and it sounds great. Please don't think that just b/c the guitars are dropped tuned that the bass stays in standard, as they'll tune down too.

To answer the OP's question, I'd go with 12's or 13's. Try to find a set that has the G string wound, it does wonders for keeping the G in tune. I think DR 12's are like that.
I play Not even Slinky, they are perfect for those tunings. I only play Drop B when it goes out of tune from drop C though...
In the Valley of Vung
i have a set of st/hb 11-58s on my dinky, which is in drop B permanently.

they are the mutts nuts.
Quote by Lewis vs Clark
Hello again ug,

I may be tuning my guitar down from drop c to drop b, and i was wondering what gauge would be good for a schecter c1-plus (24.75 scale). I considered eb not even slinky, but am afraid they may be too loose. Does anybody know of a larger set good for that tuning or will I have too use 7 string sets/custom order?

btw, i am aware the guitar will need a setup.

thanks

I had my backup guitar set up like that for almost a year, I used Ernie Ball Not even slinkies like you suggested. (Worse yet, I had it tuned to B standard for some period of time too with the same strings).
The only thing I did need to do was adjust the neck due to tension changes, lock the bridge, intonate the thing and sand one fret very lightly due to buzz.

Other than that, everything went great, whole thing (setup and all) took me an hour or something. After that it was Amon Amarth time
Last edited by ZC3rr0r at May 17, 2008,
In Pursuit Of Vikings
Quote by gilly_90
Hi, I'm looking for some fruit, I can't decide between apples and oranges.
Which one is better?
Thanks
Ugh, I'm a viking from Finland... xD No, seriously that aside,

I use this Custom Shop set of GHS strings, gauge 0.13 - 0.56 (They seem like normal GHS Boomers to me, but the package clearly says "custom shop", dont know why)

They work great on my six-string, no rubber band effect detected, no buzz...

Actually, when I switched from Drop-D to Drop-B, I didn't have to adjust the neck at all... I guess it might have something to do with the compensation, think about it:

Drop-D: Thighter strings and tuning, normal strings, normal tension

Drop-B: Looser strings and tuning, thick strings, higher tension

What do you think?
Guitars:

Yamaha RGX A2

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
(w/Seymour Duncan Dimebucker)
I've used my 10-52 and the tension was fine.
Bands to see before I die:
Iron Maiden
Foo Fighters
Megadeth
Reel Big Fish
Rush
Streetlight Manifesto

Gear:
Epi LP Standard
Washburn Strat
Line 6 Spider (Yes, I know it's bad)

GAS:
Ibanez RG3570Z
Digitech Whammy
Guys, this thread is two months old, I think the TS solved his problem.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Use the Zakk Wylde GHS .10-.60 set.

My band plays in b and they fit perfect.

EDIT - Someone said you cant tune any higher then b with heavy strings. Thats false, I use to have the .11-.70 set in standard on my SG.
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD Viper-400
Jackson RR3
Gibson SG Voodoo
Washburn Acoustic

Peavey 6505 head.
Marshall JCM200 TSL100 head.
Vader 4x12.

Maxon OD9.
Boss NS-2.
Quote by Shining_Yrael

Nah. B Standard
To me:
Quote by crazy8rgood

In fact, I almost ALWAYS agree with YourDad.

Quote by itchy guitar
One of the best replies ever.

In the same thread

Do you love Arsis?
Quote by mickjones76
quit playing guitar.

Leave, and never come back. You are not welcome here anymore
Brigadier of the 7-string legion. 7>6

Fender Telecaster
Schecter Damien 7
Engl Fireball
Well I use 12's. The tensions gives a good warmth in Standard, and keeps a normal tension when detuned.
I've gone to Drop A, and it started a little flappy there, so it was a bad idea lol.
For a tuning as low as Drop B, i would say 12's get the job done, but if they have 13's, i would go there, but i've never tried anything past 12's, so don't take my word for it.
but again, 12's get the job done well.
Quote by mickjones76
quit playing guitar.

this is completely absurd...
Quote by mickjones76
quit playing guitar.

Just shut up, you have no idea what you're on about.

TS- 11s can manage it, but I'd recommend 12s for tuning stability.
Quote by Ghanja_Fog
that has to be the single dumbest thing ive ever heard in my life
some of the bands in drop B that I've seen live are amazing
the work they put into their music will far surpass anything you ever accomplish
and telling someone to quit playing guitar, you sir are a dick.
have a nice day

Just reported him.

And I'd recommend using 12-52's or something like that, perhaps DR, apparently Nile uses them. And they tune to Drop A, too.
Quote by djurico666
I like to think that after all the hardcore dancers were happy they'd succesfully killed the air ninjas during Suicide Silence, Nile came out and made them all go

Quote by bendystraw
Work on playing with your penis. A dick solo would bring infinite girlfriends.
Quote by mrbean667
Just reported him.

For having an opinion... three months ago. He made fun of (insert crappy metal band), GET HIM!

Not that I would dislike a band just because they used B. Cathedral probably used it for their first album, which makes it awesome.
This space foreclosed, due to the ailing economy.
Last edited by Free to Guitar at Aug 19, 2008,
Quote by mickjones76
quit playing guitar.

I think somebody is a closeminded ass.
There are alot of uses for drop b and bands who tune even lower.
And to those saying drop b bands are repedative check out The Agony Scene's album The Darkest Red, all drop b and the guitars arent repeditive.
Quote by Free to Guitar
For having an opinion... three months ago. He made fun of (insert crappy metal band), GET HIM!

Not that I would dislike a band just because they used B. Cathedral probably used it for their first album, which makes it awesome.

It wasn't opinion, it was a dumb ass statement, which are basically synonymous nowadays.
Like podcasts? Listen to these!
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Last edited by zappp : Today at 4:20 PM. Reason: Suck on my balls, UG
i use ernie ball not even slinky (12-56) and they work fine for me, C standard or drop b.
Page 1 of 2