So I've never modded anything.. but I have this really ****ty Lyon Distortion pedal..
don't know why.. but yeah.. is there anything I can to do it?

like anything, even screw it up to where it still works but gives weird sounds or something..
I have no use for it at all so is there anyway to mod it without having to get a bunch of extra stuff??
Change transistors/diodes to better quality ones?
DEAD. AIR. SPACE.

Fender American Strat/Tele->Vox V847 Wah->EH LPB-1->BK Butler Tube Driver->Big Muff Pi->MXR Carbon Copy->EH Small Clone->Vox AC30/Orange Tiny Terror/Blues Deluxe RI
dunno' if I'm really looking for a way to make it better since I always use amp distortion.. hate stompbox..

is there anyway to turn it into like an overdrive pedal and stuff?
By replacing transistors/diodes, I think, LOL.
Hey, for a POS pedal just have fun with it. Make it like a freaking oscillator or foot theremin, LOL.
DEAD. AIR. SPACE.

Fender American Strat/Tele->Vox V847 Wah->EH LPB-1->BK Butler Tube Driver->Big Muff Pi->MXR Carbon Copy->EH Small Clone->Vox AC30/Orange Tiny Terror/Blues Deluxe RI
well it isn't like I have a clue what those are.

I play guitar, I don't build pedals I just buy them.

so what is an oscillator or foot theremin..? lol

and yeah like you said it is a "POS" pedal so that's what I would like to do.. just screw around with it.. could care less what happens :P
Quote by TechnicolorType
well it isn't like I have a clue what those are.

I play guitar, I don't build pedals I just buy them.

so what is an oscillator or foot theremin..? lol

and yeah like you said it is a "POS" pedal so that's what I would like to do.. just screw around with it.. could care less what happens :P

Well changing compnents would change the sound. What pedal is it?
Google transistor or diode, LOL.
I'm not good at explaining.

An oscillator is a variable pitch making tool, and a theremin is a light/molecular (?)/frequency varied oscillator. Youtube theremin, its crazy. You play it by not touching it.
DEAD. AIR. SPACE.

Just a Washburn Lyon Distortion pedal.. some piece of crap 40 dollar walmart pedal lmao.

and ok then.. so how could I do one of these things to it?
that's sort of my reason to bother.

to screw it up to make it do something different, even if it gives out like the most stupidest noise ever.

I don't want to make it better, I just wanna' do something to it.
Dude, djszkoda, an oscillator is a mechanical, electrical or biological mechanism that produces regular, periodic variations in time. In electronics terms, it's any electronic device capable of generating a repeating waveform, or a digital process used by a synthesizer to generate said waveform.
I know, lol.
I was hoping he'd improvise.
DEAD. AIR. SPACE.

Read this stuff:
http://users.sa.chariot.net.au/~gmarts/ampovdrv.htm
http://privatewww.essex.ac.uk/~mpthak/Distortion/

Your distortion is probably complex but ****ty, I suggest getting everything out what's in there and using only the box (The boxes are the most expensive things in effects). You can build an own distortion for like 10 euro (7 dollar?). Something really simple will probably already sound better, I had the same with my Nobels Distortion, now I build one myself that's a lot better.

This is my design:

I build and design mine with no experience aswell, so you should be able to aswell.
Guitasr:
Cort KX-Custom
ESP LTD M-200FM
Amp:
Engl Powerball
Misc:
Focusrite Scarlet 2i4
sweet thanks I'll check it out.. and yeah as crappy as a pedal it is, the body is a decent rough metal..

but...
is there like a guide for dummies
I have never done anything involving making/modding pedals and think it'd be cool to learn.
Last edited by TechnicolorType at May 19, 2008,
is it surface mounted parts?

I've found a lot of low end pedals are all surface mounted
Quote by pinguinpanic
Read this stuff:
http://users.sa.chariot.net.au/~gmarts/ampovdrv.htm
http://privatewww.essex.ac.uk/~mpthak/Distortion/

Your distortion is probably complex but ****ty, I suggest getting everything out what's in there and using only the box (The boxes are the most expensive things in effects). You can build an own distortion for like 10 euro (7 dollar?). Something really simple will probably already sound better, I had the same with my Nobels Distortion, now I build one myself that's a lot better.

This is my design:

I build and design mine with no experience aswell, so you should be able to aswell.

I like the tube screamer style clipping in the feedback loop i might even breadboard it and see how it sounds!
thanks

maybe that'll be easier.. since I want a guide showing like more of how to do it rather then telling me.. like steps since I've never done it before

I'll check site out when I have time