Page 1 of 3
LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - A 49-year-old Missouri woman accused of pretending to be a love-struck teenage boy on MySpace and driving a 13-year-old girl to suicide with cruel messages was indicted on Thursday on federal charges.Prosecutors say Lori Drew and others created the fake MySpace persona of a 16-year-old boy to woo neighbor Megan Meier for several weeks, then abruptly ended the relationship and said the world would be better off without her.Meier's 2006 suicide by hanging, just hours after she read those final messages, made worldwide headlines and prompted calls for social networking sites like MySpace to crack down on cyber-bullying."This adult woman allegedly used the Internet to target a young teenage girl, with horrendous ramifications," U.S. Attorney Thomas O'Brien said in announcing the indictment in Los Angeles, where MySpace is based. "Any adult who uses the Internet or a social gathering Web site to bully or harass another person, particularly a young teenage girl, needs to realize that their actions can have serious consequences," O'Brien said. Experts said the indictment, which was handed down in Los Angeles after Missouri authorities declined to prosecute Drew, was a first of its kind and could stretch the bounds of the federal statute on which it was based."We are in uncharted waters here," University of Southern California law professor and former federal prosecutor Rebecca Lonergan told Reuters. "This case is unprecedented and it's also a very aggressive charging decision."Lonergan said Drew was charged with accessing a protected computer to obtain information, a statute typically used against defendants who hack into government computers "While I think most people agree that it merits punishment to harass a young girl to the point where she commits suicide, it's not clear that this conduct is covered by this federal statute," she said A FICTIONAL BOy Prosecutors say Drew, mother of a teenage girl who had a falling out with Meier, and several others created a profile for the fictional "Josh Evans," using the picture of an unwitting teenage boy. They then contacted Meier, who lived four doors away in O'Fallon, Missouri, through MySpace as "Josh" and spent several weeks flirting with her before ending the relationship on October 15, 2006. Several hours after the final message, Meier, who had argued with her mother over the relationship, hanged herself in the closet of her bedroom in a St. Louis suburb, still unaware that "Josh" did not exist. The indictment charges that after Meier killed herself, Drew had the phony MySpace account deleted and warned a girl who knew about it that she should "keep her mouth shut." After the incident became widely known, the Drew family was shunned by members of the community, targeted for abuse on the Internet and their small advertising business was vandalized. Drew, who faces a maximum sentence of 20 years in federal prison if she is convicted on all of the charges, was expected to surrender to authorities in Missouri.

for those of you who read that its just terrible isnt it? and for those who didnt i can summerize it in 3 words: what a bitch. what are your thoughts on it
Seen it before, shes a pariah.
Quote by CowsWithGuns
I don't want to give myself over to a world of Regina Spektor, Van Gogh posters, and loud conversations about how wasted they got.
49 year old mom has deeper problems.
Quote by Ez0ph
That was a different Feb08er that threatened to suck you off
I remember that

Sadly, I was the threatened.
Quote by Firenze

Let it be known that I concur with everything this gentleman says, ever.

www.myspace.com/tarsusmusic
That's just f*ckin ridiculous.
Why would she even do that?
Sick, sick world...
McLovin is my hero!

It's not the going that the pit cares about.
It's the coming.
She should get more then 20 years .

She pretty much killed the teenage girl.

Gear
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Carvin V3 and Marhall 1960A cab
2 B.C. Rich Ironbird Pro
Schecter Hellraiser 6
Boss ML-2

i read thsi yesterday on MSNBC news
Quote by TunerAddict,mdawg24
+Infinity

Listen to ExtremeMetalFTW, he knows what he is talking about...

Quote by vmanoman
I clicked System Restore and it said "System Restore Is Unable To Protect You".

^^SO KVLT!!
Yeah I saw this video about this earlier. I can't believe how ridiculous some people can be. And especially since this came from a mother trying to get revenge for her daughter. I'd expect this kind of stuff from another 13 year old, but not someone who is supposed to be a responsible and mature adult. It's terrible what happened, but there's nothing that can be done now.
tumblr | twitter | instagram
Quote by Rossenrot
Aig91 Atomizes Rossenrot Before Offering Mercy In Exchange For Wholesale Genuflection
Old news is OLLLDDDD

Read ED?
Anonymous tormented her and harassed her for a long time. Seriously. She got a taste of her own medicine.
Hey look, a stoner/doom album.

GENERATION 27: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

E-father of TheSPillow/Sam
E-brothers with Entity0009
that mom is so screwed up in the head, wtf, etc.

okay, that's out of the way. did anyone note the copious amount of drama demonstrated by the little girl? did that bother anyone?
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
what, the, ****.
"yeah, well, you know...

that's just like... your opinion man."

-The Dude, His Dudeness
i think i speak for all of us when i ask....

is she a MILF?

seriously tho thats just messed up
Quote by IncubusMan999
donkey the wise, very good

Quote by Metal_Rich
Living up to your name!

Currently searching for more ego padding quotes.

Me in pit = me being bored. Any help is much appreciated.
Quote by donkey the wise
i think i speak for all of us when i ask....

is she a MILF?

seriously tho thats just messed up

i tried to get a pic but it didnt work but alls i can say is not a puppy dogs chance in hell
saw that on the news yesterday...really saddening. Crazy lady is getting what she deserves.

However, the girl was 13, and it says clearly signing up for MySpace that you have to be 14. Not that she should've been "tormented' like that, but just throwing it out there...
Okay, all this started because Megan Meier stopped being friends with this girl, and this girl cried to her mom. All because a girl is a whiny little bitch.
Hey look, a stoner/doom album.

GENERATION 27: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

E-father of TheSPillow/Sam
E-brothers with Entity0009
The mother did somethnig horrible ,stupid, childish, etc. No doubt she should serve time. But now don't flame for this... anyone think about the girl who killed herself? At 13, she should maybe know a little bit better than to kill herself after a few weeks over a guy she never met. That girl probably had issues beforehand.

However, what that woman did was uncalled for and absolutely ridiculous.
Wow... this woman is the most successful troll in history.

massive lulz.
Bought for a few pennies
Now you're all just empty
Fucking soulless machines
RIP YOU APART!!!

-All Shall Perish

Quote by Supafly1824
The mother did somethnig horrible ,stupid, childish, etc. No doubt she should serve time. But now don't flame for this... anyone think about the girl who killed herself? At 13, she should maybe know a little bit better than to kill herself after a few weeks over a guy she never met. That girl probably had issues beforehand.

However, what that woman did was uncalled for and absolutely ridiculous.

Yeah, she had depression since 3rd grade. Since this woman was her friends mother she should have known that. Plus she was 13, 13 years olds don't tend to be the pinnacle of rationality.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by saxaxe
As much of an asshole statement as that is

...yea, you're right

indeed..

but honestly it is sad
Bought for a few pennies
Now you're all just empty
Fucking soulless machines
RIP YOU APART!!!

-All Shall Perish

The lady sucks but i dont get why the girl killed herself after only a few weeks and she never even met the guy in real life. I dunno i just dont know if this justifys for 10 or 20 years in prision but she should be punished on some level.
Quote by cjblack532
Old news is OLLLDDDD

Read ED?
Anonymous tormented her and harassed her for a long time. Seriously. She got a taste of her own medicine.

Did her daughter die? No. Saying that she got a taste of her own medicine because anon did something is an insult to the girl who died. Anon couldn't cause the woman who caused the girl who killed herself the same pain as what the girls family and friends feel and felt.
Quote by Vornik
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to put it, along with your other advice, into a book, the pages of which I will then use to wipe my ass.
holy **** thats horrible
[img]http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/3760/356h356h365pc1.png[/img]
Die Ruhe vor dem Sturm.
Wow...thats sad and i gotta say that lady is ****in pathetic...
Guitars:
Ibanez EW30ASERLG
Jackson Performer PS4 (soon to be sold)
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR
Orpheus Valley Fiesta FC
Gear:
POD X3 Live
Boss ME-20
Marshall MG15DFX
M-Audio Fastrack Ultra
Boss DR660
Am I the only one here who thinks this case is ridiculous and should be dropped? If she is charged with "internet bullying", what effect will that have on the future?

If someone in the pit asks a question and gets the ten or so "RAPE" replies from users and he actually does rape someone/something, are those members of the pit criminals and menaces to society?

The girl made a conscious decision to kill herself, the mom did not pull the trigger. While I agree that what she did was despicable, I cannot agree with the notion that 'Bullying on the internets' is a criminal offense.

People need to grow some balls and not let the internet take over their life.
Quote by Brown925
Am I the only one here who thinks this case is ridiculous and should be dropped? If she is charged with "internet bullying", what effect will that have on the future?

If someone in the pit asks a question and gets the ten or so "RAPE" replies from users and he actually does rape someone/something, are those members of the pit criminals and menaces to society?

The girl made a conscious decision to kill herself, the mom did not pull the trigger. While I agree that what she did was despicable, I cannot agree with the notion that 'Bullying on the internets' is a criminal offense.

People need to grow some balls and not let the internet take over their life.

It's not that which makes the people see it as a controversy, it's the fact that a 49 year old woman e-bullied a child.
Quote by Lord-O-Donuts
It's not that which makes the people see it as a controversy, it's the fact that a 49 year old woman e-bullied a child.

How many adults have "e-bullied" kids on the internet? It's not like this has never happened before (except maybe to this extent). Still, it's not worth 20 years in prison. Scum of the earth maybe, but it's just pixels on a monitor.
yea it is... its not everyday that u find out that ure kids boyfriend is a 49-year old mom
besides she should let her kid take care of her own issues
Genuinely the weirdest story I have heard in a long time.

It is really bad and weird to see fake myspace profiles as it is; I've already suspected a few... ****ing weird people.
Quote by Brown925
How many adults have "e-bullied" kids on the internet? It's not like this has never happened before (except maybe to this extent). Still, it's not worth 20 years in prison. Scum of the earth maybe, but it's just pixels on a monitor.

The girl had depression. She was also just into her teen years, where kids are more prone to being upset and hurt, especially by the opposite sex. For a 49 year old mother to pretend to be someone else over the internet, flirt with the girl, have her own daughters friends attack her over myspace and then say "the world would be better off without you", that warrants punishment.
Honestly, anyone who is stupid enough to tell a girl who has depression that the world would be a better place without you after making her feel good deserves 20 years in jail. Nothing good can come from it.
Quote by Vornik
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to put it, along with your other advice, into a book, the pages of which I will then use to wipe my ass.
So "why" did she do it.

Clearly there is no logic behind this to us sane people, but did she "dislike" the girl?
Quote by Jackolas
So "why" did she do it.

Clearly there is no logic behind this to us sane people, but did she "dislike" the girl?

Apparantly the womans daughter and the girl the killed herself were good friends, but had a disagreement somewhere along the line so the woman decided to fuck with her.
Quote by Vornik
Page 1 of 3