I've been playing for about 10 years and lately I've been getting this bad cramp like pain in my left "fret" hand in the pad of my thumb when playng chords. Anyone have any idea why and what I can do about this. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!
You might simply be applying too much pressure with your thumb, ease up on your grip.

If the pain is serious and consistent, I'd really recommend seeing a doctor.
Quote by :-D
You might simply be applying too much pressure with your thumb, ease up on your grip.

If the pain is serious and consistent, I'd really recommend seeing a doctor.

Thanks for the reply. I notice it most on chords like F# and G etc. It's not agonizing but very annoying and it concerns me because I've never had any problems before.
Quote by gainfreak12
Thanks for the reply. I notice it most on chords like F# and G etc. It's not agonizing but very annoying and it concerns me because I've never had any problems before.

Yeah, if you're concerned I'd just have it checked out by a doctor; certainly less harm will come to you than listening to a diagnosis made by a 13-year-old kid trolling the boards at some point.
Have purchase a new guitar lately ? The contour of the back of the guitar neck.
The samething happens when I play my ovation.

How high is the action set on your guitar ?
Are you using heavier guage strings ?

Are you playing too much vedio games ?lol
Do you operate some type of machinery at work ?
Do you use hand alot ...such as riding a motor cycle ?
Do you lift wieght ?

I ask you this..becuase I damaged my hand last year.

Strecth before your play. Flex you fingers back.
Warm up slowly.
Quote by gainfreak12
I've been playing for about 10 years and lately I've been getting this bad cramp like pain in my left "fret" hand in the pad of my thumb when playng chords. Anyone have any idea why and what I can do about this. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!
Does it happen more when your standing up? If so adjust your strap so your guitar is higher, this will mean your wrist wont have to bend as much and your thumb wont have as much pressure on it.
If not, your probably pushing to hard into the fretboard and applying too much presure (like what mr D smiley said), loosen up.