Here's a song we've been working on this week. Check it out and let me know what you think.

The mix is rough, very little time was put into it... and the drums still need some work. The guitars sound good, in my opinion, though.

Which parts do you like, which parts do you hate?

Song's working title is "Jackson"

On my profile: http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/zeroyon/
All my photobucket pics are dead so no links to my guitar build threads.
My Music
Hey man, thanks for the crit. I've Always liked metal like this. I always hear it in like video games/motion pictures, which is a great thing IMO

--Err minus the shred parts lol.

I reckon the drums sound great but if you can improve them that would be awesome... My only suggestion would be to slightly lower the bass volume when both guitars are playing rhythm. I understand you still need some rhythm backing it up there but the bass almost seems to take my attention entirely >.<
everything sounds tight, nothing wrong with the rhythm section, love the bass!!!! Lead guitar is great by the way, melody is great all the way through and didn't get boring

Great work
Quote by Serpeth
Sometimes I take all my clothes off and pretend I'm a velociraptor and pounce upon my roommate's desk as would a ferocious bloodthirsty velociraptor, knocking over his lamp with my semi-erect penis. And then I drink apple juice.
Yep, the bass is a bit loud... the monitors we're using are pretty small, so sometimes the bass comes out to heavy on another system with better bass response. Thats how you test your mix... go play it on the best stereo and the worst stereo. If it doesn't sound great on both, then it needs work.
My Music
Mmm... I like the high pass filter in the beginning. I don't really dig the tone on the lead guitar. Sounds too much like some modeling amp thing to me. Pretty solid playing but work on your vibrato. I think the song would've needed some more laid back part to give it space to breath; there's awful lot of stuff going on all the time. The mix sounds nice and beefy but the drums sound somewhat too thin, especially the snare lacks "balls". All in all, I liked it. It's a great track. Keep it up.
That's amazing,
Where to start..
The intro was great, builded up with energy,
Then when the lead and the bass came in, had an epic feel to it,
I don't really know anything bad about it, except the drums, didn't really have a, i don't know, a body to it, it was just like, there to be there, didn't really add effect.
Keep it up.
The gear.
Schecter S1 Diamond series.
ESP NV.
Randall G3 200W
Dunlop cry-baby wah (finally)
Line 6 spider III 15x (Small but deadly)
hey thanx for the crit.

now for yours.

for me the song was a bit boring.. until the lead came in over the rhythm and drums. great tone on the lead... sounds superb. overall this song sounds truly professional, and i think that if you had some vocals on it, would be good enough for sale. great work.
A bit boring? Really?

There's so much going on in there, I can't imagine how. I suppose maybe you didn't dig the first melody until the high solo kicks in... thats understandable.

There's a ton of guitar parts stacked up in this song, more than anything I've ever recorded. I really lost count.

I think in the 'B' part of the song there are at least 7 guitar parts playing at the same time. I may have forgotten one or two.. I'd have to look at the mix again.

I felt the drums are weak, too. And I programmed them.... heh heh. They were done to order... but still somewhat lifeless.
My Music
Thanks for the crit. I really like the new song, once the solo hits, the melody is really great, the rhythm guitar under it was really fun, that staccato part. The guitars sound great, but as you say the mix...once you get it clear and crisp, it will sound great. I really love the guitar harmonies. Get some vocals, (some big clean howard from killswitch vocals imo :p) and it will sound awesome. Great work
yea great song, you kept the harmonies interesting and catchy which is always a good thing, i thought it had a good structure too, sounded pretty epic (y)
the only downer imo is the drums, but i guess it is a rough version so i cant wait to hear the finished product, keep it up.
Quote by Nickm13
Thanks for the crit. I really like the new song, once the solo hits, the melody is really great, the rhythm guitar under it was really fun, that staccato part. The guitars sound great, but as you say the mix...once you get it clear and crisp, it will sound great. I really love the guitar harmonies. Get some vocals, (some big clean howard from killswitch vocals imo :p) and it will sound awesome. Great work

This song isn't going to get any vocals... at least it was never planned to. It would also never be performed live.. hence the ridiculous number of guitar tracks playing simultaneously.

On my songs I keep the guitars down to 2 at a time so it can be played live. I may use a few recording tricks that involve double or quadrupling, but they're playing the same part. In this track, we have several distinct parts and many of them doubled.
My Music
I really dig the intro and the main beat. The flow reminds me of like a gunstar hero's style game on the old computer systems, and in my eyes thats cool. The guitar work carrys alot of feeling, excellent job.

Please rate mine thanks!

Mark
You gonna bark all day little doggie?
nice riffing. the drums were pretty cool. not very typical for metal. i like when the bass comes in. i thought it was just right mixwise. the "chorus" has a very 80's feel. i was expecting the verses to be a little heavier drumwise. the soloing was excellent. you're a much better guitar player than i am

the best part about this imo was that groovy bass line. it was kind of funky actually...weirdly cool? meh.

crit mine? https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=860129
Too cool for a signature.
This song is supposed to be a soundtrack, so I guess we nailed that right on the head.

The guitar playing, unfortunately, is not done by me. I only wish I could rock out that hard. The guy playing is a professional bass player and plays guitar as a hobby. (thats why the bass line kicks ass, too)

Thanks for the compliments and criticisms. We are reworking the drums and hopefully will have a more pro sounding arrangement and mix to post soon. In the meantime, keep the comments coming. I will crit your song if you give me a day or two to get back to you.
My Music
Excellent lead guitar work on that one - I don't think it needs vocals, there is probably nowhere to put them - it's pretty busy already which is a good thing seeing it's an instrumental.

Only thing i would suggest needs work are the drums but hey we're guitarists so drums often take a back seat.

Good work.
There's only two things I don't like, the intro and the ending. I don't like how the tone of the rhythm guitar sounds like a tin can but as soon as the rest of the band comes in it sounds great. The only thing about the ending is it ends so abruptly. I suggest maybe some low bends or whammy bar use just to smooth it out and let the listener know the song is ending. Everything else is great I love it, is there some way I can download it?
"A sense of purpose overrides reason."- Terry Goodkind

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

\,,/GETCHA PULL!!!\,,/
- the late and ever-loved "Dimebag" Darrell Lance Abbott
Yeah, the end is pretty abrupt... heh heh. I have a tendency to do that a lot, and many people complain about it. I sorta like the ending that leaves it hanging... like a movie that ends and you feel like wtf? Thats it?

I guess sometimes thats a bad thing, though.

You didn't like the intro?? I love the intro. I think its pretty wicked the way it sounds like a tin can in mono and then BOOM everything rushes on at once after 8 bars.
My Music
Sup! Love the guitar work!
Quite the bass down a little - almost too much for cheap speakers!
The solo is damn sweet!!
Congrats on the tune!

Crit Mine?
GEAR:
SCHECTER "Diamond Series" REVENGER Guitar
VOX AD30VT Amp
ZOOM HD16CD Digital Mulit-Track Recorder
1 SHURE SM-57,1 Audio-Technica AT2035, 1 APEX 435 Mic. & 2 APEX 180 Condencer Mics
Edited with Audacity & Adobe Audition 3
Already done. I was the first to comment on your song.
My Music
sorry it took so long for me to get back (away on vaca) I like it a lot. I love the intro section. It sounds so COOL!!!!the bass and low freqs are amazing. Great song and amazing playing!
Your Mean

I hate you now

Let's be friends and play!