I was planning on having 2 strats. One with a HSH[hot rod style] setup and a SSS setup. Both were in perfect condition till I ****ed one up major. The HSH had a lump and I tried to fix it, and in that, ****ed it all up. So I took the pickguard off the SSS[which is very neat btw] and put it in the HSH. Now I was feeling kind of lazy so it's just a HSS setup. I hooked up the pickup, and I know it works because it did in the other strat. But I love my main one better. So anyways I cut the wires for the jack and I'm trying to hook it back up but when I plug it in my amp either makes annoying noise or nothing at all. Could it be the wires? connections aren't right? I'm not sure, I just need help.

The wires are house hold random wires.
I got some good guitars, yo.
Take it to someone who knows what they are doing...this sounds like a DIY SOS job to me.

"The wires are house hold random wires" - why didn't you use the existing pickup wires? Did you cut them clean off??

I don't know but I would certainly take it to a guitar tech or similar at your local music store/shop.

Good luck!
(Yet Another) Member of the Laney Cult
Gear in Profile
Quote by Leat
I was planning on having 2 strats. One with a HSH[hot rod style] setup and a SSS setup. Both were in perfect condition till I ****ed one up major. The HSH had a lump and I tried to fix it, and in that, ****ed it all up. So I took the pickguard off the SSS[which is very neat btw] and put it in the HSH. Now I was feeling kind of lazy so it's just a HSS setup. I hooked up the pickup, and I know it works because it did in the other strat. But I love my main one better. So anyways I cut the wires for the jack and I'm trying to hook it back up but when I plug it in my amp either makes annoying noise or nothing at all. Could it be the wires? connections aren't right? I'm not sure, I just need help.

The wires are house hold random wires.

It might be this...
You cant use the heavy single strand house wire in a guitar. And there is only 2 ways to connect to the output jack. Correct it works or wrong and it doesnt. The hot lead from the vol pot goes to the tip lug and the ground goes to the sleeve. If its a shielded cable then the center is hot and the braid is ground. But if your out of your league then take it to a tech have him show you where you went wrong.
I did that. Matter of fact I decided to cut the wire of an old Single Coil pickup that came stock with my squier. I don't use it anymore, so no fret over that. I stripped it and connected the ground to ground and hot to hot. Then I connected it to the female jack. Center piece for ground and outer[between the materials]tip for hot.
I got some good guitars, yo.
how bout you spend like $5 and get a guitar wiring kit, or just buy a spool of wire at a hardware store? because mix-n-matching wires only leads to troubles.

best of luck to your guitars.