i just sold my mg215rcd on ebay, advertising it as a 50w amp. Marshall even told me it was indeed 50w, even tho it had (2) 15w speakers. now the guy i sold it to is saying that its only 30w, so which is it?
on the back of the amp, it says "2x15w RMS at 8ohms"...what does this mean? this is what he's using to say its only 30w, even tho Marshall themselves told me otherwise.
also on the back, it says; mains input 230v~50Hz; 50w
i dont know anything about the language of electronics, so what does this translate to as far as the amp's specs?

this is the link he's getting the picture from.
http://www.marshallamps.com/downloads/files/MG215RCD%20Eng.pdf

thanks guys
he also says that where it says 50w after "mains input 230v~50Hz; 50w" is indicating the power INPUT, not the output of the amp...WTF????
uh so, the speakers are 15 watts a piece and the amp is 50 watts...

RMS = Root Mean Square...and I cant remember much after that....but its like the average wattage that its putting out...where as the max wattage might be more. Kind of like those cheap ass car amps you see that claim 5000 watts (max)....yeah, maybe, right before it melts, but more likely its 100 watts RMS or whatever....

Or maybe the 50 watts is the power consumption....which is what it draws out of the wall (outlet)...rather than what it actually puts out through the speakers...

maybe if this guy who bought it, would have done some research, like googling it or something.....
from what i understand, RMS is like what the speakers run best on where as the 50 watts is the peak power the speakers can handle.
that's definitely a 30w (output) amp, hence why the mg215crd (215 = 2x15) and mg50crd (50 = 1x50) amps exist, where the number corresponds to the speaker/wattage config.

to be fair, an extra 20w isn't really going to make an amp like that sound any better or very much louder, i don't know why hes particularly bothered.
i dont know how much this guy knows/understands, but he even claimed at first that there are 2 15w amps, each one driving its own speaker...?!?
his 2nd email didnt claim that anymore, and provided the link above.
Quote by haz_uk
that's definitely a 30w (output) amp, hence why the mg215crd (215 = 2x15) and mg50crd (50 = 1x50) amps exist, where the number corresponds to the speaker/wattage config.

to be fair, an extra 20w isn't really going to make an amp like that sound any better or very much louder, i don't know why hes particularly bothered.

so what made marshall tell me its 50w? i was only going by what they said...
Quote by primeguy31
i just sold my mg215rcd on ebay, advertising it as a 50w amp. Marshall even told me it was indeed 50w, even tho it had (2) 15w speakers. now the guy i sold it to is saying that its only 30w, so which is it?
on the back of the amp, it says "2x15w RMS at 8ohms"...what does this mean? this is what he's using to say its only 30w, even tho Marshall themselves told me otherwise.
also on the back, it says; mains input 230v~50Hz; 50w
i dont know anything about the language of electronics, so what does this translate to as far as the amp's specs?

this is the link he's getting the picture from.
http://www.marshallamps.com/downloads/files/MG215RCD%20Eng.pdf

thanks guys
It's 2 15watt amplifiers. That's 30 watts total output.
If you listed this as a 50watt output, you've misrepresented the amplifier.

It's IMPOSSIBLE for an amp that takes 50watts from the power source to deliver 50watts to the speakers. Some of that power is lost though heat.

You say you spoke to "Marshall themselves". Who did you speak to?
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
also, he hasnt even gotten it yet, its still in transit...he was just researching it by model#
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
It's 2 15watt amplifiers. That's 30 watts total output.
If you listed this as a 50watt output, you've misrepresented the amplifier.

It's IMPOSSIBLE for an amp that takes 50watts from the power source to deliver 50watts to the speakers. Some of that power is lost though heat.

You say you spoke to "Marshall themselves". Who did you speak to?

i spoke to someone in customer service thru their website, either on the phone or by email, cant remember, but pretty sure it was on the phone...
Quote by primeguy31
so what made marshall tell me its 50w? i was only going by what they said...

i've just looked at the manual you posted and it says clearly on the front page; '2x15 watt guitar amplifier' :/
Quote by haz_uk
i've just looked at the manual you posted and it says clearly on the front page; '2x15 watt guitar amplifier' :/

well, like i said, i dont understand techno-speak, so i thought that referred to the speakers...idk
It's not a 50w amplifier, its a stereo 30w amplifier. I think the second speaker is used when the chorus is on, so it's only 15w with 1 speaker.
The 50w on the back side is how much electrical power this consumes when played.
Jackson KV 2, Jackson COW 7 (both in B), Jackson Demmelition V
Bogner Überschall (blue rev)
Marshall 1960B Vintage (2x V30 & 2x G12T75)
TC Electronic G Major
BBE Sonic Maximizer 422A
Weber Mass 150w
ISP ProRackG
T.Racks Dinopower
if the amps output wattage was greater than what the speaker(s) could cope with, it would pop.

im not really technically minded about electronics, but its mostly common sense dude.
sounds like i owe this guy an apology...he's not mad, was just correcting me.
again, i was only going by what marshall told me...how do you suppose they screwed up like that? their customer service is just as bad as their MG's are...
Quote by haz_uk
if the amps output wattage was greater than what the speaker(s) could cope with, it would pop.

im not really technically minded about electronics, but its mostly common sense dude.

i understand that much, which is why i talked to them. when marshall "confirmed" it was 50w, i just shrugged it off as something i wont understand without electrical training or something and took them at their word...
maybe the guy you spoke to on the other end was a non-guitar player/trainee/retard and read the spec sheet wrong.
Quote by primeguy31
sounds like i owe this guy an apology...he's not mad, was just correcting me.
again, i was only going by what marshall told me...how do you suppose they screwed up like that? their customer service is just as bad as their MG's are...
If you have an e-mail to back up that statement, fine. Post the text here.

If not, you have no right to blame them. It was a phone conversation. You may have misinterpreted what they said. Or remembered wrong. You certainly didn't write it down, did you. You can't even remember the name of the person you talked to. That's the very first thing a person records when they have an important conversation.

In fact you can't even remember whether this was on the phone or through an e-mail.

Sorry, man. I'm no fan of MGs, but you'll not sour me on Marshall over this one.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
If you have an e-mail to back up that statement, fine. Post the text here.

If not, you have no right to blame them. It was a phone conversation. You may have misinterpreted what they said. Or remembered wrong. You certainly didn't write it down, did you. You can't even remember the name of the person you talked to. That's the very first thing a person records when they have an important conversation.

In fact you can't even remember whether this was on the phone or through an e-mail.

Sorry, man. I'm no fan of MGs, but you'll not sour me on Marshall over this one.

didnt mean it like that, man. dont have an email anymore cuz this all went down months ago with marshall...also why i dont remember names or anything either.
and whoever i talked to did assure me it was 50w, cuz that was the whole point of me contacting them...somehow wires got crossed in the conversation...