Hi,

I've been searching the internet for days, and I can't find an answer to this question:
For metal, which is better in playability, sound and value, an epi les paul custom with emg 81 bridge/60 neck or an ec1000 with, I believe, the same pickup setup? I live in Shanghai, and so I've only been able to play an epi, but without emg's (the store wouldn't let me test it out), but I found the neck to be a wee bit thick. I only really use the bridge pickup so I might only get the 81 installed if I go with the epiphone. The price of the epi w/ 2 emg's is 785USD, and the ec1000 is 850USD. Help?

Thanks
something to consider might be that the EC1000 has 24 frets, while LP has less.
Gear
Gibson Les Paul std faded, Godin LG
Marshall jcm900
Keeley ds1, maxon od808, boston tu500, RMC Wizard
Get the EC. more frets and very nice playability.
ESP Eclipse-II VTB (With 18v Mod)
Randall RG75
Tapco Mix60
New Zealand
http://www.rondomusic.com/electricguitar-ss9.html

just to add another option - i dont know how your currency relates to us dollars, but even with shipping i would imagine these would be cheaper, especially since some come with emgs already

o, btw, i know there cheap, but they are very good quality
Hmmmm.. I do like the les paul because of its tone. Because of my location I can't play the LTD, is the sound as full as the les paul's? Because if so I'm sold, but I'd also like to know how a les paul with emg's sounds like, if anyone has that combination.
Took a quick look, I've bought no names online before, and regretted it ever since, I dont' want to take that chance again, but thanks anyway.
The EC1000, no contest. Locking tuners, Tone Pros bridge, compensated nut and a way more ergonomic body.
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
Ok, so, so far everyone is unanimous towards the ec1000, for the extra cash, the sound is also better? As I've heard its lighter, does that affect tone at all?
An Eclipse sounds just as heavy as a Les Paul. And with the EMG's, no one will be able to tell the difference.
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
I ahve an Eclipse-II. Sounds awesome, much ebtter than a lesbien paul. And faster neck i reckon, easier to play.
ESP Eclipse-II VTB (With 18v Mod)
Randall RG75
Tapco Mix60
New Zealand
Save up a little bit more money and get the eclipse, Almost infinitely better
Yeah, now you're gonna die wearing that stupid little hat. How does it feel?

Help me to live.

I make custom guitar wiring harnesses and I'm pretty damn good at it!
Quote by thirdykal
Hi,

I've been searching the internet for days, and I can't find an answer to this question:
For metal, which is better in playability, sound and value, an epi les paul custom with emg 81 bridge/60 neck or an ec1000 with, I believe, the same pickup setup? I live in Shanghai, and so I've only been able to play an epi, but without emg's (the store wouldn't let me test it out), but I found the neck to be a wee bit thick. I only really use the bridge pickup so I might only get the 81 installed if I go with the epiphone. The price of the epi w/ 2 emg's is 785USD, and the ec1000 is 850USD. Help?

Thanks

if you get the ESP in vintage black, it comes with an ebony fretboard
Quote by Aussie_skater
everyone listen to PLOP he knows the way of the forum samurai

Quote by Seth Shadows
^PLOP = Best, username, ever.

REVOCATION FTW! 9/9/9
Get it in green. You know you want to.
My Gear

Guitar
DEAN Razorback Shards
Wesley crappy cheap thing

Amps
Cheap Crappy Freedom Practice AMP 15watts
VOX AD50 Valtronix
The EC-1000 is a wonderful guitar. I was actually going to buy it a while ago, but I got out of metal. The one I did play was a Vintage Black model, and it was perfect. A lot better than Epi's I have played.
High as tits
Definitely go for the EC-1000, especially if you didn't like the thickness of the Epi's neck.

EDIT:
Quote by thirdykal
Took a quick look, I've bought no names online before, and regretted it ever since, I dont' want to take that chance again, but thanks anyway.

Agile isn't a no-name brand. They are very highly respected around here for the most part. I've played an AL-2800 and they are amazing guitars for the price. But I still say the EC-1000 is the way to go.
Heads will roll. Throats will be slit. Blood will flow like springs of water.
Last edited by mafropetee at May 17, 2008,