Who said Telecasters only had one pickup?
Bands to see before I die:
Iron Maiden
Foo Fighters
Megadeth
Reel Big Fish
Rush
Streetlight Manifesto

Gear:
Epi LP Standard
Washburn Strat
Line 6 Spider (Yes, I know it's bad)

GAS:
Ibanez RG3570Z
Digitech Whammy
Teles have two pickups. Single pickup Teles are called Esquires.
You're thinking of the Esquire models. I think it gives different tonal options for the one pickup, the same way postition 4 on a Strat pickup does.
If you change the selecter a guy comes out of the nearest phone booth and inserts a new style of pickup into your guitar.
If your parents never had children, chances are, you wont either.

Member #2 of Kerry/Edwards fanclub
Telecasters have two pickups. You're thinking about the Esquire. The switch can do loads of things with just one pickup: coil tap, tone pot bypass, volume pot bypass, 'rhythm circuit', etc.

Quote by greggybhoy
You're thinking of the Esquire models. I think it gives different tonal options for the one pickup, the same way postition 4 on a Strat pickup does.

Position 4 on a strat is two pickups combined. That's not exactly possible with just one pickup.
Uh, you mean the Esquire? It's not a pickup selector. According to musiciansfriend.com it's:

"Custom-wired 3-Position blade:
Position 1: volume control with cap, no tone control
Position 2: volume control with cap and tone control with cap
Position 3: volume control only, no cap, no tone control"

EDIT: It can be also a simple tone switch, too.
Last edited by zombiak at May 17, 2008,
wow everyone has restated the exact same post like 50000 times so im just going to give my thoughts...maybe your not ready to handle a telecaster...
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Better than hooked on crack, I suppose. I'd rather know my kids are safe at home beating their meat than out in the world robbing old women for their crack fix.

Quote by *sigh*
What a huge coincidence. I have a butthole also.
Quote by slayer1516
What the hell is the pickup selector for?!?

You're thinking of the Esquire ... going by the "traditional" 3-switch configuration, here's what happens for each position:
1: Pickup, no tone control for a "hotter" lead
2: Pickup with volume + tone control
3: Pickup with preset bass tone via 1 resistor and 2 capacitors + volume control and NO Tone control.

Quote by mr_hankey

Position 4 on a strat is two pickups combined. That's not exactly possible with just one pickup.

Oh, right!
Quote by deadkenedy
If you change the selecter a guy comes out of the nearest phone booth and inserts a new style of pickup into your guitar.

that's pretty cool ^^ where can I buy such a guitar?
A hero of war, Yeah that's what I'll be

(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)
Quote by bi-ah!
wow everyone has restated the exact same post like 50000 times so im just going to give my thoughts...maybe your not ready to handle a telecaster...

Why not? I shouldn't get a Tele because I have a simple question about it?
It's stereo amp, and I don't think it's tube. However, for a stereo amp, it is very good. Don't plug guitar into it; just use it as hi-fi if it works.
Quote by jackbauer
playing by yourself is like masturbating, sure it feels great, but it's nothing compared to the real deal.

Quote by guylee
Oh Shit! I Have A Weird Growth On My Body!

To The Pit!

JOIN MY GROUP plox

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/tonelife/
Quote by USAPeavey
It's stereo amp, and I don't think it's tube. However, for a stereo amp, it is very good. Don't plug guitar into it; just use it as hi-fi if it works.

HAHAHA!
its an esquire model btw.

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
Quote by USAPeavey

No. Just no.
Quote by deadkenedy

Oh, I was wondering who that was.
Quote by Lamont

i once dreamt my wallet was on a helicopter and i chased after it. and eventually i pulled my dick out and lassoed the bottom of the copter and pulled it out of the sky. i woke up screaming
Quote by USAPeavey

what the hell?

and why not get a tele with 2 pickups ?

and buy the esquire if you want lol
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.
Quote by mr_hankey
Telecasters have two pickups. You're thinking about the Esquire. The switch can do loads of things with just one pickup: coil tap, tone pot bypass, volume pot bypass, 'rhythm circuit', etc.

+1
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by USAPeavey

what?!