Sorry if there are threads already about this.

Well my passion for music is growing and now im beginning to think that I would really love a career related with music. My family is very academic and believes that the only way to get through life is to study hard and do some boring but high paid job like medicine or engineering.

So i was wondering pit, any interesting careers related to music that would be enough to earn me a good living aswell, apart form being famous, i was thinking one of those recording studio dudes, but i need more information on this and the internet is a bit vague on all this stuff
Studio engineer? Take up a Music Engineering course at college, then possibly pursue it at Uni.
Pro groupie. Suck lots of dick and then write your memoirs, it has worked for some.
Quote by Sabu
Pro groupie. Suck lots of dick and then write your memoirs, it has worked for some.

+1

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96
Today I stole a girls tampons for being such an annoying bitch.

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
Being a successful studio engineer is about as likely as being a successful musician
Beauty Supreme

Yeah you were right about me
unless you are big, studio engineers and the like make little money. 40 thou a year is being generous...

I looked into all of that and in the music industry you make very little money whatever you are doing unless you are high up, which is a slim chance. It is extremely competitive and you work ridiculous hours-when you can even find work that is. other carriers like music related lawyers can do well, but that is becoming a lawyer and is pretty far from music...

good luck finding something you want to do, but don't plan on making money in the music biz until you are in your 40s or 50s- if you make it high enough by then. the majority of studio engineers and sound people make between 20-50 thou working in small venues and small studios. i suppose that is a decent living, it fits in with the US median salary of 30-60 thou, but if you want to get rich it just isnt the right place.
Quote by happytimeharry
ig·no·rant

1. Lacking education or knowledge.
2. Showing or arising from a lack of education or knowledge: an ignorant mistake.
3. Unaware or uninformed.

also see: elitist asshat
that depends on your perception of what 'success' is, I 'spose. Being famous is one thing, but making a living is another.
Thnks for the input guys, i guess ill have to think about this but im beginning to think it would just be a lost cause .
Life sucks
Quote by Mr.Kvx10
Thnks for the input guys, i guess ill have to think about this but im beginning to think it would just be a lost cause .
Life sucks

honestly, yes it does.
and now with a college degree being the new high school diploma, it can cost you more to go to college for a year than your yearly salary will be when you get out. ridiculous.

But that is life, you work your ass off and earn nothing. the only way to make it in life is to be lucky or a complete asshole who takes advantage of everyone, and even at that you have to be lucky too...sucks...
Quote by happytimeharry
ig·no·rant

1. Lacking education or knowledge.
2. Showing or arising from a lack of education or knowledge: an ignorant mistake.
3. Unaware or uninformed.

also see: elitist asshat
Quote by atc228
honestly, yes it does.
and now with a college degree being the new high school diploma, it can cost you more to go to college for a year than your yearly salary will be when you get out. ridiculous.

But that is life, you work your ass off and earn nothing. the only way to make it in life is to be lucky or a complete asshole who takes advantage of everyone, and even at that you have to be lucky too...sucks...

oh noe now im getting depressed. Im changing this thread into "Why the World is such an awful place and everything seems to revolve around money and bureacracy!!"
Job satisfaction > high paid job you dont like. Don't worry about money, just try and do something you enjoy and can at least get by on.

I'm working in London at the moment, doing a 12 hour day and it's really not worth it. But I still don't know what I want to do.

Btw nice hair...!
ENGL Fireball
Framus 2x12
Ibanez RG1570 - DM Breeds
Epi Les Paul - Warthog Pup
MXR 10 Band EQ
TS9
ISP Decimator
Boss DD3
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
Dunlop Crybaby

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10rdcKp317I - New X-men Theme Vid
Quote by Mr.Kvx10
My family is very academic and believes that the only way to get through life is to study hard
Even if you pursue a career in the music industry that's not bad advice. Education will never fail you. And it's not about having a diploma, it's about knowledge. Learn everything that you can and you will have the advantage no matter what you chose to pursue.

If you're going into the music business then I suggest studying business and economics, as well music (obviously). You're going to find yourself often self-employed. Whether you work as a producer, sound engineer, studio owner, song-writer, performer etc. you're going to want to have business skills and money sense. And obviously you'll want to learn everything that you possibly can about music as well.

Wouldn't hurt to brush up on law too, particularly copyright and civil law (since you'll find yourself dealing with copyright and civil contracts constantly).