what songs or w/e do you play when you go to the guitar store and play?
Quote by GiantRaven
You are not human.

I am totally serious.

Quote by tilinmyowngrave
I was inspired by someone saying they had Millionaire on their Ipod

he's talking about me!
just play whatever it is that you usually play. That way you'll get an accurate idea of how the guitar sounds for you. You don't really need to have a specific song to try a guitar out.

Play the kind of stuff you'll use the guitar for.
I recall an animated discussion about this topic some while ago. Some of the conclusions were, as far as I remember:
1) Don't play Stairway to Heaven or Nothing Else Matters. This is never appreciated and in some shops it is explicitely forbidden.
2) Never mind anyone else in the shop, be it personnel or other customers. You will either fail to impress or be accused of posing.
3) You may be allowed to play one of those very attractive but unobtainable famous brand guitars if a) you're a famous performer, surrounded by body guards and chased through the door by paperazzi or b) you actually did manage to impress the staff.
Last edited by Marcel Veltman at May 17, 2008,
Quote by Marcel Veltman

3) You may be allowed to play one of those very attractive but unobtainable famous brand guitars if a) you're a famous performer, surrounded by body guards and chased through the door by paperazzi or b) you actually did manage to impress the staff.

I never do get it when people say stuff like this. Not meaning to sound all superior or anything but in all the guitar shops that I frequent down here in Australia I never have issues with pushy salespeople or not being allowed to play a guitar. I'm not a great player by any means but no one has ever minded me picking up a Taylor or a Martin or whatever else thats worth upwards of $3k. In fact I've had guys who knew I had no intention of buying and was just having a look around after I bought some strings hand me Taylors in the acoustic section and Fender Deluxe's and Gibsons in the electric section for me to have a play on. Its not as if they think I'm likely to buy it either as I'm 17 and most 17year olds don't have a few thousand to drop on a guitar.

It just seems weird to me that it would be like that.
Whatever comes to mind song/riff wise, then a couple of open and barre chord progressions loud enough to get a feel for how it sounds, a couple of scales to feel out the neck, check for any fretouts on bends (unlikely on acoustic tho),
Let me tell you about heartache and the loss of god
Wandering, wandering in hopeless night
Out here in the perimeter there are no stars

Out here we is stoned
Immaculate.
Quote by johnos
I never do get it when people say stuff like this. Not meaning to sound all superior or anything but in all the guitar shops that I frequent down here in Australia I never have issues with pushy salespeople or not being allowed to play a guitar. I'm not a great player by any means but no one has ever minded me picking up a Taylor or a Martin or whatever else thats worth upwards of $3k. In fact I've had guys who knew I had no intention of buying and was just having a look around after I bought some strings hand me Taylors in the acoustic section and Fender Deluxe's and Gibsons in the electric section for me to have a play on. Its not as if they think I'm likely to buy it either as I'm 17 and most 17year olds don't have a few thousand to drop on a guitar.

It just seems weird to me that it would be like that.
Same here.

I usually keep some variety - fingerpicking ( "Crazy On You," James Taylor, little bit of Yes) and strumming.