I'm looking to run my guitar through a bass amp, to get a nice low Kyuss/Queens Of The Stone Age tone, but I'm wondering:

Should I use a guitar head and bass cab, or both a bass head and cab?
I'm not sure what Josh Homme uses, he's so goddamn secretive.
GHOST BLOWJOB!
WHOOO! WOOOOOOOOOOOO!
it is un-wise to run a Guitar through a Bass amp, ESPECIALLY a Bass through a Guitar amp, they are simply not made for each other and the electronics vary quite a bit in several areas.
Got a question about Baritone guitars? Feel free to PM me.

Thanks to UG, I converted from Metalcore to some "real" Metal.
Quote by Metalcoresoul
it is un-wise to run a Guitar through a Bass amp, ESPECIALLY a Bass through a Guitar amp, they are simply not made for each other and the electronics vary quite a bit in several areas.

Not quite. A bass through a guitar amp WILL destroy the speakers quite handily, as they weren't made to handle the low frequencies. However, a guitar through a bass amp is no issue at all: I've done it many times without problem.
Do YOU know who Les Paul is?

Guitars:
-Epiphone Dot Studio
Amps:
-Fender Stage 112 SE
Effects:
-BBE Soul Vibe
-Boss OD-1 Overdrive
-Ibanez DE-7 Delay
I thinks its ok to run a guitar through a bass amp, its just the low frequencies from a bass guitar than can screw up a guitar amp.
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
Quote by Wulver
Not quite. A bass through a guitar amp WILL destroy the speakers quite handily, as they weren't made to handle the low frequencies. However, a guitar through a bass amp is no issue at all: I've done it many times without problem.

You are right in the fact that a Bass WILL destroy the speakers in a Guitar amp fairly quickly. I am simply stating that I don't know if it would be the best choice to run a Guitar through a Bass amp, he would have no EQ whatsoever. But then again, he is wanting to play to QOTSA?

Why do you need a bass amp to get a QotSA tone? They don't use bass amps for their guitars.

You want the low sound that they get, you tune your guitar to drop C like they do.
Quote by icronic
Why do you need a bass amp to get a QotSA tone? They don't use bass amps for their guitars.

You want the low sound that they get, you tune your guitar to drop C like they do.

Yep, I would rather tune my guitar down rather than play through a Bass amp any day (well, I have a Baritone so ).

There are some big names who use bass amps with guitars. And there was a time when dedicated bass or guitar amps werent made.
^yeah, Anyone here ever heard of buddy guy? He uses a Bassman (I think, correct me if I'm wrong) with a strat.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Josh plays through an Ampeg VT-22, which is part of a series of Ampeg amps, both guitar and bass, that are virtually indistinguishable. However, these are hugely powerful amps, and to get them to achieve that signature sound, he drives them pretty hard and uses a full array of overdrive effects. The thing you can most do NOW to get that sound is to tune down to C.
Quote by Metalcoresoul
Yep, I would rather tune my guitar down rather than play through a Bass amp any day (well, I have a Baritone so ).

Yeah, awesome. You don't want to play your guitar through a bass amp - we get it.

TS;

If you want that desert rock sound, running a bass head through a guitar cab would be great for that. Picking up a good fuzz won't hurt either (ZVex Fuzz Factory, EHX Big Muff, Ronsound Hairpie, etc.).

Trust me, I play in a stoner rock band.
Now it's 1984
Knock knock at your front door
It's the suede denim secret police
They have come for your un-cool niece
I know they tune down to C. Hell, I've tuned to Drop D two and a half steps before (Amon Amarth and such).

I just want to know the setup.
Thanks, diditfortehlulz. Now I just have to decide whether I want the Big Muff USA or Russian.
GHOST BLOWJOB!
WHOOO! WOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Quote by Underjoggle
I know they tune down to C. Hell, I've tuned to Drop D two and a half steps before (Amon Amarth and such).

I just want to know the setup.
Thanks, diditfortehlulz. Now I just have to decide whether I want the Big Muff USA or Russian.

Sure, no problem. If I were you, I'd go with the Little Big Muff. It's an exact recreation of the NYC Muff, only in a much smaller, sturdier die-cast case, and it's true bypass. I have one, and it is just tits. The Sovtek Muff is good, but I feel that for the same price, the LBM will outperform it.

PM me, and we can get really in depth about your rig.
Now it's 1984
Knock knock at your front door
It's the suede denim secret police
They have come for your un-cool niece
Quote by Metalcoresoul
I am simply stating that I don't know if it would be the best choice to run a Guitar through a Bass amp, he would have no EQ whatsoever. But then again, he is wanting to play to QOTSA?

Ever heard of Stevie Ray Vaughan?
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
There's nothing wrong with running a guitar thru a bass amp, but you'd be better off just getting yourself a quality guitar amp and a cab with a really heavy bottom end. Like a nice oversized Mesa or an Orange.

In fact, Orange's Thunderverbs are designed for both guitar and bass. Good place to look if you have a big budget.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by slatsmania
In fact, Orange's Thunderverbs are designed for both guitar and bass. Good place to look if you have a big budget.
Isn't that just the 200w version?
Or is that also for the 50w?
GHOST BLOWJOB!
WHOOO! WOOOOOOOOOOOO!