Never heard such a thing about warping a neck using tung oil. I have a maple neck guitar with pure tung oil finish been strung up for years with no problems. How many coats is up to you. I think I put 5 on mine. Steel wool between coats. You can add dies if you want it to be a different color or darker. Just for reference tung oil was used on gun stocks and dragged thru the jungles of asia for years with no problems.
^ I did the same thing on my very first mod or Strat from parts. That was a month short of 2 years ago and the neck has been close to bullet-proof.

I probably did 4 or 5 coats ... I used WoodCraft 100% Pure Tung Oil, no hardeners.

In the past I've used 5-6 coats of Formby's Tung Oil, applying one coat every 10-12 hours. Works like a charm for me.
Yeah, I figured as much. I just need to protect the neck and keep it as smooth and fast as possible. Any recommendations on brands or types? Would this do?

http://antiquesupply.com/products/FORMBY_S_TUNG_OIL_LOW_GLOSS_8_OZ-305-136.html

One more question. Do I have to finish the rosewood fingerboard at all? I didn't think so but I could be wrong.
Quote by acdcrocks0323
Yeah, I figured as much. I just need to protect the neck and keep it as smooth and fast as possible. Any recommendations on brands or types? Would this do?

http://antiquesupply.com/products/FORMBY_S_TUNG_OIL_LOW_GLOSS_8_OZ-305-136.html

One more question. Do I have to finish the rosewood fingerboard at all? I didn't think so but I could be wrong.

I believe that should work fine.

I know you don't need to finish the Rosewood fretboard, but you do need to keep it conditioned ... like Lemon Oil, so it doesn't get too dry. The savvier builders can confirm or correct this.

don't use steel wool in between coats. Use very very fine sandpaper.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
You might prefer the High Gloss Formby's to the low gloss, I finished a guitar in the high gloss and I think it would give you a good/fast neck.