I've always done downwards only. This is wrong, right? I can't play that well when I alternate my picking. I get especially confused when I move up a string while playing a solo. Wouldn't know whether to go "down up down up" continously or alternate it to "down down up down up down up down down". You know? Something like that. Should I just stick to down only?

Also I'm having trouble alternate picking on 1 string. The pick just gets caught inbetween the string and I don't get a good rhythm out of it. But the main thing I'm worried about is just picking in general. Please help me out.
Slow down while practicing alt picking and then gradually increase speed when you feel comfortable.
Try using a metronome. That way you can slowly increase your speed and check your progress.

As for the solo thing, I think you are talking about economy picking, you could use that, or just alt picking.
Quote by MPM12
I've always done downwards only. This is wrong, right? I can't play that well when I alternate my picking. I get especially confused when I move up a string while playing a solo. Wouldn't know whether to go "down up down up" continously or alternate it to "down down up down up down up down down". You know? Something like that. Should I just stick to down only?

Also I'm having trouble alternate picking on 1 string. The pick just gets caught inbetween the string and I don't get a good rhythm out of it. But the main thing I'm worried about is just picking in general. Please help me out.

Youll get used to it. It is a different way of playing, so yes it will be confusing. Alternate picking i think is the hardest technique, when you go advanced with string skipping and such. But it will come in time.
Guys I'm seriously demotivated to play now, after these last 2 threads I made about hand placement and alternate picking.

I got kinda 'ok' at playing some little things with my own techniques but now it seems like I have to start all over again. I really would like some advice on how I should handle this.
when i started alternate picking it really messed me up and i couldn't do it at all.

Eventually you get really comfortable with it. At this point I prefer it to the point that i need to get my downpicking up to speed again.
Quote by wannabe jesus
If we did tune using the 5th fret on the G string it'd be a C. At the moment it goes G B which stands for George Bush. So obviously GB doesn't want you to C the truth! To the conspiracy cave!
You gotta practice man... There really is no way around practicing, at all.

To reiterate, start slow and gradually increase tempo - metronome helps.
you need to look up some UG alt picking lessons and work hard on them.

something as simple as 1-2-3-4 up and down each string.

it doesn't matter if you have been doing things wrong at this point, learning to alt pick isn't that difficult and you will be surprised how quickly it will be come second nature to you.

good luck.
SRV R.I.P.
Quote by MPM12
Guys I'm seriously demotivated to play now, after these last 2 threads I made about hand placement and alternate picking.

I got kinda 'ok' at playing some little things with my own techniques but now it seems like I have to start all over again. I really would like some advice on how I should handle this.

Dont be so hard on yourself. Play the way you have been playing and use alternate picking when you want to pick something that requires a lot more speed. When you get used to alternate picking, you'll love it..

My hand position is very odd but i can play good. Just do what feels comfortable. I personally find alternate picking much more controlled when its based on just the thumb and index fingers. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMHePRNb8A4 thats a vid i made on my weird way of picking
Slow down and gradually speed up, and use a metronome if you have one. I really don't recommend sticking to only down, because you won't be able to play very fast (I'm not saying it'll be slow, but if you want to get really fast you have to alternate pick).

For moving up and down strings I usually just do whatever feels comfortable based on which direction I'm moving and whether I just did up or down. You don't have to go strictly up down up down for every single note.
Quote by J_J

stupid ppl (they're like slinkies, not good for much, but they make you smile when pushed down the stairs)

Quote by Meths

Holy non-gender specific pronoun Batman!

Quote by freakypop

you dont rly play guitar if you dont shred
Ok thanks to all of you.

Now about my earlier thread..... should I continue with that "ring and pinky finger on the guitar" thing or should I practice on letting my hand roam free across the strings? I noticed nyandres playing kinda like I do.
Just dont think about it.

thats what I do
Quote by Meths
I respect and value your opinion.

Just kidding. You're a fucking retard.

Quote by Pr0gNut
You want to strap a bunch of used mattresses to the walls?

Why not just roll around naked in medical waste while you're at it?

Quote by the_perdestrian
medical waste isn't free on craigslist
I just don't want to end up developing bad habits, I'm a beginner so the best time to ask a lot of questions is now.
Quote by MPM12
Ok thanks to all of you.

Now about my earlier thread..... should I continue with that "ring and pinky finger on the guitar" thing or should I practice on letting my hand roam free across the strings? I noticed nyandres playing kinda like I do.

Yeah man dont worry about it. I can strings skip, shred like a motherfu..., sweep pick, sweep tap. So it more about your comfort. My hand is not really anchoring though. Like it is touching the body, but it is just there not holding the body. I alternate pick lots, and on the electric I can play way faster. So just play as you feel comfortable.
lightly touching the guitar with your pinkie and using a forearm plant is what a lot of professionals teach beginners how to play.

it's not a bad habit and if you feel, in the future, it's slowing you down, you will be good enough to adjust in no time.
SRV R.I.P.
Quote by dpv
lightly touching the guitar with your pinkie and using a forearm plant is what a lot of professionals teach beginners how to play.

it's not a bad habit and if you feel, in the future, it's slowing you down, you will be good enough to adjust in no time.

If this is true, then I'm somewhat relieved, but this is the first time I'm hearing this.

Why is picking never explained on beginners lessons anywhere? Almost every beginners/basics lessons immediately jumps on the chords and scales but never mentions picking patterns. I assume chords are most done downwards, but I play guitar a lot more lead guitar. Is this something teachers assume that people will just be able to figure out themself? I'm especially having trouble on deciding in what way I should pick when I move up or down a string. Let alone the troubles I have when I'm playing on a single string. Ugh.
Yeah. This used to bother me too.

Basically, you have to **** around with these things in mind; knowing how to hold guitar, to puth fingers far to the right on the fret, no fret buzz and not letting any other string ring than the one you're playing and there should be NO tension at all.

Also look up how to hold the pick. When you have gotten that down, you can change it slightly to personal preference.
Ibanez s540 with gold Schaller bridge and OMGGOLD hardware

Ibanez RGR320 with Lo-Edge Pro bridge and scalloped fretboard

Lee Jackson XLSC - 500

Roland Microcube

Dunlop Jazz III black
Quote by MPM12
I just don't want to end up developing bad habits, I'm a beginner so the best time to ask a lot of questions is now.

It is a bit of a bad habit, but as long as you don't tense up your arm (tension is baaad...) you shouldn't have too much problems adjusting to non-anchoring.

It took me about 2 weeks to adjust (playing about 2 hours every day), which isn't much in the grand scheme of things. I did adjust early on though, so it may take longer if you do it later on.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
Apparently 'anchoring' is resting your arm on the guitar? That is above the strings while you rest your wrist. I am talking about placing my ring and pinky finger with the fingertops next to the pickup selector and volume pot, close under the strings.
I'd suggest just going slow, up and down on like 3 strings, varying notes on each, to get the rythm of it.
As for solo's do what ever is easiest for you, solo's are kinda soulful when you get into, let it become your own, do what you want lol.
The gear.
Schecter S1 Diamond series.
ESP NV.
Randall G3 200W
Dunlop cry-baby wah (finally)
Line 6 spider III 15x (Small but deadly)
well you can do down down up down up down down or whatever, which i think is economy picking unless you're talking about one string only. you could do that. take it slow and practice your picking. you will get frustrated but dont stop..
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
I use to do this too. Try using a metronome and try to slowly gain speed at it, start at maybe 60 bpm. You can learn how to shred like this to if thats your thing.
I should use a metronome while practising what exactly? Link me to some tabs or articles.