I'm looking to buy a laptop that excels with recording, music editing/playing and what not.

If anyone can recommend one, that would be great
Any Mac.

Nothing that has Vista on it. The laptop I'm getting today has Vista on it but I'm going to have it dual boot XP for recording until companies start supporting Vista. I woulda bought a Mac, but they're way too expensive and a PCs excel at a lot more things than a Mac does (imo).
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Last edited by MatrixClaw at May 17, 2008,
mac all the way......
"People worry too much about tone instead of just rocking out"
mac
Quote by doggy_hat
This chick that looked like shrek ****ed me while I was passed out on xanax. I screamed when I woke up.
...actually laptops are not the best for DAW work, they are hard to keep cool and upgrade over the years...

I would go with a desktop making sure it has at least one firewire port on it. Youcan get a great desktop for cheap compared to a laptop.

BTW ill have this moved to the R&R form, have a look though Tweaks guide in my sig to see what you shoud look for in a DAW. Also look at the message boards on that page as theres info on DAWs there too.

BTW vista isnt too bad, I run a home studio myself and have a DAW PC with vista on it. Im running Cakewalk Sonar 6 Producer and an m-audio 2496 card without any problems at all. M-audio is on the ball with vista drivers and they work well.

as for recording gear, what instruments are you planning on recording and will it be only you or others recording later on?
You need a DAW, fair audio interface, mics, cables, stands, monitors, and most importantly the skill to know how to get the best out of your software and hardware.
Last edited by moody07747 at May 17, 2008,
Quote by moody07747
...actually laptops are not the best for DAW work, they are hard to keep cool and upgrade over the years...

I would go with a desktop making sure it has at least one firewire port on it. Youcan get a great desktop for cheap compared to a laptop.

That's very true, but most people prefer a Laptop for ease of transport and being able to record in places that don't have easy access to power outlets.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
If it's a laptop, get a MacBook Pro if you can, then get a firewire audio interface.
Ibanez SA-120 (ed.2006)
BluesJr 1996-B + cathode follower + texas Heat
Crate CPB150
Homemade 4 x 10 cab Bass closeback
Metal Muff
mac smack....a xp based pc is just as good as any goddamn mac...all you mac sayers probally cant even give me one good reason why a mac is better.
Tell me this...if mac is soooooooo good....then why do they now have INTEL chips and can run Microsoft OS's......huh?.....yeah, thats what i thought. Not to mention there so damn expensive and do the same crap a Windows based PC/laptop can do.

I run at my studio a laptop duo core2 setup,2 gigs of ram w/ xp with DUAL display and a firepod (yes thats 8 tracks simultaneously) straight onto the 80 gig built in hard-drive without any hiccups...Mac this!
Last edited by PsychomanZ at May 17, 2008,
Quote by Bash.org
<Ich> I've discovered that people on IRC don't get offended or riled up by racism
<Ich> nor politically incorrect jokes
<Ich> nor feminism, nazism,
<Ich> nor goatse, or even tubgirl
<Ich> not even jokes about 9/11 get a rise out of anybody
<Ich> but as soon as I tell somebody that macs are better than PC's, things get ugly

Try both out to see which you prefer.
I just bought my first mac.... I was originally going to get the Macbook but I wound up getting a Mini Mac.. cheaper than the Macbook. Might want to get it upgraded to 2GB of RAM though.
My Gear:

Schecter Hellraiser C-1 FR (EMG 85/81)
Mesa Boogie Stiletto Deuce
LOPO Custom 2x12 (Celestion V30s)
Really, I only like Macs because I like Logic. They are ridiculously priced for the spec compared to PC's, and many people get Macs simply because they look pretty.
There is poetry in despair.
Just to add my 2 cents.
Laptops are almost never good for audio intensive work. Generally the DPC (Deferred Procedure Call) latency is too high. Your best bet for the usage you described is a desktop with a PCI soundcard.
Now you don't need the soundcard it's just an added bonus.
Go with a mac. Vista is a ram hog and for recording you really need that ram.
Quote by Varkunus
well i got an MG